Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
My wife and I currently have the Series 4 SS watches, we just cant see upgrading annually like I do with the phones when it comes to the watch. Before the Unveil, I was all hyped to upgrade us to the Series 7, but when Apple showed it off, and it not having any new sensors, or much of any other major upgrades, I am torn on if I should wait till next years Series 8, due to I would assume we will see a major upgrade in that cycle, or should I get the Series 7? My wife already said if I get a Series 7, I am not upgrading it next year lol.

Last edited:

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
get one 7 for your wife now, and inherit 7 from her in 2022 and get her 8 instead...
I am the one who always wants the newest tech, She says she wants to skip the 7 due to not much has changed, I on the other hand was hopeful of all the rumors that were totally wrong so as I was saying, My biggest fear is getting a 7 and the 8 will be a big upgrade year.

Trying to see if others are in the same boat as me and what others are thinking. :)

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I am the one who always wants the newest tech, She says she wants to skip the 7 due to not much has changed, I on the other hand was hopeful of all the rumors that were totally wrong so as I was saying, My biggest fear is getting a 7 and the 8 will be a big upgrade year.

Trying to see if others are in the same boat as me and what others are thinking. :)

Well we thought we were getting big upgrade this year and that did not happen. I would not hold my breath for major changes to the design for next year. Apple seems to do these screen size adjustments every 3 years so next year might be the same form factor with maybe more health sensors

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

while the larger display is a nice feature, and so would AOD, my S4 SBSS was replaced thru AC+ about 3 months ago, so I have a totally pristine S4 with a new battery and I just can't see myself getting the S7, esp given the little value the S4 now has. It still meets all my (current) requirement, so I am holding onto to it for at least another year

Reactions: C7 POWER

ElDuderino91

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2020
My S5 has 94% battery health. It serves me well. I was super hyped for the S7 and then when they revealed it was so disappointing to see none of the interesting rumors came true. No better battery, no new health sensors and not even a faster cpu…

All in all the S7 seems to be a S6 with bigger screen and thicker glas. And I’m still not sure if they made the glass thicker as a real world improvement or if there is something true about the last minute change rumors and therefore the thicker glass is just some kind of workaround the marketing dudes trying to sell as a improvement…

I planned to get my first SS or Ti watch with the S7 but I fear the S8 will be a big upgrade and then it would hurt my butt spending so much money on a watch I‘ll probably keep just for one year.

I currently plan to get an aluminum S7 and then upgrade to a SS S8 if it will be the big upgrade we all hoped the S7 would be.

My next problem is the color. Midnight looks a little too blue for my taste. Green could be too ugly in the real world and doesn’t match with a lot of bands and outfits. I can’t understand why they didn’t keep the casual grey and silver colors.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I also have Series 4. Battery health is 90%.... I have no intention of getting Series 7 at this point. If an accident happens sometime in the future, then that will change.

I went from Series 0 to Series 4. The larger display alone was enough of a reason to switch, and there were plenty of others. However, from 4 to 7... I haven't seen the 7 in person, but my overall impression is, yeah, the display is larger, but I'm more than fine with the Series 4 display. Always-on hasn't been a compelling upgrade for me, either. Based on the current situation I can make it to Series 8 without a problem, so I'll wait to see if there's something that pushes my buttons (Side or Digital Crown) at that point.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

No need to fear, it’s guaranteed the 8 will be better than the 7, that’s the nature of technology. Just sell the watch next year if you really must have the 8

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
My wife's 40mm SS S4 is at 75% of battery health; so I need to do something. I was originally planning to get her the S7 but honestly - I am a bit disappointed with it all and she does not really care about anything that would give her. I think I'll replace the battery in her S4 and wait to see if next year there is a significant update for her.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I don’t think it’s worth it at all coming from a Series 6 since you got AoD and O2 sensor, and probably not even a Series 5 since you got AoD. I was set to upgrade my Series 5, but with no real change to the form factor, no new sensors over the Series 6, it’s not a tempting upgrade. Next year, hopefully the watch gets the flat edges rumored for this year plus additional sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrandeLatte

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I don’t think it’s worth it at all coming from a Series 6 since you got AoD and O2 sensor, and probably not even a Series 5 since you got AoD. I was set to upgrade my Series 5, but with no real change to the form factor, no new sensors over the Series 6, it’s not a tempting upgrade. Next year, hopefully the watch gets the flat edges rumored for this year plus additional sensors.
The flat edge design didn’t work which is why apple opted for plan B. You won’t see the flat edges next year, however you will see either body temperature sensor or blood pressure. Unfortunately glucose is years away.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The flat edge design didn’t work which is why apple opted for plan B. You won’t see the flat edges next year, however you will see either body temperature sensor or blood pressure. Unfortunately glucose is years away.
Glucose is the real game changer. The current CGM out there require expensive monthly subscriptions. Blood pressure would be a nice addition as well.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
My wife's 40mm SS S4 is at 75% of battery health; so I need to do something. I was originally planning to get her the S7 but honestly - I am a bit disappointed with it all and she does not really care about anything that would give her. I think I'll replace the battery in her S4 and wait to see if next year there is a significant update for her.
Just checked mine, Mine is at 78% but I wear mine daily, My wifes sits on the charger a lot since working from home. Hers is at 85% still. We both bought ours on launch day when the S4's came out.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Well I have a S4, so that doesnt help lol

