Setting up new iPhone 6 plus. iTunes vs OTA

ray737

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Hey Everyone with icloud running really slow due to everyone downloading. I am considering restoring my new phone using iTunes from a previous back up. Will all the apps and wifi passwords etc be restored exactly the way it was from my previous back up the same way OTA does it?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I did my restore OTA and my daughter's through iTunes. Both worked fine.

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
The only beef i am frustrated with is itunes authorization. Apple only allows 5 laptops/computers to each account. After all of these yrs, i have switched many computers and laptops both personal and work. I had to dig up my old laptops, get on itunes and deauthorized them. I forgot some of the log-in passwords to my old laptops. Anyhow, im good now. But that's my gripe of the day.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Hey Everyone with icloud running really slow due to everyone downloading. I am considering restoring my new phone using iTunes from a previous back up. Will all the apps and wifi passwords etc be restored exactly the way it was from my previous back up the same way OTA does it?
Using iTunes is much faster then OTA. Basically plug in the old phone, run an iTunes backup. Then plug in the new iPhone and restore. Everything will fall into place exactly the way it was. There may be a few passwords you will need to enter but as a whole, the process is quite painless.

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
The only beef i am frustrated with is itunes authorization. Apple only allows 5 laptops/computers to each account. After all of these yrs, i have switched many computers and laptops both personal and work. I had to dig up my old laptops, get on itunes and deauthorized them. I forgot some of the log-in passwords to my old laptops. Anyhow, im good now. But that's my gripe of the day.
You can (or at least used to be able to) deauthorize all devices once per year, then you could just reauthorize the ones you still use. Haven't tried this in years so I don't know if that's still the case.

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
You can (or at least used to be able to) deauthorize all devices once per year, then you could just reauthorize the ones you still use. Haven't tried this in years so I don't know if that's still the case.
Prolly so, but i never remember to do that...arghhhhhh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.