Setting off store alarms

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c42480, Nov 20, 2016.

1. c42480 macrumors newbie

Im an android user and this is my first Iphone. My work bought me a 7plus because I refused to buy one. It was nice of them to do so. So now I'm trying to figure things out on this phone. The biggest issue is that whenever i walk into a store with the magnetic security wall things they go off. I was not sure what it was so i took my phone and waved it passed the security wall things and it went off. How do i stop the phone from doing this? I know it can be done as i see many people walk threw them with iPhones and they do not go off.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I never heard of such thing.
    I walked by many times at stores exits that use those anti theft magnetic security entrances with my 7 plus and never had them go off.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Either your work added something like something to it (like a tag/sticker or something like that) that might be in play here, or the device is defective in some way (of course this is assuming it's the phone and not something else).

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I once had a camera that would set off a bookstore's alarm - they looked up the first time, then asked for help and we determined it was the camera for some reason. This was a good 10 years ago though and we never found out what the problem was.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Maybe you forgot to remove the store security sticker on the inside of your iPhone case. :D

Yeah, first I've heard of that. Not likely anything about a standard iPhone that would set that off, so likely something that your company has physically attached to your phone. (Maybe you should ask whoever got that iPhone for you, they might know why, too!)

If it is only that one store, maybe their sensor is simply too sensitive. Might want to ask at the store, if it is one that you frequently enter. Unless you like answering questions every time your enter or leave the store.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

The sensors can indeed be adjusted; my wife used to work at a library and the security sensors needed to be adjusted now and then. I think it may have something to do with separation from the sensors themselves or how close you are to the sensor.

7. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Check the bottom of your shoes for a stuck security sticker deal. Happened to me once as a kid lol. They thought I was stealing something.

8. google macrumors regular

I have had similar issues at the stores and no nothing I am doing wrong.

9. GalaDaliGirl macrumors regular

Seven for Mankind store clerk today told me it's my phone. It happens to me all the time.

10. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

My mom's artificial knee and hip will sometimes set the alarms off. :eek:

11. c42480 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know there is nothing on the phone. I purchased the phone from the apple store and my work reimbursed me. So they have never touched the phone. Also there is nothing loaded from them on the phone. I needed the iPhone for iMessage so i can send engineers videos of what I'm working on in the field. Also if i power down the phone it will not set off the alarm. Today it did it to me at Lowes, Homedepot, AT&T store, and a shoe store.

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Check your shirt tags. I didn't clip one, and it set off all the alarms.

Your phone should not do it.

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Take your iPhone to an Apple store. Tell them of your experience. A genius might replace your phone.

Another couple of things to try.
    Turn OFF bluetooth, then walk past a sensor that you set off normally.
    Try the same with your Wifi turned off.
    If you still get the alarm, enable Airplane mode (which turns off all radios in your phone)

14. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

that. sounds like a manufacturing defect and RF that is normally sheilded is leaking out of your phone.

15. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

This post had me laughing (Not at your Mom, just in general).

16. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

No worries. I make fun of her too when it happens. Haha.

17. Violetjunebug, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

Violetjunebug macrumors member

Violetjunebug

My husband sets the alarms off as well... He has metal parts after many back surgeries...lol

18. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

This is all very...alarming....
    --- Post Merged, Nov 21, 2016 ---
    Here's another thread about how someone's Apple Watch was doing the same thing: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-watch-sport-sets-off-security-alarms-in-shops.1873393/

19. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Wow! What happens if you refuse to buy a Mercedes and refuse to buy a lakeside mansion?

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

That's not a normal thing. I mean, millions of people carry iPhones. If it was normal for them to set of store security devices it would be happening all the time, rendering such security worse than useless.

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I just posted in the other thread then saw this. Never realized it could be the Apple watch I just got.

22. Foursees macrumors newbie

Foursees

--- Post Merged, May 28, 2017 ---
    My iPhone 7 plus does it in Best Buy, Lowes and today in Academy stores, so embarrassing. It goes off when I walk in and goes off when I leave. Finally I learned to turn my phone off, when I enter the store. Any suggestions on what to do?

23. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Go to the Apple Store and get it swapped.

24. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

No iPhone I've ever owned has done this. I like the idea of turning off bluetooth. it's operating at 2.4 MHz. If the theft devices are operating at a multiple of what your phone is using it could set them off. So, it could be your phone's bluetooth is off frequency for some reason.

25. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I would do the same thing too.