Series 4 GPS is awful when running.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pewpewpew, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Pewpewpew macrumors member

Done 6 runs now and all of them the GPS trial is all over the place. Walking it seems to be more accurate.

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Series 3 has been reliable. Unlikely Apple has screwed things up on the S4.

Can you be more specific with your complaints?

4. Pewpewpew thread starter macrumors member

It cuts all the corners and has me running through buildings and gardens and random straight bits. Gold stainless steel 44mm.

5. Monkswhiskers macrumors regular

My 3 wasn't great at first, distance was 30% out over 1.5 miles but got better over a week. I think it might need to build up a cache of gps sattelites.

6. gsucyclist macrumors regular

gsucyclist

I run with my watch 20+ miles a week and mine has been great

7. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Sounds like it's polling too infrequently.

8. MacWorld78 macrumors 6502

MacWorld78

i havent tried running outdoor with my AW4 but I've done walking - yeah sometime GPS trial go offside for some reason, maybe im thinking AW4 is trying to save the battery's resource.

9. Pewpewpew thread starter macrumors member

Is that fixable?

10. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

I also have not had an issue - tracking matches my memory of the routes I’ve ran. I just need to figure out how to improve my pace so I can respond appropriately to the new pace alerts!

11. MatsSkoe macrumors member

MatsSkoe

Try again with Workout. I found that in between updates for example RunKeeper had issues with AW2. The native app and Nike+ worked without problems.

12. sosumi99 macrumors 6502

sosumi99

Definitely sounds like it's polling too infrequently. Surprising since that's not the case on the Series 2 even. I'm not aware of a setting you can change. If others are not seeing this, you may want to take your watch in to Apple.

13. alent1234 macrumors 603

GPS is a low power and high frequency signal. It will be flaky in buildings and around tall buildings

14. chanerz macrumors 65816

Mine has been great. I run in an open field. No buildings.

15. avkam macrumors member

What app are you using to monitor your route? I haven't use built in app for a long time, but yesterday I tested it for cycling and my route in the Activity app was way off. But, when I imported the same workout into RunGap, the same route is displayed exactly right!

This was just a one test, so maybe this isn't the same problem you have. I'm using AWS2 (still waiting my S4).

16. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

My 3 is nowhere near as accurate as my cheapo mk1 garmin vivoactive
    It was so bad I went for a run with both my Apple Watch and garmin with a chest strap
    The Apple Watch read about 10 bpm higher than the garmin and the god tracking was crap compared to the garmin

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No wrist-based heart rate monitor is a match for a chest strap at this point.

Otherwise, I've run thousands of miles with my S3 watch, on routes I've run thousands of miles on with my Garmin's. The results are generally well within the acceptable variations for GPS tracking. Both are consistent to themselves from run to run - even in the heavily wooded valley trails that I frequent. I've run multiple certified road races with the S3 where it has been accurate to less that .1 mile - as good or better than my Garmin's.

18. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

Brexit, we Brits aren’t allowed to use European satellites anymore :p

19. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Also if you really want a chest strap for monitoring your heart the Apple Watch can connect to those over Bluetooth.

20. iJeremy macrumors member

iJeremy

I'm having similar poor results with GPS accuracy while running the same course I run every morning with my new Apple Watch Series 4. It was pretty accurate on the first morning run, but now seems to be underestimating mileage so my 4.1 mile run is now a 3.9 mile run even though it's the identical course. As a result my pace has dropped by almost a minute. My previous watch was a Garmin Forerunner 935 and its GPS was always reliable. I've noticed there's no wait time for the GPS to lock on when you start a run. Maybe it's not locking on right away and that's causing the discrepancies.

21. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I use ismoothrun and you can wait for a satellite lock before starting the clock.

22. iJeremy macrumors member

iJeremy

Good to know. I'll try it. Thanks.

23. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Now that I think about it, I always carry my iPhone, so the iPhone app allows you to lock in before starting. I'm not sure if the AW-ismoothrun app has that feature.

24. iJeremy macrumors member

iJeremy

I always run with my iPhone too. Which iPhone app?

25. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Ismoothrun. To me, it has the best integration between the aw and the iPhone. The when you run with the iPhone, the AW is basically a second screen for the iPhone app. Uses the iPhones GPS so it saves battery.

Not the most polished looking app, but it respects the user by allowing the data to be shared to just about anything service.