Seriously, some people on this site have a bug up their ***.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by duelingdragons, Jan 30, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

You can almost guarantee that if someone posts a topic, either the first or second response to that topic will be someone flaming the original poster for:

A) Not searching
    B) Talking about something that has been discussed before/is popular
    C) For asking what the responder deems to be a "stupid" question

It's pretty sad.

Why do people on forums (not only this one, but others as well), take time out of their day to flame/troll?

Does anyone else find this sad?

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Well, I don't think there's ever an excuse for being a jackass, but it *can* be annoying to see the same topic pop up again and again because people don't search before posting.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

what else are the trolls supposed to do all day if they couldn't post here?

ps. do a search this has been brought up before ;)

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

This doesn't happen every time, but it does happen. I don't really mind, they're doing what they think is right.
    Some people ignore it, and others don't.
    Basically, not everyone here is the happiest person on Earth.
    I know where you're coming from, this happens too me; along with everyone else. Just ignore it.

5. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, I definitely agree.

The specific example that caused me to create this topic was someone creating a topic earlier today, and someone IMMEDIATELY freaking out because the same topic was made 2 years ago...

Like... wow.

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I hate when that happens. Especially if that topic hasn't been posted on in those two years. Watch, you go and post in that two year old thread then you get flamed for thread resurrection.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Dude, do a search before you post. This topic has been done to death.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well the forum guidelines cover your point A, but people tend to ignore the guidelines, which is disappointing.

I've certainly been known to tell people if a topic has been brought up before, partly because I hate writing the same answers every time, and there's no point reproducing an entire thread. If I have time though I try to find one of those other threads and link to it for them. Also, when you create a new thread there's a button to help determine if the topic has been brought up before, but I doubt many people make use of this helpful feature.

I don't see much flaming though, at least where I hang out here, but posters should really think before they post as well. Laziness is not an excuse.

9. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

True, but it's probably better to just report the duplicate thread.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

11. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I love thread necromancy.
    :)

12. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Internet cojones, i guarantee that most people on this thread would never do or say things like that to your face.

AND, its fun :)

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

[ best Andy Rooney voice ]

And what's the deal with discussions ? I mean somebody starts a topic then 4 pages later the discussion has turned to something completely different. I just don't get this interweb stuff.

[/ best Andy Rooney voice ]

14. Redline13 macrumors 6502

Hi. You must be new here. Welcome to the internet.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree that some respond rudely to new posters, but most who recommend searching are only trying to help. Many who are new to the forums aren't aware that searching the forums can many times bring an answer to their question faster, since common subjects have been discussed at length and common questions have already been answered. Also, some may not be aware that using MRoogle to search the forums will many times reveal answers that are missed by the standard MR search. The idea is to help posters find existing answers to their current questions, and also show them tools to find answers to future questions more effectively.

"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime."

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or for as long as the fish hold out. ;)

The "rules" for posting new threads are pretty hard to miss, or misunderstand.

Funny thing is, I often take the trouble of searching myself and posting a list of links to other recent, identical discussions -- but more often than not, the repeat discussion thread goes right on as if nobody had even seen it. What's up with that?

Attached Files:

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I always though it was an ultra PITA to see people shouting because you started a new topic about something that has been discussed before, but you'd also get shouted at for bumping old threads.

That's always confused me.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess people do that for the very same reason you felt it necessary to create this thread.
    I do encourage in my own little way for people to search but I don't believe I've done it without providing an answer or two.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Seriously, some people on this site have a bug up their ***.

Typically around here.

1. It isn't a bug

2. Sometimes it isn't a donkey either.

3. You'll need a running start to have any chance of getting it to fit.

[​IMG]

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This post confuses me. Is pointing out recent threads where a subject has been discussed an example of "shouting," in your view? Also, I've never heard of anyone being "shouted at" for reviving an old thread. Granted there's no reason to be rude about it, but then there's more than one way to be rude. Shining on someone who is trying to be helpful is another way to be rude. That happens all the time, too.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As for reviving old threads, if it's to contribute more information or ask another question that's directly related, I think that's preferable to starting a new one. However, many times people will start posting in an old thread, trying to answer the OP's question without realizing the thread has been dormant for 3 years and the OP is no longer on the forums. Pointing that out isn't being rude, it's just saying, "Hey, you DO realize the OP's no longer listening, right?"

As for searching before creating new threads, not only is it a forum rule, but it makes finding answers much easier. After all, if you're looking for an answer to a question, would you rather look in one thread on that topic, or have to search through dozens of duplicate threads on the same subject?

For example, it would make life easier, especially for "newbies", if there was a sticky thread entitled "Do I have a virus on my Mac?" that all related posts were automatically directed to. I realize that won't happen, but any step in that direction would help prevent two dozen "Mac virus" threads from popping up every day.

22. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

You just got PWNED!!!!!! :D

It can be annoying though. However, you can usually tell when it's a newbie asking for help because they honestly have no idea and are new to MR as opposed to someone spamming up the forums.

PS I try to be helpful toward the former.

23. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

HA wanna bet?

I'm the person that yells at old ladies to get out of my way. Ask my wife. I just don't give a shet. :eek:

24. Queso macrumors G4

Damn you! I was going to do that joke :D