Seriously, where are the lightning adapters?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DiddlyDo, Oct 5, 2012.

1. DiddlyDo macrumors member

This is my first post, so bring on the onslaught of troll comments, but where is my freaking lightning adapter? This is ridiculous!

I was a slow convert to apple products, but I now have apple fully integrated into my house, office, and vehicles, including a MAC, ipad, iphone, appleTV, and numerous iphone/ipad accessories that allow me to dock my apple products.

Apple's change to the lightning dock isn't surprising, and hopefully it works well, but who knows. Paying $29 for an adapter is annoying, but I knew the deal before I upgraded to the iphone 5. However, the lack of available lightning adapters or information explaining the delay or even providing a real time frame for receiving an adapter is unbelievably annoying.

I know, I know. I can buy a bluetooth adapter or use the headphone jack to connect my iphone to most products. So what. In my office, I use a speaker dock to charge my phone, play music, and to display my phone is a manner that allows me to see my messages and notifications. May not seem like a big deal, but it increases my productivity. Now, I have the iphone plugged into my computer to charge and connected to the speakers with a male to male 3.5mm cable. It's a mess and it's pretty much useless when trying to view my messages. I even bought a bulky case with a stand, but the best I can do is look at the phone in landscape mode, which as we know is pretty useless, because the orientation of the messages and notifications does not adjust to a landscape orientation.

I'm used to Apple's control of their products, and I can live with that fact of life. I still don't understand why it would be problematic to allow me to adjust the color of my screen without jailbreaking phone (the display of my new iphone 5 is a bit too warm), but I've found that most things the iphone is designed to do, it does well. However, Apple used the lightning adapter to assure customers that the iphone accessories they've purchased over the years would not be rendered junk when they got the new iphone 5. Cut to a few weeks later, and there are no lightning adapters. And instead of an explanation, all we get are news stories trickling out that say apple will exert even more control over the manufacture of new iphone 5 accessories that utilize the lightning dock. Of course, that means more delays.

I'm sure many will say I'm just picky and whiny. But how many apple users have spent hundreds of dollars integrating these products into their homes, offices, cars, etc. At a minimum, Apple could provide a freaking dock that would charge the phone and allow it to stand up, so the user can view notifications without picking up the phone. Of course, apple has stated that it won't produce a dock because most users have docking stations, and the dock alone isn't really desired. That's pretty funny when you consider that those users cannot get an adapter that (hopefully) will allow them to use those products.

Do better apple. And how about an update/apology for this problem. Rant over.

2. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

3. DiddlyDo thread starter macrumors member

What sort of response is this? You're reading this forum. Why is it that apple customers who are not satisfied are just spoiled rich people with unreasonable expectations. Apple has a reputation for providing great customer service. They use that reputation to gain customers. Then when the company falls short, its defenders respond that unhappy customers are just privileged whiners.

Would you defend other companies with the same reasoning? Offer something useful or don't bother. If you have a reasonable defense of the company, provide it. But your post is no response.

4. bbydon macrumors 6502a

It is 5 days into October, the month they said it would deliver. Be patient.

5. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

You're a forum with thousands of users and your complaining about a minuscule problem. Sadly, no one will really care and nothing will come out of Apple about this. So, it simply comes off as wasted time.

6. DiddlyDo thread starter macrumors member

Sounds to me like your logic can be applied to most posts on this forum. If that's the case, why does anyone post anything here?

7. petethepanda macrumors member

Not having this adapter available at launch is just as absurd as not having the RMBP ethernet adapter ready for launch.

I don't know what the **** is going on with Apple lately.

8. bbydon macrumors 6502a

Delaying the iPhone a month or more for adapters, that most people won't buy doesn't make much sense either.
    I'm sure most people would prefer to get their iPhone now.

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wow, I'm shocked at the immature and arrogant posts in response to this thread.

OP, I agree with you. This was a huge mistake on Apple's behalf, and to me, way bigger than maps or the "scuffing" of iPhone 5.

I'm beginning to get afraid we won't see them soon ..

10. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

Most people don't complain; they share an interest and talk about it. I'm sorry your thread is useless, though.

11. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Apple already said they wouldn't start shipping until October. If it's such a big deal, you should have waited before you upgraded to the iPhone 5.

It's only been two weeks since the launch, you really need to relax.

12. DiddlyDo thread starter macrumors member

OK. Now I understand. I forgot Rule # 1 - You don't talk about Apple's shortcomings.

Quite honestly, the primary reason I posted my frustration was due to the lack of discussion of the issue. I was curious to know whether 1) others felt the same way and 2) anybody had any additional information.

It amazes me how quickly people either rise to defend Apple's mistakes or simply attack people who point out such mistakes.

And there is no need to pity me for posting a "useless" thread. Being able to vent my frustrations made me feel better. And I hope, it will provide others with the opportunity to commiserate. While this will do little to speed my receipt of the lighting adapter I ordered, it's about as much as I can hope for given Apple's refusal to openly communicate with its customers when screws up or, which is more likely, when it screws over its customers.

