MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Professional image editing app Affinity Photo, created by the same team that's behind the award-winning Affinity Designer app, is today launching in the Mac App Store. Affinity Photo is designed to allow photographers to enhance, edit, and retouch images and is the culmination of five years of work.

The app includes a huge range of photo editing tools for everything from minor manipulations to drastic edits that alter shapes and remove objects from images. It's been in beta testing since February and has been updated with features and improvements that beta testers have requested.

affinityphoto1.jpg

As an app oriented at professionals, Affinity Photo includes features like lens and exposure corrections, live filter layers, controls for channels and masks, advanced layer handling, RAW support, 16-bit channel editing, ICC color management, detailed EXIF info, Photoshop PSD import and export, and frequency separation editing that separates color from texture for retouching skin. According to Affinity Photo's developers, the speed at which it completes tasks and the app's ability to show edits in real time are the most notable features to be aware of.
"The performance of the product is what we are most proud of," said Tony Brightman, head of Affinity development. "We take full advantage of all the latest Apple technologies like OpenGL, Grand Central Dispatch and Core Graphics. What this means to the user is whether it's a 100 megapixel image or a complex composition with 1000s of layers, you can still pan and zoom at 60fps and see live views of all adjustments, brushes, blend modes and filters with no compromise. It's this speed and depth of features which really makes Affinity Photo a joy to use, and sets it apart from anything else out there."

Affinity Photo also includes specific task-focused workspaces for developing, post-processing, liquify, and export, plus it has customizable toolbars with drag and drop panels. It offers vector drawing and text editing tools, an advanced brush engine with custom brush options, unlimited layers, a snapping system with pixel alignment, and an undo history for undoing changes.

affinityphotolivelighting.jpg

For retouching and making corrections to photos, there's an Inpainting brush for removing unwanted objects, a selection brush for selecting detailed elements in an image, a tool for removing blemishes and red eye, single-plane and dual-pane perspective correction, and a Liquify tool for manipulating images with warps, pinches, twirls, and more. There are also quite a few effects for adding features like tilt-shift, shadows, glow, blurs, and distortions.

affinityphotoliquify.jpg

In addition to taking advantage of features like OpenGL and Core Graphics, Affinity Photo is compatible with Macs that have a Force Touch trackpad, enabling pressure sensitivity. It supports Retina displays, is fully optimized for 64-bit and multi-core processors, and includes iCloud Drive support.

To celebrate its launch, Affinity Photo is available from the Mac App Store for $39.99 until July 23. After that time, the price will increase to $49.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Serif's Image Editing App 'Affinity Photo' Launches for Mac

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I feel like we're having a bit of an art/design app renaissance at the moment!

Between this, Pixelmater, Affinity Designer, Mischief, Procreate, Sketchbook and others.. I still need my Photoshop but I'm really getting to the point that my photography (photoshop+lightroom) package is more for Lightroom than Photoshop.. And if Apple's Photos keeps improving and these plucky startups keep at it... Maybe one day I won't even need Lightroom OR Photoshop? @_@

That day seems a long way off though, but wow. Happy to be a Mac+iOS artist.

Now Apple just need to release that 12" iPad pro with force touch and good stylus support. :D

Comment

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
Nice looking app. I wonder if it will support integration with OS X Photos after El Capitan lands...

Comment

katnoodle

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2006
Bath, UK
Fantastic app. Was lucky enough to use the beta for the last few months and its a very strong competitor for Photoshop. £30 on the UK app store is a no brainer. The way Affinity (Serif) have been updating Affinity Designer and responding to user feedback on their forums (https://affinity.serif.com/forum/) gives me much hope for the long term future of both apps.

They've got some great videos on Vimeo if you want to see what it can do...

Comment

LucasEVille

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Nottingham & London, UK
Serif have definitely picked up their game since I worked there back in 2006, company was a joke back then. Made a lot of redundancies in the inbound call departments.

Comment

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I see there's an Indesign competitor on the way as well; Affinity Publisher. Personally, I think they could have used a better name, but again, it would be good if it provides true competition.

Reactions: Mainyehc
Comment

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
So, I've downloaded it and had a play.

The first launch took a while, but the second time the app opened almost instantly on my 2012 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM.

As a Photoshop user obviously there's a bit of a relearning curve, but most of the shortcuts are the same, and the tools in general work in the same way, so I was up and running very quickly. There's an optional Assistant which is very useful. The interface it is very clean and modern, although I couldn't find a way of saving a workspace.

Performance seems as advertised; real-time effects, smooth zooming and panning. (I downloaded the 395MB RGB layered model image that's presented on the opening screen for testing).

CMYK support is a massive plus. This and the user interface alone will make this a better choice than Pixelmator for many people.

I'm sure that if I started using this as my daily Image processor, I would find many things missing that I use in Photoshop, but it's a solid start, and at the current price (£29.99 in the UK), it's a no-brainer for anyone that doesn't want the commitment of Creative Cloud.

