Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
Hey together,

My Series 3 (bought this year) keeps restarting after the upgrade to WatchOS 7. Before that, it worked really great and stable.
I did a complete reset (and didnt restored a backup) but the problem is still there. It happens 2-3 times per day, randomly, when wearing it (no action, no touch, nothing).

Anyone except me encountering this problem? Of course, its a .0-release and the Series 3 might not be as popular anymore as 4, 5 or 6 - but maybe some of you have this bug, too.

Greetings!

cygnusjen

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
Cincinnati, OH
Hmmm maybe I should stop trying to get this to even download on my watch. I have Unpaired and completely reset the thing multiple times trying to free up the space to even be able to do the update and keep failing

Undertakercl

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
I think it may have something to do with some watch faces... Namely the animated ones. I‘ll keep you posted guys.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Might it also have to do with battery health. Some Series 3 might be old enough to have OS7 use more battery and thus reboots. Could also be working memory runs out and reboots. Just throwing out theories.

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
I’m using utility, that isn’t animated, one swipe left is toy story but I very much doubt it’s an accidental swipe as don’t ever recall seeing the wrong watch face.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Except @MrMapple (the OP) reported he brought his series 3 this year.
Sorry, missed that. The Series 3 has 768mb RAM (working memory) vs 1GB on the Series 4/5. Could make a difference. I know that when the ipad 2 came out and iOS was updated for it, my ipad 1 constantly rebooted as it had half as much memory. Very annoying. A good reason to buy with enough memory and not go for the cheaper models.

Dan East

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
Same. My Series 3 has been flawless for months until today, after upgrading it to WatchOS 7 overnight. It has restarted at least 3-4 times already. I can tell after each reboot because the watch is locked and not connected to my phone. I finally caught it just now in the process of actually rebooting with the Apple Logo. Without a doubt this is due to the upgrade last night. This watch is not even a year old, and the battery lasts 24+ hours each charge for me.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
The Series 3 has 768mb RAM (working memory) vs 1GB on the Series 4/5

Doesn’t explain why there are folk out there with perfectly happy Series 3 watches. Including myself and my 3 year old series 3.

There has to be another reason that’s more user/environmental based that’s causing these issues.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It seems to be an issue with the S3 watch. Here's to hoping 7.0.1 or 7.1 fixes it.

It happened today to me during a workout, super annoying! Luckily, it seems to only be a software issue though.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Try check your watch's storage stats in the iPhone Watch app: General > About. Might be one or your apps do any of you have third party apps installed?

Dave

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Doesn’t explain why there are folk out there with perfectly happy Series 3 watches. Including myself and my 3 year old series 3.

There has to be another reason that’s more user/environmental based that’s causing these issues.

Do you have a cellular watch ? I think this issue tends to be seen on cellular series 3 watches - one thread I saw suggested it is connected to connecting / disconnecting from wifi through the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.