I have no problem with Apple making a profit. I can choose to buy or not buy an adapter (in theory any way), but listing "October" as a shipping date with no updates is useless. Apple might as well say "as soon as we can" and leave it at that. We put up with a lot of "quirks" from Apple. For example, if you have a mac that hasn't been updated to Snow Leopard, then you can't even sync your iphone to your mac. Nevermind that the process works just fine on a PC running XP. And we dutifully pay to upgrade our systems because Apple deems it should be that way. Again, we choose to buy the products knowing this stuff (although it could be argued that my last example caught many people by surprise). But Apple used the lightning adapter as a selling point, failed to provide/produce nearly enough adapters, and then went into radio silence regarding the matter. It's irritating. And it doesn't square with Apple's reputation for excellent customer service

13. vega07 macrumors 65816

Everything on this website is a first world problem. If you want to read about third-world problems, find someplace else to post. :rolleyes:

14. DiddlyDo thread starter macrumors member

I don't know about you, but I pre-ordered my phone around 2:30 am central time on September 14th. I don't recall October being listed as the estimated shipping date for the adapter. In fact, quite a few people thought they were getting an adapter with their phone. I understand Apple correcting that error, but it's not like Apple provided clear information regarding the availability/timing of lightning adapter deliveries.

15. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

I'm not holding out on getting mine before the end of the month, there must be so many on back order that even if hey do start shipping soon you will have to be very lucky IMO.

It is pretty annoying, lots of things about the iphone 5 launch have been frustrating IMO.

I have ordered a Bluetooth adapter in the meantime.

16. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

Umm...what's not real about October? They've provided a real time frame for availability. When that time frame expires...then you can start your bitchin'. Until then...quit being such a wuss.

17. orange42 macrumors 6502a

It's really amazing how ignorant some people are on this forum. I see you're learning fast that you simply can't question Apple or say anything close to negative about them without all these little tools coming to their rescue with ********* excuses for them. God forbid you actually want the product you ordered that is pretty much a necessity for the new phone, right?

18. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

I'm not sure if your post is directed at me (and/or others that posted similarly)? My post was not to defend Apple. I was just pointing out that a specific part of the OP's post was incorrect. I too would love to have the adapter now, but until Apple is late on their promise of availabilty...I'm not going to publicly moan about it. This is an adapter we are talking about here. Life goes on without the adapter....

19. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

The adapters were available to order as soon as the store went back live after the introductory speech. I ordered two adapters the evening of the 12th and they always said "October" for availability.

20. DiddlyDo thread starter macrumors member

Actually, there is nothing incorrect about my post. I do not view October a "real" time frame. It provides little to no useful information. And while it is true that life goes on without the adapter, I doubt seriously that is always your standard for determining when it is appropriate to complain. Until you're dead, your life goes on in spite of anything and everything that occurs. If that is your standard, then we must assume you never complain about anything or, if we're being really generous, you only complain when something causes some life somewhere to stop. But hey, I guess I shouldn't expect much nuance from someone who calls a guy a "wuss" while safely hiding behind the internet. At a minimum, that sort of comment is very ironic.

21. grapejoos macrumors member

I agree completely. This is a valid complaint. I too am waiting on these adapters to use my devices, and the need for them is greatly exacerbated by the fact that I can't even buy a second cable to charge my device (completely sold out in NYC as best I can tell and 1-2 week availability online) AND the one that came with my phone is defective/requires the rubber band fix (and, surprise, since the Apple store near me is completely out of cables, they can't help me). I deactivated my old phone and changed carriers to use this one and just keeping it operational is extremely difficult.

Is it an early adopter problem? Sure. But Apple has dropped the ball here -- they can't supply sufficient quantities of cables (possibly related to the seemingly widespread QC problems with the ones included with phones), they seemingly can't even get their own first-party adapters to work (indirectly evidenced by the lack of even an estimated shipping date), and they've shut down the secondary market (which is apparently having the same problems) -- and people have a right to voice their aggravation. Anyone shouting that down needs to have their head and priorities in life examined.

22. Josh220 macrumors regular

Most stores have plenty in stock. I picked one up the other night; they had an entire chunk of the cable/adapter section loaded with lighting cables and adapters. Additionally, people are finding that when they place their order, it ships immediately despite the "estimate" on the website.

23. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No, those aren't adapters! :mad:

24. pradeepgj macrumors member

Dude.. this thread is about the lightning to 30 pin adapter. Not about the lightning to usb cable.

25. robotphood macrumors 6502a

+1

Much bigger of an issue yet little to no buzz. Maps seemed expected if you followed the betas and early reports. The scuffing issue is a bit silly. I'm fine with paying $30 to use my iphone in my car (docking, charging, music) yet I'm still waiting for this crucial function (at least for me - long commute). Very un-Apple like