Seriously is the iPhone4 battery life really that good ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, May 18, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I LOVE my EVO 4G, it is rooted with a great Sense based ROM, and I have a very good kernel for better battery life, But WTF :mad: This phone still blows chunks for battery life. Right now I am at 40%, been unplugged off the charger since 7:30 am, that is only like 6 hours, and it has been a quiet day, only made like 25 phone calls, and like 20 texts.

And I bought my Wife the new Sprint nexus-S 4G, and she lost connection the entire day yesterday, her phone was a brick for calls and texts. Major issues being reported for terrible radio and connections o the new Nexus. It is not Sprint, but the ANdorid phones.

I think I might make the switch to a jailbreaked iPhone4, maybe go Verizon. But is the iPhone4 really that good for battery life ? I need a smartphone that can last a full business day, make tons of phone calls, lots of texts, and e-mails, and still last me to dinner time.

2. jbro1999 macrumors regular

Yes.

I have to charge mine every other day. I'm on it all the time, just don't call as often as you. I should def stay charged for a day and a half for you.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I would've thought the battery adjustments would bring you to par with the iphone. :confused: All the posts from former Android users do indicate that they came back to the iphone because of battery life.
    The iphone does seem to last longer, especially if you adjust the brightness setting and only turn on wifi when you use it.
    However, there are some people who don't like Apple's sandbox, but if you're willing to JB, it might be doable for you. You'll need to research and see if you can live with the other aspects of the phone. For example, apple doesn't use widgets.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know what I'm doing wrong then. I'm luckly to get 24 hours before needing to recharge my iPhone.

The same goes with my wife's and my friends. I'm getting about the same battery performance with my iPhone 4 as I had for my Nexus One and Droid x :/

5. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

one word: yes. I go two days of moderate use EASILY.

6. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

During a good workday I can easily place 50 calls, and few dozen texts, and e-mails, plus surf web every half hour for a bit.

I always laugh when I see people say they rarely make calls on their smart phone...lol...can't imagine my phone sitting next to me never ringing or making calls.

The EVO 4G just blows if your on the phone a lot. Even a quiet Sunday with little use whatsoever, it still goes in the yellow battery life by bed time. WiFi surfing at home, you can watch the battery % go down every few minutes. Sitting in the bathroom surfing news sites at home, it will go down 10-15% easily in 20min.

7. ikaveh macrumors regular

The short answer is nope. it gets warm and hot like crazy too.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Lol you're such a peculiar duck.

It's battery life is great. I can get four days if I turn 3G off and use it sparingly (if I'm on holiday or the like).

9. seble macrumors 6502a

Only if your into 3D gaming in the desert :D

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I typically charge my iPhone 4 every other day. Phone calls, email, browser use, etc.

If playing lots of games then charge every day.

Same here.

11. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Well it depends on your work. I'm in an office with a "landline" phone most of the time, so my smart phone is mainly for e-mail when I'm away from my desk and calls when I'm out of the office, so I rarely use it for voice.

However, I do a considerable amount of web surfing, twitter, and bluetooth audio everyday. The only times I have run into battery problems is if I'm in a low coverage area (or in a crowded area such as a sports stadium) where the phone is struggling to maintain a data signal.

Charging every other day I'm not so sure of. But I can get to the end of the day on one charge easily.

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm jailbroken and can charge every other day with moderate use. For heavy use, my phone can last me from morning until night with about 20% battery life remaining. I've never once worried about running out of battery before.

13. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Like any other phone, if you use it for what it can do then you'll need to charge it every night. I dare you to try to go 2 days without charging it.

14. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It's pretty good, but it's no iPod touch! That baby lasts months on standby.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In 2 hours of usage, my iPhone went from 100% to 85%. All that I'm doing is listening to music :(

My DroidX performed better then this

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

What am I doing wrong?

Fresh install of 4.3.3, not upgraded, not jailbroken, 16GB iPhone 4. 30 minutes fetch for two email accounts (Gmail and Y!Mail). CNN App push notifications. That's it- nothing else running in background.

With ~30 minutes of light web browsing (mostly forums and blogs), ~10 calls (each around 5 minutes), and looking at several emails, my phone dies at 6PM (off charger at 8am).

My 32GB isn't any better (although to be fair that thing is jailbroken and a crapton of mods and tweaks and background apps on it).

My Motorola Atrix 4G can easily go 2 days with the kind of usage detailed above.

Judging by the posts here I should be getting years out of my battery with that kind of usage. I guess I'll have to get a new battery or something :(

17. vrflyer, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Moderate usage here. My avg is around 2days & couple hrs standby @ 10% BAT left with around 12~14hrs of daily use. :apple:

18. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

:eek: i just about get 6 hours out of a day!

19. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Having a 3GS, which has been notorious for having terrible battery life, I surprisingly get about 6 hours of straight heavy usage out of it before I have to plug it in. Moderate use I can get a full day out of it. I have an external battery with a USB plugin that I carry with me, plus at work I have a wall charger, also a charger in my car, so I never really worry about it unless I go out to the bar or something for the night.

20. ggf macrumors member

Eastercat hit the nail on the head turn off wifi and you get great battery life

21. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

If use wifi at home make sure you switch off 3G and location services, notifications.

i used to have to charge it every day or so but since i got my ipad i normally get between

5-8 hours usage and is on standby for a good 2 days alot of the time.

it all depends what you use it for though.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

BTW why are people saying turn out wifi when you aren't using it? when it is in standby mode wifi switches itself off.

23. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yes, the battery is superior to any phone in the market right now.

The next generation is sure to promise a slight increase :)