Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Finally got my new Nike Series 4 watch (after a 25 day wait from time of order to time of delivery) and now I need to sell my Nike Series 3, and I'm not quite sure which way to sell it. It's the 42mm, GPS only watch in space gray with two months of AppleCare remaining, so it does have some value left in it. Apple is willing to give me $125 for it and I keep the charger and watch band.

On eBay they go for a bit more, $180-$220, but I'd have to part with the watch band and charger and of course, pay eBay and PayPal their respective fees. Not a big fan of Craig's list, so I'm going to pass on that option.

I feel like $125 is a bit low to sell to Apple. But, I do get to keep the charger and watch band and I don't have to deal with the possibility of scammers on eBay. On the flip side, I've sold over 200 things on eBay and never been scammed, so selling my Series 3 on eBay might just be fine. Curious what you guys have to say about this, and how you would go about selling my watch. Apple? eBay? Some other way? Thanks!

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Meh sell to Apple. Once you get through eBay fees and then PayPal fees ( like wtf ?) you’ll end up close to apples price anyways. I stopped selling on eBay not because of scams or whatnot which I haven’t had happen but because of all the fees to do so which is dumb. I live in NYC so I rather use Facebook marketplace or Craigslist even.

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
Finally got my new Nike Series 4 watch (after a 25 day wait from time of order to time of delivery) and now I need to sell my Nike Series 3, and I'm not quite sure which way to sell it. It's the 42mm, GPS only watch in space gray with two months of AppleCare remaining, so it does have some value left in it. Apple is willing to give me $125 for it and I keep the charger and watch band.

On eBay they go for a bit more, $180-$220, but I'd have to part with the watch band and charger and of course, pay eBay and PayPal their respective fees. Not a big fan of Craig's list, so I'm going to pass on that option.

I feel like $125 is a bit low to sell to Apple. But, I do get to keep the charger and watch band and I don't have to deal with the possibility of scammers on eBay. On the flip side, I've sold over 200 things on eBay and never been scammed, so selling my Series 3 on eBay might just be fine. Curious what you guys have to say about this, and how you would go about selling my watch. Apple? eBay? Some other way? Thanks!

Well, if you factor in the $125 from Apple, plus $49 for the band, and $29 for the charging puck ($203 total), is there an advantage to selling on eBay?

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Well, if you factor in the $125 from Apple, plus $49 for the band, and $29 for the charging puck ($203 total), is there an advantage to selling on eBay?
thanks. agree with you. will probably head up to apple store and do the deed for $125.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I just sold my SSSB S3 to Apple for £195 three weeks ago. I kept my band (£49) and charging block (£25), so in my mind I got £250 for it without any of the hassle of eBay etc. You get less, but you get less hassle and once you factor in the band etc you aren't far off.

Just my opinion, but I think the Apple store is a good deal.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL

While it doesn't seem to apply to you, I think a lot of people don't realize if you are trading it in for a refund on a purchase (instead of a gift card), Apple also refunds the sales tax on the refunded amount.

So in Florida, for example, it would be $125 refund plus another $8.75 in tax.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
In the UK eBay do regular “sell for £1” offers so it’s often worth waiting on one of those.

Facebook marketplace is also a decent option.

To me $125 is ridiculously low, but I’m used to UK prices.

Also the value of the band if it’s a sport loop is minimal, it only gets a $50 value when new and in retail packaging. It also depends if you need multiple bands.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is my own personal viewpoint on eBay, and Why I don’t sell any my Apple products online anymore. Simply because of the reason the amount of fraud that follows and I have read/heard absolute terrible stories Of honest people being Frauded by sellers/buyers with alterior motives. (There is ample discussion on Multiple forums on these types of issues.)

I would rather sell locally with cash in hand, or trade in and accept a ‘financial hit’ on the product, but for me, it’s piece of mind knowingly that I don’t have to worry days/weeks/months later for someone and file a claim against someonethat is untrue. My time is _way_ too valuable for someone trying to outsmart me, which won’t happen with preventative measures.

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
I would say Swappa (seen watch only no bands on there before), but like eBay and others you have to wait for someone to buy it and I think there is a 10% sellers fee. With Apple it’s basically guaranteed to get the $125 for it without doing any effort or taking pictures, shipping fees, .etc.

