Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cudadown

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
I've never understood this "Dude, try searching next time" craze. Seriously, why do I give a crap if they post something that was dicussed earlier. I'm not forced to read it OR even forced to reply to a repeat thread in a forum. And to be perfectly honest, I would rather have topics recycled then to read the interweb police notifications constantly. But like everything else, its a trend.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I've never understood this "Dude, try searching next time" craze. Seriously, why do I give a crap if they post something that was dicussed earlier. I'm not forced to read it OR even forced to reply to a repeat thread in a forum. And to be perfectly honest, I would rather have topics recycled then to read the interweb police notifications constantly. But like everything else, its a trend.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

It's one thing if the thread is like two years old...
But we get pissed off when you post a thread on a topic where there are multiple threads on it within the past few weeks.
Reminds me of the massive threads on the "iPhone nano," glad those are mostly gone.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

It's not a "trend" -- it's the rules of the forum. You be better off asking yourself why some people simply can't be bothered to follow them.

Also, 80% of statistics are made up on the spot. ;)

I think it's closer to 87%, with a standard deviation of 3%, seasonally adjusted.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's not a "trend" -- it's the rules of the forum. You be better off asking yourself why some people simply can't be bothered to follow them.
Amen! If someone doesn't like or won't play by the rules of this forum, they're always welcome to find a different forum. Don't let the door hit you on your butt on your way out!
I think it's closer to 87%, with a standard deviation of 3%, seasonally adjusted.
Which season is best? :D

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
You can almost guarantee that if someone posts a topic, either the first or second response to that topic will be someone flaming the original poster for:

A) Not searching
B) Talking about something that has been discussed before/is popular
C) For asking what the responder deems to be a "stupid" question

It's pretty sad.

Why do people on forums (not only this one, but others as well), take time out of their day to flame/troll?

Does anyone else find this sad?

Go to the App Store forum and see why it can become meddlesome. On the first page of threads alone I count 7 threads where the iMafia app is discussed, almost every thread being a code exchange. One is more than sufficient, the Console Games Forum has managed to keep itself mostly to one code thread per game, it's not that hard.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
To be honest, I hate people who don't search. Usually if I see the title is newbie I'll let it go and let them know there is a search function, but when I see Regular and up it just pisses me off. Undoubtedly they know there is a search function, they're just too damn lazy to use it. For example, a while back, I was browsing around MR one day, and saw a thread about a very repetitive topic. I answered it even though I know there was one around not too long ago. Next day I come, ANOTHER thread asking the exact same question came up. I'm like... alright, I'll just type in the same answer again. Next day, ANOTHER thread came up, about the exact same freaking thing! The other thread that I just answered to was even on the same page of that forum. If you don't want to search, can you not scroll either? I timed myself, and in less in 5 minutes, I found like 4 similar threads, all made in the last month. Hell, 2 was made in the same week! It will not take you more time to find those threads than making a new thread. And some say, what's wrong with repetitive thread? That's like saying what's wrong with spam and commercial advertising? You don't have to read let alone respond to it. It takes up space, and prevent people who actually need help from getting help. It's a waste of resources and plain annoying. Of course everyone have their grumpy days, but most people don't complain if you post a topic that was only discussed 2 years ago. However, that is not the case for the most part. Most of the complaining come out of threads that have been repeated multiple times in the same month, sometimes in the same week. They're completely pointless and a waste of space.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
To be honest, I hate people who don't search.
Almost amen to that. I don't hate them, I just find them to be tedious.

I found MacRumors because each time I ran into a problem setting up my computer this is usually where I found the answer.

Finally, I've seen very few cases where the responder actually flames the OP. Usually it's a simple reminder and link, which is helpful.

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
There are many people with a bug up their #@£% in all walks of life, I just think it so happens that alot of them come together on this forum :( This is a thread I found particularly offensive the other day....

Stern just talked about new iPhone....

Said it has the ability to be a full on gaming console. Said to release this summer. Oh well, I just bought a 3G. :mad:

Howard Stern?!
You really think he knows what the next iPhone is going to have?!

Just telling you what I heard. What are you hassling me for.

Because by the way you said it makes it sound like you believe him.

so it continued with a slew of people being a bit offensive towards the guy for nothing....

I do like coming here to read all things new and news on Apple developments but do find it testing at times

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
There are many people with a bug up their #@£% in all walks of life, I just think it so happens that alot of them come together on this forum :( This is a thread I found particularly offensive the other day....

Stern just talked about new iPhone....

so it continued with a slew of people being a bit offensive towards the guy for nothing....

I do like coming here to read all things new and news on Apple developments but do find it testing at times

Hahahaha! You think I was being a offensive?!
Even in the part you posted, I mentioned why I thought his post was ridiculous.
If I were him I would not have even believed Stern for even a second, but the way he worded it and made the sentence made me believe that he was dead serious and believe every word Stern said.

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
Hahahaha. Yes

The quotes I have taken are not in the right context without the rest of the thread but they were offensive in the context of it and incited others to wade in with helpless unneccesary comments. That is how the pattern goes round these parts, it only takes one guy to reply with a slightly off reply and everyone else comes in thinking it's open season.

More on topic, do mods exist in these forums?!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Hahahaha. Yes

The quotes I have taken are not in the right context without the rest of the thread but they were offensive in the context of it and incited others to wade in with helpless unneccesary comments. That is how the pattern goes round these parts, it only takes one guy to reply with a slightly off reply and everyone else comes in thinking it's open season.

Sorry, but even if I didn't post in that thread he would still have gotten flamed.

Several mods exist actually.
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us#Who_are_the_MacRumors_Staff.3F

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

At present, all the moderators serve all forums on MacRumors. The best way to contact us is always to use the report post button
report.gif
, which is located underneath the username/avatar on every post on MacRumors. The benefit of using this approach is that it instantly puts out an alert that is visible to all moderators and administrators.

There is only so much we can do in terms of encouraging people to be pleasant. On the balance side, doing things like searching before you post, using informative thread titles, taking the time to write in a comprehensible fashion, and trying not to actively push other people's buttons do really also make MacRumors Forums a better place, and so we very much appreciate all of these things from everyone. ;)

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Mods exist and imo there are one of the best 'assortment' of Mods in this forum!
They all are pretty cool and wont bump in unless its serious or you want them too.....

But I do believe that some of us sometimes forget that Mods too are humans like us!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.