Server Hardware

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ee99ee, Jun 11, 2007.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

What kind of hardware do you guys run to keep this forum up? 6000+ users is massive...

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I think I remember it being stated there were four servers that MR used. I suppose Q or arn or Knox will be along shortly to give you an exact number.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We can support up to 2000-3000 or so users with one PHP box (Dual Xeon 2.6Ghz 2GB RAM) and one MySQL server (Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, SCSI RAID)... but it gets spotty in that range. The PHP server starts getting very slow.

At MWSF we cloned the PHP server across many instances of Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud, and then we found that the MySQL server dies at 5000-ish users.

This time, we added a server for Memcached, PHP (+ EC2 clones), and single MySQL server and hit the 6000 users.

There were some errors though due to some PHP instances not working out right for some reason. we'll try to sort it out for next time.

arn

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Why don't you use Xserves?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Would there ever be any opportunity for members to offer their hardware in the form of P2P-style hosting?

6. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I guess we can just be glad the you guys are staying on top of understanding how to keep the servers running under all this traffic. I never really considered the volume of users posting here. I knew about traffic issues on Keynote days but even keeping up the boards is probably pretty intense!

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I am assuming because they are so expensive. It is cheaper to build a cheap box with those specs then to buy an Xserve. Plus you can download Linux and throw it on there to perform the same task as an Xserve would do.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How many hosting companies do you know that use XServes, and what do they cost compared to LAMP boxes?

9. pengu macrumors 6502a

who cares. i want to know what in the name of Joe Pesci (why pray to God when you can pray to Joe Pesci?) that avatar you have is!?

10. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

XTech uses Xserves and the Xserves are not that expensive. In the US Refurbished Store there is a refurbished Xserve for $2299.