Reactions: BillGates1969

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
While it doesn't seem to apply to you, I think a lot of people don't realize if you are trading it in for a refund on a purchase (instead of a gift card), Apple also refunds the sales tax on the refunded amount.

So in Florida, for example, it would be $125 refund plus another $8.75 in tax.
Actually, this does apply to me as I am trading it in on a purchase made direct from Apple. Of course, they want to see my Series 4 watch and get the serial number off it, then after that, they'll credit $125 back to my credit card toward my Series 4 purchase from four weeks ago. And tax too, I hope! Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Actually, this does apply to me as I am trading it in on a purchase made direct from Apple. Of course, they want to see my Series 4 watch and get the serial number off it, then after that, they'll credit $125 back to my credit card toward my Series 4 purchase from four weeks ago. And tax too, I hope! Thanks for the tip.
Great! Somehow the tax advantage doesn’t get mentioned.

I traded in 3 watches for my family, so tax added up.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The credit is a refund, which includes tax collected at the time of sale.

Nah that’s what I’m saying is the full tax paid stays.

Trading in apple gear isn’t a tax shield against the final cost

(Ie you get a Xr for $800 and trade an x for
$500 you aren’t paying tax on the $300, you pay tax on full cost @ $800 and get a refund for whatever the amount is of the trade in. You don’t get a partial tax refund or anything of the sort which is how you
Make it sound ... unless I’m just tired :p)

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Nah that’s what I’m saying is the full tax paid stays.

Trading in apple gear isn’t a tax shield against the final cost

(Ie you get a Xr for $800 and trade an x for
$500 you aren’t paying tax on the $300, you pay tax on full cost @ $800 and get a refund for whatever the amount is of the trade in. You don’t get a partial tax refund or anything of the sort which is how you
Make it sound ... unless I’m just tired :p)
When I got my refund from Apple, they did refund the state sales tax on the amount of the refund.
Several other members have confirmed this.

Perhaps it's different in other countries where VAT is part of the final price, but it the US, sales tax is added on top of the price.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
When I got my refund from Apple, they did refund the state sales tax on the amount of the refund.
Several other members have confirmed this.

Perhaps it's different in other countries where VAT is part of the final price, but it the US, sales tax is added on top of the price.

I’m in the US that wasn’t the case for me. Interesting. Oh well!

I did trade it in a few days after buying Xr not at time of purchase. Wonder if that changes things.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Selling any Apple products on eBay attracts too many scammers. I got lots of bids but the winner turned out to be a pita. One even wanted to know if I would accept monthly payments
I found gumtree the same in the UK. I once had a iPhone 7+ on sale last year for £550 and had people emailing saying they really love it and want it and will pick up today, but can't stretch to £550 so would I accept £100 lol. One even gave me a sob story of how she was 16 and her parents never buy her anything so would I accept £50 now and then £50 every month for 10 months...

Reactions: Newtons Apple

DukeSilver79

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
Even though $125 isn't a great amount, I might just do the same. Like you said, I get to keep the extra charger and sometimes I just don't feel like messing with online sales.

Nevermind. I see it's for credit only. I already bought my series 4. I guess it's Craigslist, then.

Last edited:

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I found gumtree the same in the UK. I once had a iPhone 7+ on sale last year for £550 and had people emailing saying they really love it and want it and will pick up today, but can't stretch to £550 so would I accept £100 lol. One even gave me a sob story of how she was 16 and her parents never buy her anything so would I accept £50 now and then £50 every month for 10 months...

I'd have been all over that! What could go wrong!?

Reactions: BillGates1969

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
I sold my Series 2 on OfferUp for $160 but I got it for $200 on Letgo after using about 9 months. But now that Black Friday is nigh, it shouldn't make much of a difference between Apple and an individual buyer.
But do read the individual reviews and verification status before you get into business with anyone on these apps.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I sold my S3 aluminum (GPS + Cellular) on Swappa last week after my S4 came in the mail from Best Buy. After PP fees and shipping, I netted $225.

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Just picked up a s4 today and traded in my s3 for $125. They only took the body and gave me back the band. I didn't even bring in my charger but they never even asked for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.