Setting up 2013 Mac Pro with (2) Sony X720E works, but...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dlpro, May 17, 2018.

1. dlpro macrumors newbie

Hi, here's the scoop.

I have a 2013 Mac Pro (Black) running High Sierra 10.13.4.

I purchase (2) Sony X720E displays. One is a 43 inch, the other 49. In order to get every thing to work, I purchased:

(2) Vantec VLINK Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDNO 2.0 Active adapter. I provided the link below.

For the 43 inch display, I'm running a 20 foot (HOSS Active High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 24AWG, YUV 4:4:4, CL3, 20ft, Black) Link provided below.

For the 49 inch display, I'm running a 9 foot (Siig Premium Braided High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet 4Kx2K - 3M - Red). Link also provided below.

I'm running both displays at: 3840 x 2160 @60Hrz. I can also run them using HiDPI as well. There's no mouse lag whatsoever, so I'm pretty impressed about this setup.

So here's my question. When I turn on the Mac Pro, usually in the morning, I can see a slight degradation in the macOS, web and email text. Usually, this subsides after an hour or so. If I change the resolution using (SwitchResX) and then return to the usual 3840 x 2160, the text degradation sometimes returns. Sometimes it doesn't.

I find it strange that this is even occurring. Is there anything I can do about this and are there any tests I can run or app's to buy to run specific tests?

When everything is working great, the displays are amazingly clear and the colors are awesome. I'm just wondering if there's anything to do about the text issue.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

https://www.vantecusa.com/products_..._name=Adapters&pt_id=3&pt_name=Audio++++Video

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14467

https://frys.com/product/9412941?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

2. andy89 macrumors 6502

It could be that those are televisions and not up to monitor spec, or more likely your GPU (like mine) is toast. I've had similar issues on 2 different displays so I know in my case it's the Mac Pro. I'll be taking it into the nearest Apple Store when I get a chance.

3. dlpro thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think the D500 is toast, and the Sony's were rated best on the Rting.com site for PC. I know these are not labeled as PC monitors, but when they work, they're just as clear if not clearer than my LG Curved computer monitor. I was wondering if there's anything I could get to run tests, etc...

4. dlpro thread starter macrumors newbie

5. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

try if you can find something called enable game mode or similar on the displays. this way, all the so-called image-enhancers usually will be turned off.

6. dlpro thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it set to Graphics, which is Sony's PC mode. The text is 70% there. Just trying to finesse it. Thanks!