Seriously, why no MMS?...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slick316, Jun 10, 2008.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

I think Apple is having a little fun at our expense. This great phone, all these great features, something that other companies will be mimicking for years to come. GPS, 3G, Wifi, push services, 8-16GB storage, high quality touchscreen, NO MMS!!!

Is it just me, or do you want to throw the phone across the room when you get that text telling you that "You have received a multimedia message. Your phone, which has everything except the kitchen sink, cannot accept a picture via messaging. Instead, go to viewmymessage.com and hope that it lets you log in using ot7shf3jdj4jgdd56fdjd as the login and head3long as the password."

I like my iphone, I really do. I am debating on whether to get the 3G version when it releases, or wait a while and then get it. MMS is not a deal breaker for me, but come on, most of us have to be scratching our heads about the lack of this feature. I just can't think of a reason they didn't include MMS.

2. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

The reason is because everytime an MMS is sent, God kills a kitten.

(Seriously though... it is because Steve Jobs feels MMS is an antiquated and dying service. I will not go crazy looking for links, but I know he publicly stated this after the first iPhone release)

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would agree with you there. Someone sent me a photo on my RAZR a year or so ago. They took a picture on their phone and sent it to me. I knew AT&T would charge me for the data it took to send, so I was like "what the crap are you doing? Just show me the damn thing another time!" I really have the patience to not need to see pictures instantly, and EVERYBODY has e-mail. Maybe not on a phone, but they got e-mail, and sending a photo via e-mail doesn't cost anybody extra. Plus I don't want any kittens dying.

4. albinoAZN macrumors regular

I was going to say that.

No MMS because you can just email the pictures.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I have had an iPhone since launch.
    In that time, I have received exactly ONE MMS message that I couldn't view because the iPhone doesn't support it. One.

And I'm 21, so you can't play the "younger generations need MMS" card.

6. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Wow, this topic has been discussed to death.

Nobody cares, now move along.

7. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

How dare you not care about the kittens!

Sorry, it's late...

8. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

So at least I know whoever killed my kitten was not an iPhone owner.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would like to see such quotes. I would love to have MMS, because a lot of the time mail cant connect to the server for email, and thus you can not send photos with out MMS.

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I don't get it, why would he think MMS was antiquated but not standard SMS messaging? I would think that'd be WAY MORE antiquated...

11. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

I am looking, but I can't find squat. The fact that I don't know where he said it isn't helping. I don't know if it was in an interview, I don't know if it was a second hand reporting of a conversation, I just remember reading it last summer sometime...

Being I can't find what I thought would be easy to find, I will retract my statement about him quoting it until I find it. If I don't find it, I will say now that I may have been wrong and I am sorry. I don't like being wrong though, so I will do my best to dig it up.

The kitten thing is all that is left...

12. mattrobs macrumors member

^ Because email is superior (and free). This is just like the first iMac only having USB. It popularised USB to what it is today. And Steve's using the iPhone's influence to finally kill off MMS.

13. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

...but isn't email superior to SMS text messaging as well? Far more superior, in fact, than to MMS? Yet the iPhone does SMS... This is like an iMac shipping without a floppy drive...but with a tape drive!

14. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Email may be free but to access it via your iPhone certainly is not and here in Australia the extra cost to access email/internet via your mobile phone is phenomenal and so MMS (which is far less expensive) is the preferred method for instant image sending via your mobile. Until the phone companies come to the party to dramatically reduce the cost to access the net via your mobile I believe MMS is going to be around for a while.

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

There's also the fact that a huge portion of the cell phone market uses SMS. I'm sure Apple has the stats. They're probably alienating a vocal 1% of the market. Half of which will buy it anyway and just b*tch about it.

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

is mms software if so can't someone make an application for it

17. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It is software, but developers don't really have access to the cellular protocol to make it possible.

18. trogdor! macrumors regular

MMS is actualy something i would love to see go away. It is just one more retarded extra charge on my phone bill. I hope the iphone's influence kills it, just like SMS needs to die to. Everything should be done through the data plan.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

umm yes you can. Kick it back a few more years and it is still widely used.

Personally I think Jobs has a stick up his ass. He knows he screwed up and is to proud to admit it.

MSS is still widely used and I seeing it kick off more and more and yet the iPhone what is supposed to be one of the most advace phones lacks this basic feature...

Email has other huge problems. It goes big time for people who do not have unlimited media. It takes more time and limited amount of data to get the email. Top that off it would pull all the email ones gotten. Not just the MMS they wanted.

I think the argument people keep using is pretty weak at best. I love the though because apple says so it is the best thing... I think some people need to put down the glass of Kool Aid.

I am 25 and I think in the pass few months I have recieved 5 or 6 MMS to my phone which Sony phone I bought after college. Mind you I have sent only 2 in the pass year and that was because i needed a quite opinion about something from my younger sister (and all but one of thsoe messages I recieved happen to be from my younger sister who still in HS. The other was a drunk MMS from my brother. I know for a fact my sister used MMS quite a bit and it bother her for the short time span she could not use it.

Heck I have even seen my mom start using them....

20. Ag-Ryan macrumors newbie

im 19 and ill receive a couple mms a month, sometimes more.

mms is EXTREMELY important to me

21. sjw macrumors regular

I've used MMS maybe twice in my life so overall I don't feel a need for it in the iPhone. Of course, it would be nice, and I understand the frustration that Apple can't include such a seemingly simple thing (I really do!). It's just another issue to add to the list along with the underpowered camera/lack of flash but that's for another thread :p

22. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

No MMS was one of the best features of the iPhone and I'm glad they kept it. Email is much more practical. :)

Edit: I appreciate the frustration when someone *sends* you an MMS and you can't receive it, kinda like when everyone was still using floppy disks and all I had was a cd burner... :( ;)

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The lack of MMS and the crippled Bluetooth stack are totally lame and pretty inexcusable in a device like the iPhone. We saw the social networking software demoed in the Keynote, but they seem to have completely ignored two things that people actually use their phones for in a "social" capacity: MMS and bluetooth sending of files to friends. Also, as a business phone, the lack of being able to send contacts via SMS or bluetooth is pretty bad (a common thing in meetings is exchanging contact details via bluetooth or SMS)

It's even more frustrating because, IMO, the iPhone is the best phone I've ever used, but it would be so much better with these additional features, all of which could be done in software...

24. Fotek2001 macrumors regular

There is another big problem with e-mail and that is spam. I can't use my e-mail account with my iPhone because of the volume of spam I receive on it. This is also no help when everyone I know (even my mum) sends me MMS messages which I can't view without going to a website to view them...

25. phannon666 macrumors regular

I'm amazed at how many people complain about this, seriously, you people use MMS? Never used it, no-one I know has, just seems superfluous to me as well as expensive, I think O2 charges something like 4 SMS off your contract.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be an app, so don't fret people :D