Seriously thinking about becoming a Mac owner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sircrazyj, Mar 25, 2010.

1. sircrazyj macrumors newbie

I use to own an ibook way back in the days of OS 9. Since I purchased a laptop with Vista loaded on it I have been thinking about coming back to Apple. The only think I would be doing with my machine would be surfing the web, some light Photoshop work, and listening to music. I also at times would have to run windows to use remote desktop. Portability is not a big issue as this would be a home machine and I don't really tote my current laptop around much. Basically I want to get the best experience without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. sircrazyj thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know why I didn't think to research an alternative. Thank you for the information. This will save me some trouble.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

If you can do without portability, you have two low-budget options: the Mac mini and the 21.5" iMac. Either will do every task you've mentioned quite well.

If budget is your primary consideration, and you already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor from a previous computer, the Mini is the least expensive entry into the Mac world.

On the other hand, if form and function allow you to up your budget a bit, the iMac is a no-brainer, and will allow you to do advanced Photoshop functions more quickly.

EDIT: I recommend you check out the Refurb section of Apple's online store; it has some nice deals, and they're backed by the same warranty as new Macs.

5. maclook macrumors 65816

Macbook. (+ a magic mouse for photoshop)
    It's not just about carrying your laptop around, but when you want to use it while sitting on the couch and watching tv it's great to be able to. My first laptop/mac was a macbook and it became a very personal gadget to me. I'm 100% sure you won't regret it.

6. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Refurb macbook(cheapest $749, I believe).
    Like other poster said, it's not about the portability to other locals, but about portability in your own abode.

Like when you want to do some late night surfing in bed....hard to do w/a desktop :D

7. wttheninja macrumors member

Well what ever computer that you get make sure, you get the Apple care for it. At first it may seem expensive, but in the long run it will pay for itself.

For example, I have a MacBook Pro 13" I got it last summer for college. Already I have had my hard drive fail, and it was covered by apple care. I forget the exact price of the hard drive repair, but it was around $400. Then sadly, a few weeks later, my computer stopped working again. Lucky it was just the harddrive cable was faulty. The cable itself was I think $50-$75. So all together around $475 in repairs. The apple care was $289. So in the long run it is a very very good investment.

8. sircrazyj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input. I completely took the ability to move around my house with my laptop for granted. I am really looking at the refurb Macbook for 849.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Consider the iMac and then maybe an iPad down the line. The power and storage a desktop offers, as well as screen real estate is worth it over a laptop. I truly think unless you are a student or creative professional or road warrior, a laptop should only be a secondary computer.

10. maclook macrumors 65816

I completely disagree. Although I do plan on buying an iMac (as a secondary computer to my notebook), desktops are becoming obsolete due to the power and storage that notebooks now offer.

11. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I would go with the MacBook, the portability factor and the fact that you don't seem to need much from the machine suits you well.

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

Have you considered Windows 7? This is the probably the most inexpensive and fastest option. You also wouldn't have to buy the mac version of photoshop.

13. craiger902 macrumors member

Considering this all happened since last summer, wouldn't everything have been fixed under the standard one year warranty that you get when you purchase an apple computer? Thereby you could have saved the $289 in applecare and still had your mbp fixed.

14. belvdr macrumors 603

Geez, I could replace it myself for less than $80 or upgrade to an SSD for that price.

15. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

If your used to windows, id buy a decent windows 7 laptop and stick to it. You wont have to bother with rebuying photoshop and other expensive programs then.

16. birdpixel macrumors newbie

No need to rebuy PS; you can call Adobe and they are pretty good about allowing you to re-install on a Mac.

17. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

There's no reason to use Photoshop on Windows. It's much better on OS X. Ignore anybody who says the opposite.

18. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Hate to derail, but... (honest question) let's say your original hard drive fails, and for whatever reason, you decide to swap in a new hard drive instead of letting apple fix it. Then let's say something else on the machine fails. Do you:

A) Put the old hard drive back in, and deliver to a Genius explaining your story with two broken components?, or
    B) Keep the working hard drive in, deliver it to a Genius, and hope the HD doesn't disappear while they fix whatever is wrong? (I have heard of people on this forum losing aftermarket hard drives they've installed when sending the machine in for a non hard drive related repair)

19. belvdr macrumors 603

I'd choose 1. I wouldn't ask them to replace the hard drive if it's out of warranty. They can throw in any temporary hard drive to fix the other issue.

20. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

SO why didn't you help the guy? :rolleyes:

Not everyone's comfortable doing it or wants to get outside people to do it. Obviously if they had done their research they could've got it done for less or even free(friend). But since they got AC, they didn't even need to think about it, for some people that peace of mind is worth it.

21. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Really? id never heard of that before. Thats a handy bit of information, thanks!

22. belvdr macrumors 603

Because they didn't ask.

I was simply pointing out that Apple's price of $400 is steep from any angle you look at it.

23. maclook macrumors 65816

That's the truth. CS4 is smooth as butter on my mac but when I use my school's PCs I get frustrated and it has crashed on me several times even though their PCs technically have better specs than my mac.

I was covered by AppleCare when my hard drive failed but I still got a bill that showed how much I would have had to pay and it was nowhere near $400. Not calling you a liar, but I think it was only in the $200 range for a 120gb HD. It's still expensive if you can do it yourself but a tad more reasonable for anyone who doesn't know how to do it themself

24. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Well, most major repairers will charge a lot, HP quoted me around $329 for replacing outside casing(drop it and it had a few dents).
    The point is though, no one pays that...at least not smart people(or maybe just bizness that don't care..ie the write it off come tax time)..they get AC, which is what this person got...so your point is moot:D