Setting down external drive on my MBP causes it to sleep.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryan700, May 21, 2017.

1. Ryan700 macrumors member

Ryan700

Lately when I put down my Seagate external drive on the left side of the case next to the trackpad my Mac goes to sleep. I installed an SSD but found out it was on the right side so probably this is not what is causing it. Anyone else have this happen and fixed it?

2. oserere macrumors newbie

3. Ryan700 thread starter macrumors member

Ryan700

Thanks. That explains it. I wonder if it's damaging to my computer if I do it a lot.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your MBPro is designed to go to sleep when a magnet is moved into the location where the sleep sensor exists.
    Completely normal, although that is USUALLY what you want to happen when you close the lid.
    So, you might not expect it to happen, so just be aware of the location of your external drive --- or find a different location to place your drive. An inch or two difference should be enough for the internal sleep sensor to either "sleep", or not.

Unless you prefer to sleep your MBPro with that technique, rather than closing the lid.
    (to answer your question directly --- does not damage anything)

5. Ryan700 thread starter macrumors member

Ryan700

Thanks, I was a little worried. Anything to do with static or magnetism as the cause of a different behaviour sometimes worries me.