Seriously, the band is obviously the money cow here

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iFanaddic, Feb 20, 2015.

1. iFanaddic, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Everyone is speculating as to how much the Apple Watch Edition will sell for but nobody seems to be thinking about the bands. Apple can't sell the watch for that much because it will be outdated in no time.

I think we'll have:

-Cheap bands (for people who want to own many so they can to change them according to their outfits)
    -Medium range bands (for people who just want one nice band for everyday uses)
    -Premium bands (for people who want to show off their expensive tastes.)

Then Apple can update the computerized part of the watch as often as they want and people will just hook them on their existing bands. Of course there would still be a difference between the Watch's themselves but anything above 5K has to be the band, you know, the piece you'll be able to use for years to come.

Im not an analyst or anything like that..

2. DC Wallaby macrumors regular

This is actually a great point.

I mean, I fully expect the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition to be more expensive than a lot of people are hoping for. But there is big money to be made in the accessories market, where Apple can charge a huge markup.

The thing I fully expect to happen is for Apple to make a big push to visually distinguish successive generations of Apple Watch, and the bands are the easiest and most profitable way to do that. Make it obvious that the watch bands are only going to be on the market for a set period of time (or introduce "limited runs" of new styles and configurations) and suddenly you give people the need to collect as many watch bands as possible.

Apple has a huge opportunity with these bands, and I think the market for third-party straps is going to make the iPhone case market look like a joke within a few years. I can totally see people having an entire collection of straps for their Apple Watch to match their mood, the day of the week, where they are going that day, or what they are wearing.

This truly is Apple's most personal and most customizable product ever. They need to be prepared to capitalize on that.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

On the other hand.

The more expensive Apple price their small selection of bands, the more of the market they will open up to 3rd parties.

There are way too many people going crazy right now on pricing fantasy.

Apple is a MASS MARKET company selling in the tens or hundreds of millions of items.

They only ever price their items a little more than the competition, so you pay a bit more for the better looking product.

Apple price WAY MORE then the mass market when they live by, buys from elsewhere.

Why are so many forgetting this?

4. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

The only good thing is with Gruber's crazy pricing talk (somewhat based on Apple surprising us with a gold link bracelet at launch) whatever Apple announces won't be a shock. :)

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Speaking of money cows, does anyone really think the Milanese loop will be cheaper than the modern buckle and leather loop bands, as John Gruber is predicting?

6. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

No. I can't see any of the leather bands being more expensive than the SS ones.

7. DC Wallaby macrumors regular

Yeah, I think Gruber didn't think that entirely through. I imagine the Milanese Loop will be on the same price as the link bands (although I hope it'll be cheaper). And without knowing anything about how the leather vs. metal thing goes, I think you're right that the modern buckle and leather loop bands will in no way be more expensive than any of the entirely metal bands.

Gruber's a smart guy with a lot of good insights and connections, but I think he wrote that out before he'd finished processing it.

8. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I could see that happening. I will be the first to admit that I have very limited knowledge when it comes to manufacturing and raw material costs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Milanese band be cheaper than many are expecting. (just a gut feeling basically)

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

While there are indeed cheap versions of the Milanese loop out there, Apple makes a big deal of creating their own alloy (rather than use off-the-shelf materials) for the Milanese loop and weaving them on specialized Italian machines. This leads many of us to think it'll be expensive, especially relative to all too common leather.

"Based on a design developed in Milan at the end of the 19th century, the flexible metal mesh of the Milanese Loop wraps fluidly around your wrist for a perfect fit. Achieving the desired look required magnetic stainless steel. But off-the-shelf materials didn’t offer the necessary purity or corrosion resistance. So we created our own alloy and use a new thermal treatment that makes it more durable. The mesh is woven on specialized Italian machines, and every end piece is individually laser-welded to ensure smooth edges."

10. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Not sure how. You buy them once and you keep them for almost forever, while the Apple Watch itself may see year to year new versions.

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Does make one wonder then if Apple will sell the watch without bands. It seems they put a lot of effort into these bands so I have a hard time believing the watch will dramatically change in a year or two. Unless they're anle to change it and still have the bsnds be compatible.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's quite possible, that they will not sell a body on it's own for the 1st gen/year.

But come next year, and the new model, they can then make "Great Play" about the fact, you will then have the option of buying the body only to fit your current straps you already bought.

I'd suggest that would be a realistic option for them to try.

13. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Apple could also sell the watch bands in 3 packs for something like $79 instead of like $29 each. 3 different colors of the same type of band.

This is similar to what Disney infinity does. Some characters aren't sold as singles at first, but you must buy them in packs with other characters for the first 3 months or so.

Or even exclusive bands sold only at certain retailers.

I can imagine the complaining when that happens!

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Considering how much effort Apple seems to have put into the straps and mechanisms I almost convinced there will be some upgrade path either being able to upgrade the chip/battery or being able to trade-in your watch face for a new one. There is no way Apple will make those custom bands obsolete within a year or two.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's going to be interesting.

Let's use the iPad and iPhone as examples.

To save say $100 would you take your current iPhone or iPad into Apple and have it upgraded?

(Let's assume it could be)

So you come out, with the same cased/looking item, but it runs faster and does a bit more.

Or, would you rather spend that extra $100 and come out with a completely new product, in the new size, all sparkly / shiny shiny.

I'm still not THAT convinced that most Apple fans, don't want something brand new, but will be happy with just an upgrade.

It has to be a BIG saving.

16. leenak macrumors 68020

I want 'cheap bands' so I can exercise with them, there aren't actually enough colors for me but I think white, pink and green will cover enough. I may buy a milanese loop but maybe not. I don't wear leather so no leather bands for me and the link bracelet is ugly to me.

17. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

OK, it depends. If my iPhone or iPad was full of scuffs, scratches and marks then I would definitely go for a new one. If not, then I don't mind upgrading the internals. It happens with S versions of iPhone every other year, you get under the hood upgrades and same design, and of course you pay the full price. Being same design does not stop people from buying it.

Id like to believe that Apple Watch will be upgradable using same design but I find it very hard to believe that on such a fast advancing technology we are going through, they are going to stay with same design for more then a year or tow.

----------

I guess you will have a variety of third party bands for it, on all sorts of colours. And they will be lot cheaper then the Apple ones, if that is what you are after.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering there will be 3rd party bands, I don't see Apple as selling an inexpensive watch and trying to make money off of the bands when there isn't a guarantee that people will buy Apple's versus a third party band.

19. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How much have the iPhone and iPad changed since they first released? iPhone is still basically a candy bar with screen, just thinner and lighter. Biggest change to iPad form again is thinner and lighter.

20. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Personally, just by looking at it, I wouldn't call it a small change (without mentioning other changes). More advanced technology in a smaller/lighter form. Exactly this could happen to the Apple Watch and sooner then some may think (assuming this product is going to be successful)

Attached Files:

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

But line them up face up and they look essentially unchanged, especially black iPhones with the screen off.

22. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

That's because most of what you see will be simply a black screen that I wouldn't except it to be different anyway.

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Question is (and I think most of us know the answer!)

Do you want to take your 1 or 2 year old Apple Watch in, and get it upgraded, so you get your old watch back, but now it's faster, and perhaps has another couple of sensors.

Or, do you want, and be seen to have the very latest Apple watch, in it's new slimmer? or redesigned case ?

I think it's pretty obvious what the majority would want here :)

24. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Both. I want to be able to upgrade my current watch and get a new design if I like it.

25. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Sounds like the bands are separate Which makes sense and gives each watch more different choices
    Think about it ... Your not going to update your AppleWatch every year but the band should' be do able