Server - Mac Mini Server or base iMac

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jackhdev, Jul 16, 2011.

1. jackhdev, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

jackhdev macrumors 6502

Hi, I need a server and was wondering whether the server configuration of the Mac Mini or the base model of the iMac is better. Price doesn't matter here, it's just $200.

Mac Mini vs. iMac

0.1 faster processor vs. 0.1 slower processor

500 GB more space vs. 500 less (I have a 3TB Time Capsule, space is no issue)

No screen vs. Screen

1 TB port (when it comes out) vs. 2 TB ports

2. jackhdev thread starter macrumors 6502

And anything else I may have missed... What would you choose if they were the same price?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why do you think you need a server at all? The fact that you're even considering the iMac suggests you probably don't need one.

4. jackhdev, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

jackhdev thread starter macrumors 6502

I can think of at least ten different reasons an average person could use a server. But I need one to host my website (more space and traffic instead of being limited at 1 GB for both), PHP, and MySQL databases for my iOS apps. Sure, I could probably get this from my hosting company, but for something about $100 per month.

Also, the iMac is just as powerful as the Mac Mini at the base model, never mind the the 27 inch models. I don't think I'm wrong in pursuing the iMac because it has a screen for an extra $200, instead of being forced to buy the Apple 27 inch screen for $1000 (and I don't want one without Thunderbolt, FaceTime HD Camera, etc.).

5. mrklaw macrumors 68020

I can well imagine someone needs a server. What I can't imagine is why you'd choose either of those machines as one. Although I often see this - people say 'I need to do X and Y, should I buy this or that', where what they should be asking is one step back - 'I need to do X and Y, what do I need'.

You say yourself you have a 3TB Time capsule (although not really that useful as a server if you're using the space for backups).

If you want 24/7 availability, go for the base mini, not the server model. You don't need a screen at all, you want something you can hide away in a cupboard and manage headlessly via screen sharing or web server.

For storage I'd go with either direct external HDDs attached via firewire, or possibly get a separate NAS connected via wired gig ethernet.

And you don't need power, so I'd be tempted to get a refurb 2010 model when the new ones come out to save even more. TB is a red herring IMO. Yes it promises fast transfer speeds, but costs look very high right now.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

buy an imac and your electric bill will be higher. the imac will pull more juice.

205 max for the 21 inch

310 for the 27 inch

mac mini 85 max so 100 to 200 more watts

lets say 100 that is 2400 a day. in New Jersey USA that would be about 50 cents a day or 170 to 190 a year.

7. zedsdead macrumors 68040

If you are using it as a server, wait until later this week and get the new updated sever model of the Mac Mini.

The iMac will really not be necessary for what you need to do it sounds like. Also, you noted in your post that is has 2 ThunderBolt Ports however only the 27" model has two.

8. jackhdev thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, great thanks for your help! I was a little concerned with storage and TB because I'm going to put my whole iTunes library on the server and see if I can stream it to my computer. But I guess I'll be going with the Mini then!

9. japtor macrumors regular

For that use you'd be fine with a 2009 mini and FireWire (or even USB) drive. Even the 2006 mini could do it fine, but that can't run Lion.