Setting up new iPhone 6 plus. iTunes vs OTA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ray737, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ray737 macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone with icloud running really slow due to everyone downloading. I am considering restoring my new phone using iTunes from a previous back up. Will all the apps and wifi passwords etc be restored exactly the way it was from my previous back up the same way OTA does it?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I did my restore OTA and my daughter's through iTunes. Both worked fine.

3. ray737 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

The only beef i am frustrated with is itunes authorization. Apple only allows 5 laptops/computers to each account. After all of these yrs, i have switched many computers and laptops both personal and work. I had to dig up my old laptops, get on itunes and deauthorized them. I forgot some of the log-in passwords to my old laptops. Anyhow, im good now. But that's my gripe of the day.

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Using iTunes is much faster then OTA. Basically plug in the old phone, run an iTunes backup. Then plug in the new iPhone and restore. Everything will fall into place exactly the way it was. There may be a few passwords you will need to enter but as a whole, the process is quite painless.

6. infiniteentropy macrumors regular

You can (or at least used to be able to) deauthorize all devices once per year, then you could just reauthorize the ones you still use. Haven't tried this in years so I don't know if that's still the case.

7. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Prolly so, but i never remember to do that...arghhhhhh