Comment

kevin4

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
Wow I can't believe it took 5 years, I'm glad for the guys behind it. I tried Affinity Designer after they won the Apple Design Award and it is amazing, it replaced Illustrator for me. I don't do much photography editing but if I ever need to I know where to look at.

Reactions: Mainyehc
Comment

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
So, I've downloaded it and had a play.

As a Photoshop user obviously there's a bit of a relearning curve, but most of the shortcuts are the same, and the tools in general work in the same way, so I was up and running very quickly. There's an optional Assistant which is very useful. The interface it is very clean and modern, although I couldn't find a way of saving a workspace.
Does it support layer effects? And if it does - can it display a PSD's ones correctly? That's the main thing I have a problem with in alternative software, so many years using "stroke", "outer glow." etc, loading old files in usually means having to come up with new ways to do things.

Comment

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Very cool - I'm a big Pixelmator fan. It's always great to see even more competition.

Question ~ if they're using all the most recent technologies (core graphics, etc), does that mean that when El Capitan comes out, metal will already be enabled? Or is that something they need to enable manually?

Comment

Emiljabo

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
Hi guy's,

Does this program support paths? If so can you run brushes along the paths etc... Copy/paste from Illustrator...

Big fan of Photoshop since 3.0, use it professionally on a daily basis so a change to this app would take some extra homework to make the switch, but in your honest opinion how far away is this app from PS?

I really hope this app becomes a serious contender for competition to PS. I have long since become seriously annoyed at how buggy PS has become and the complete lack of assistance from the developers when you point out these bugs that screw up your work flow. It's almost as if they think "Well there's nothing else you can use in a professional environment so we will just ignore you" kind of attitude. Since they bought Macromedia there really is no competition which is a bad thing. Then well the subscription, for a small freelance it can become a worry. If this app can do everything that I need to do in PS then I wouldn't look back... :)

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Does it support layer effects?
Yes. I've been one of the beta testers as well. I'm really impressed with it, especially the warp tool. The only thing that seems to be missing (unless I haven't figured it out yet) is a decent lasso tool. Their implementation is strange and I've never gotten it to work correctly. But outside of that, it could easily replace Photoshop for most people.

Comment

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I've been using the beta on and off for a short while. Have always found myself going back to Photoshop, simply because I know how to do things in PS (been a PS user for over 20 years ever since version 2.5). However, I don't like Adobe's subscription pricing model. I cancelled my CC membership after the first year and went back to my last boxed version of PS (which, for me, is CS5). PS CS5 has a few problems on my system, such as not supporting my retina screen and for some reason it won't save to my NAS drive (I have to work off the local machine and then copy across).

At £29.99 (UK) Affinity Photo is an absolute no brainer, so I'm going to purchase it and then try very hard to switch from CS5. After so many years it'll take some time, however the benefits are there to be seen, there's no doubt.

I wanted to switch when Pixelmator came out. I bought that too, but never got on with it (largely due to the interface). Affinity Photo's interface looks much better so I'm more hopeful this time.

If all goes well, I'll only have Adobe InDesign to replace and then I'll be very close to being Adobe free (apart from very occasional use of Acrobat Pro 9). Go back just a few years and I was using a whole load of their apps which are now consigned to history (Illustrator, Premiere, Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, Lightroom, Dreamweaver, Flash, InDesign). Dreamweaver got worse and worse with each update so I had to find an alternative for that, but the others were working fine for me until Adobe made me start renting their software and then the search for alternatives began...

It's a great time to be an OS X user.

Comment

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
Their illustration app Affinity Designer was just updated today, and it now supports the Photos library. So I'd wager there's a really good chance for Affinity Photo -- probably even before El Cap.

Nice. The ideal story would be:

Open picture in Photos.
Edit it using Affinity Photo.
Straight back (non-destructively) to Photos.

Or have non-destructive Affinity filters that can be invoked from within Photos.

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
This is awesome. I have spent 10 years getting used to and learning every tiny last thing about Photoshop to the point of being sick of it, and starting again will be a pain, but more than ever, it's time to abandon Photoshop and its endless bugs, performance problems and its strange legacy things (Reliance on apply image, Liquify as a plug-in, no live filter layers, etc...).

Comment

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Another weird question.. Does it support photoshop brushes? What's it like as an illustration tool? (Clearly not its primary intended use, but photoshop copes pretty well..)

Reactions: Emiljabo
Comment

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Am I correct in that this app doesn't have any DAM features, just image adjustments? What DAM app would be a good partner? I'm asking from the perspective of replacing Aperture.

Comment

Emiljabo

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
If all goes well, I'll only have Adobe InDesign to replace and then I'll be very close to being Adobe free (apart from very occasional use of Acrobat Pro 9).

What do you use instead of Illustrator? My only problem with switching is the Astute plug-in compatibility with any other app.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.