Seriously disappointed that there's no Air 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smooth, Sep 9, 2015.

1. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

For the first time since switching to Apple with a MacBook in 2007, I am disappointed with the releases. Yes the iPad Pro is a nice addition and the Mini 4 was what I was expecting, but I was hoping for an Air 3 to upgrade to. I may be hanging on to my iPad 3 for a while longer.

2. Arline macrumors regular

Arline

I'm a little disappointed too... I would have liked just a A9X powered iPad Air 3. I hope next year they bring all the new stuff in Pro to Air 3 (or perhaps release a 9.7-inch iPad Pro).

3. Bananas Ananas macrumors member

Bananas Ananas

iPad Pro Mini :D

4. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Why? It was being announced daily at mr site. I'm thinking they might focus more on pro version.

5. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

To be fair, the jump between iPad 3 and iPad Air 2 is astronomical to say the least, especially in the size and weight. I wouldn't expect an iPad Air 3 until next year, the Air 2 will have the multitasking and has 2 GB RAM at least.

6. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Having taken the risk on buying an iPad Air 2 last week, I'm delighted there was no iPad Air 3!

7. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Well, as mentioned in the other thread, I'm in favor of slower release cycles. I'd rather see 18-month cycles for the iPad than those 9-12 months cycles. The Air 2 is still top-notch, why not just get one now? Releasing an Air 3 when the iPad Pro comes out (which really is just a larger, more powerful iPad) would inevitably cut into the Pro sales and marginalize the differences.

8. Danilo - Italy macrumors regular

Probably Apple don't want my money. Ok, I will stay with my old but perfect iPad 4. I hate vibrations!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think they wanted to give the iPad Pro the best shot to succeed and that means not crowding the field with new products.

10. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The iPad Air 2 didn't need an update this year. Until yesterday it was the only iDevice with 2gb of ram and has the extremely good A8X. Everything else lacked behind it and needed to be brought up to its level. Which they have done. Now all flagships are strong.

11. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

As someone else mentioned they probably wanted to give the Pro some alone time in the spotlight. They barely mentioned the upgraded Mini. I would guess a spring release or at the latest WWDC release of the Air 3 with the integration of 3D Touch.

12. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Well they didn't. So either buy an air2 or keep using the ipad3.

13. newellj macrumors 601

I think that's exactly right. The best way to maximize sales is to introduce the Pro and Mini 4 together and avoid the overlap issues with the 9.7" iPad, then introduce that update separately later.

14. newellj macrumors 601

As I've said before, the Air 2 was actually a year ahead of itself in terms of where iOS was at when the Air 2 was introduced. The iPad lineup is arguably back in sync now *without* the Air 3.

15. Akack macrumors 6502a

The jump from short-lived cycle iPad 3 to the Air 2 is huge, just do it!!

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I join the disappointment as I am ready to sell my Air for the Air 3. Looks like i'll be looking for an Air 2 instead as I'm not waiting until next year.

17. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I feel really stupid for waiting a year for the iPad Air 3 to do a big upgrade (currently on iPad 3). I have wasted a year of my lifetime using old tech. I will feel worse if I buy an Air 2 today only to hear they are announcing Air 3 in November.

I have been posting in multiple iPad threads just to get some sort of a confirmation if there is an Air 3 or not coming soon.

They could have at least added a newer chip or 4 speakers like on the pro, a small upgrade, but thats what they did with ipad 4 (less than 12 month upgrade)

18. newellj macrumors 601

Everything that can be said has been said. No one here can give you any confirmation.

19. doboy macrumors 68000

I only wanted Apple to release the Air 3 so I can pick up Air 2 for cheap :)

20. ValO macrumors 65816

Ipad air 3 will come in april , i guess.
    But it won' t have the same a9x as in the ipad pro.
    My guess is that it will have a tricore a9, with 2 or 3gb.
    The a9x in the pro has a quadcore a9 with 4gb(also a quess).

Ipad air 3, apple watch 2, new imacs, macbooks in april/may.
    New iphone 7 and 7 plus, ipad pro 2, perhaps a mini 5(?), new apple tv(?) in september.

21. doboy macrumors 68000

Interesting idea that release will move back to March, but I doubt it.

22. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I'm impressed with the iPad Pro, but what they did with the other iPads was a complete mess up. No changes to the Air lineup whatsoever, and a catch-up Mini 4 which isn't even on par with the Air 2.

23. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

A8X is still fast, no iPad Air 3 doesn't bother me, if anything, it makes it easier for me to decide.

Weeks ago I planned on buying iPad Air 2 but decided to hold off on it in case Apple upgraded the lineup, they didn't.

24. dfgddikf macrumors regular

I hope they don't give the Air the Mini treatment if they indeed phase the latter out, i.e. last years processor. As there is no Air with an A9X, next years model could get it. Would also help them to stress the "Pro" character of the Pro.

25. mcorleone macrumors regular

mcorleone

Sheesh, what a bunch of whiners! I'm still on my 3rd generation iPad but the iPad Pro is the first one I am seriously considering.