Series 0 Help!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AndyJoeshow, Mar 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AndyJoeshow macrumors newbie

I've had a series 0 that has been doing just fine. However I've noticed over the last month the battery had been getting shorter and shorter. Now, I'm lucky to get 4 hours before it is totally dead.

Example. I left the house at 745am and the watch was at 91% (1 hour workout prior)

At 2:15 the watch is totally dead. At one point, I watched it go from 11%- 5% in about 10 minutes. 5-4% happened while looking at the watch (less than 30 seconds)

I've repaired the watch which seemed to be a temporary fix. Before I get to the apple store, any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

AppleCare?

You can actually call Apple and let them run diagnostics on your watch thru your phone. Save a trip to the store, which does the same thing.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

How long have you had the Watch? Have you installed or been using any third-party applications? Are You up-to-date on your OS updates?

Also, executing a hard reset can ultimately repair some of the issues as well.

4. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Have you tried removing all apps only keeping the stock ones and test battery?

5. DintheD macrumors newbie

DintheD

I've just started having a similar problem in the last week. After 16 months, the battery is suddenly dying mid-afternoon after usually getting to 11pm with 20 percent left. Headed to the Genius Bar today to see what's up after re-pairing, setting up as new, etc., hasn't helped.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Curious to know what you find out from your appointment.

7. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I've had mine for a little over a year and I'm starting to really have issues with battery life. Until the last few updates, I could put my watch on at 8:00 am and it wouldn't die until about midnight. Now I put it on at 8:00 am and it's dead by the time I get off work at 5:00 pm. Very frustrating!

8. Relentless Power, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you haven't, I would try a re-pair first. And sometimes third-party applications contribute to battery issues. Or you can try a hard reset by holding down the side button and digital crown. I will try those options first and see if that makes any improvements inside the battery.

9. spazer macrumors member

I'm having this exact same problem. Please do let us know what you learn from your Genius Bar appt.

10. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Tell us what Apple says after running their diagnostics.

My guesses:
    - A third-party app got updated and is being stupid (when you re-paired and set up as new, did you only install the stock apps?);
    - The battery is already meeting the end of its useful life (which I think is a year early, but it's cheaper to replace than buying a new watch);
    - An OS update (not likely)

11. Markgnyc2 macrumors member

I am having similar issues....just got off with support and they ran diagnostics on both my phone and watch and found nothing wrong. They suggested I unpair again, reboot both devices while unpaired, and then pair again. We will see. If this doesn't work I will have to make a genius bar appt.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

To Be honest, you can get the same advice On here. Apple can only likely tell you so many things with a re-pair, hard reset, issues third-party applications. If those above options I listed do not assist in the battery improvement, then you might be looking at a battery replacement, which you then would have to send to Apple.

13. AndyJoeshow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

After a lengthy diagnostic session with an apple tech via chat, they recommended I get a replacement (have applecare)

While the test didn't show an issue with the battery, there was enough evidence to prove something wasn't working.

Took in person to an apple store (if you swap during the chat, they pre authorize a card the cost of the new one where the store does not) and they found the case and started the process. The genius said that sometimes the motherboard becomes loose and can stop functioning with the battery correctly.

Should have a new unit in 7-10 days.

Thanks for all the help everyone

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Interesting about the motherboard contributing to the battery. Something new I haven't heard of before.

15. AndyJoeshow thread starter macrumors newbie

***UPDATE***

Sent the watch to Apple for repair. Got it back saying that it had been repaired and was no longer displaying the symptoms described. Took it for a test run yesterday and took it off the charger at 5:30am, one hour work out and all day at work. Last night at 10pm put it back with about 35% remaining, so back to levels where it was prior to the last month.

The letter from the repair center was pretty vague, but it seems to be working well again. Glad to have it back. The 10 days without it was really difficult. I've become so used to the connivence that it provides!

Thanks for everyone's help and feedback!!

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Interesting. I'm wondering what they repaired or the initial issue was. Thanks for the update and glad it's functioning normal.