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My wife and I currently have the Series 4 SS watches, we just cant see upgrading annually like I do with the phones when it comes to the watch. Before the Unveil, I was all hyped to upgrade us to the Series 7, but when Apple showed it off, and it not having any new sensors, or much of any other major upgrades, I am torn on if I should wait till next years Series 8, due to I would assume we will see a major upgrade in that cycle, or should I get the Series 7?
Series 4 to Series 7 is a fairly significant upgrade. I don't think it's worth upgrade from Series 5 or 6, however.
  • Screen: 20% larger screen which is nearly the same increase as 6.1" to 6.7" iPhone (23% larger). Always On Display. More durable and dust proof.
  • Blood Oxygen sensor, compass, and always on altimeter.
  • 20% faster processor with 32 GB storage (vs. 16 GB).
  • 5 GHz Wi-Fi, U1 ultrawideband.
  • Faster charging (Series 6 is 20% faster than Series 4 and 5. Series 7 is 33% faster than Series 6).
  • New color options.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Some people on this forum make things a lot harder than they really need to be. We are talking about a watch not a house or $75K car. Do your own research and then try the watch hands on for 10 - 12 days. Don't rely on forum strangers to make up your mind for you on whether to purchase or not. Only you and your wife should be making those kinds of decisions together.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Well I have a S4, so that doesnt help lol
I’m not even sure I would upgrade from a Series 4. The Series 4 felt like such a massive upgrade over the Series 3, and really it was. Massive speed gain, better design with bigger display. The Series 7 looks just like the Series 4 through 6 and is only subtly larger. To each their own, but if it were me with a Series 4, I’d hold out one more year.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Some people on this forum make things a lot harder than they really need to be. We are talking about a watch not a house or $75K car. Do your own research and then try the watch hands on for 10 - 12 days. Don't rely on forum strangers to make up your mind for you on whether to purchase or not. Only you and your wife should be making those kinds of decisions together.
I’m not upgrading this year, but I agree with your post 100%.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Yes on the research part. It's a bit trickier to try the watch, especially if you are taking advantage of Apple's trade in promotion ($100 for Series 4).

I think Apple designs Apple Watches with a 3 years upgrade cycle.

Upgrading from Series 0 to Series 4 (3 year since Series 1 came out on the same year as Series 2) gets you about 33% larger display, much faster processor, larger storage and RAM, more sensors, and many appreciable quality of life improvements.

While upgrading from Series 4 to 7 isn't as dramatic, it still nets you 20% larger display, noticeably faster (although not as dramatic) processor, larger storage upgrade, more sensors, and many appreciable quality of life improvements.

Obviously the longer you wait, more dramatic the upgrade. For instance, Series 8 may launch with the skin temperature sensor (glucose and/or blood pressure look further away in the development cycle).

ElDuderino91

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2020
All this talk about not updating the processor in the new S7. Like what apps are you all running that require a faster processor? I've never once felt it needed to be faster and that's owning an S5 that has the S4 chip in it.
I’ve had a lot of performance issues with my S5 lately.. Eg. when trying to change complications the Watch Face previews don’t come up and so they don’t react when touching them.. after a few seconds they pop up.

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
I’ve had a lot of performance issues with my S5 lately.. Eg. when trying to change complications the Watch Face previews don’t come up and so they don’t react when touching them.. after a few seconds they pop up.
I don't have this issue at all. No delay at all on my S5.

Reactions: sfrangu

asparagus

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Having followed Apple for a long time, I'm always impressed at how 'oh my god the next one is going to be sooo much better' there is floating around. Ignore it. What if S8 comes out and it's...the same as S7, but with one extra sensor you don't care about?

Don't make a decision about a hyped product that doesn't exist. Analyze S4 vs. S7. Me, personally, I went from S0 to S4 and loved it; I'm planning to upgrade to S7. I'll get the $100 trade in and do aluminum, so it'd be ~$300 to upgrade for a bigger screen, newer internals, and all around better product. If S8 is truly that mind-blowingly awesome, I'll just eat the $ on that upgrade. But the rumor mill is always saying how the next one is the one to get. Literally the day before the 13 announcement, they were hyping the features on the 14 (OMG! fingerprint scanner! no notch! cures cancer!).

Love the tech you have, don't pine for a hyped product that doesn't exist and won't even be announced for a year.

A very real scenario for me, though, was that the wife OK'd an upgrade of my iphone X in July. At that point, it was worth waiting a couple months for whatever I knew would be out in September. But even though 13 vs. 12 ended up being a minor upgrade, I knew it was going to be updated, so I was willing to wait a couple months. But not buying b/c the rumor mill's fantasy land specs didn't come out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.