Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

App subscription service Setapp today announced plans to launch an alternative app store for iOS and iPadOS in 2024.

Setapp-Europe-Feature-1.jpg

The European Union's Digital Markets Act (DMA), which came into effect on November 1, 2022, requires "gatekeeper" companies to open up their services and platforms to other companies and developers. The DMA will have a significant impact on Apple's platforms, and it could result in Apple being forced to make major changes to the ‌App Store‌, Messages, FaceTime, Siri, and more.

Apple is expected to be compelled to allow users to download apps from outside its official App Store. Otherwise known as sideloading, the change would allow customers to download apps without needing to use the App Store, which would mean developers wouldn't need to pay Apple's 15 to 30 percent fees.

Apple is believed to be planning to implement sideloading support in iOS 17 to comply with the new European regulations by next year. Apple must comply with the DMA or it risks fines of as much as 20 percent of its global revenue.

Setapp offers a large collection of Mac apps in a single subscription service. The company's new app store for iOS and iPadOS will ensure that users can access universal Setapp apps on other devices, as well as a range of apps new to the Setapp catalog from over 30 developers.

Users interested in being among the first to try Setapp's alternative app store once it is available can now sign up to a waiting list. It will be available in the European Union only.

Article Link: Setapp Planning to Launch Alternative App Store for iOS in Europe

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Since Apple is only a hardware company…and is very concerned about our privacy… I believe the best is just to make the App Store free, so they have what they want!

I am not sure about "free". How do the people who work reviews (to make sure the app is in compliance and not breaking the rules, etc.) at the Apple App Store apps get paid? Was the "15-30%" fund commission go to the App reviewers?

Doodah7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2016
re: DMA - I think that is a dumb move. I am not comfortable having a "side load" on my iPhone due to security issues.
If you are in America, it won’t bother you then and you can stay nice and comfy. For us in Europe, this will provide greater flexibility and usability for our IOS devices.

Setapp are based in Cork in Ireland!! Yay!!!!

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
re: DMA - I think that is a dumb move. I am not comfortable having a "side load" on my iPhone due to security issues.

Well it's a good thing YOU DON'T HAVE TO. Just like on Android it is completely optional. You don't want to sideload, you don't have to. Keep the toggle off and stick with the Apple App Store. But it's there if you want to ever change your mind and want to venture outside of the walled garden.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
If you are in America, it won’t bother you then and you can stay nice and comfy. For us in Europe, this will provide greater flexibility and usability for our IOS devices.

Setapp are based in Cork in Ireland!! Yay!!!!

Good for you. It's not that I can stay nice and comfy, I care about privacy and security. Will you be willing to fork over $60 - 120 per year?

Doodah7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2016
I’m curious as to whether Apple will include the UK in their EU plans. I’m guessing not.
The DMA is EU legislation and is obviously not applicable to the UK. However it would be up to Apple to work out a technical solution to ensure that the UK are excluded, probably based on whatever appstore is set as the default country against an Apple ID.

Reactions: koil

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Apple needs to pull out of Europe.

They ain't gonna do that lmao. Europe is too big a market to leave and their shareholders would pull out in droves if Apple left an entire continent just because they lost a little bit of their app store monopoly.

Plus, Japan has mandated sideloading for 2024 as well. You gonna tell Apple to pull out of Japan too? Fat chance when Japan is iPhone dominated with an over 70% marketshare for Apple.

SetApp is malware.

Then don't use it. If you know SetApp ain't legit, don't use it. Consumers will follow to what works and what doesn't when sideloading becomes available, just like on desktops.

Doodah7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2016
Good for you. It's not that I can stay nice and comfy, I care about privacy and security. Will you be willing to fork over $60 - 120 per year?
What am I paying $60 to $120 a year for? Setapp? There will be plenty of other apps - available direct from the publisher - cheaper, as I won't have to pay the 30% Apple Tax. Using the Setapp service does not mean less privacy and security. Why would you correlate the two? By the way, we use euro not dollars for the most part in the EU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.