Setting up WD Studio Edition II to run both Super Duper and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrschmitt, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mrschmitt macrumors newbie

I would like to set up my Studio Edition II (with two separate 1TB drives in it) to run both Super Duper and TM. From what I have read, I need to setup two separate partitions, and then have Super Duper use one and TM use the other. I am trying to do this in the safest possible way. Should I use the RAID 1 configuration that the drive lets me use? Also, could somebody please walk me through how they would suggest that I best get this setup?
    Thanks
    Matt

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I would raid the two drives together and then partition. This way you get 2TB of storage to work with. Otherwise you only get 1TB which is mirrored. I do not think you need a mirror of backed up data stored at the same physical location. IMHO.

3. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

RAIDing your drives together has a bigger failure rate. Just let superduper go on 1 drive and time machine on the other.

4. mrschmitt thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i use the two drives separately? Right now I have it in Raid 0 (default) and it gives me a 2 TB drive. As far as I know, in Raid 1, it gives me a 1 TB drive, but it is mirrored. How can I use the two drives independently, or do I have to do it some other way?
    Thanks again,
    Matt

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

With the WD Mybook you cannot use them seperate. Which I why I suggested raiding them as one large drive. Yes it has a higher failure rate, but if this is only for back ups, I guess you have to weigh the risk. Any back up drive can fail at any time I suppose.

6. mrschmitt thread starter macrumors newbie

If I set up the drive as Raid 0 and partition the drive into 2, will the drive still be bootable? I want to make sure that my super duper backup will be bootable, and that I have a TM backup on the same drive.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

Should be. Easy enough to test...