Setting up Yahoo pop3 server on Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sir Loin Steak, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

I want to set my OH's Mail program to access her yahoo mail account, but it doesn't seem to want to play.

I have set my own Hotmail account to work in Mail with no problem, but with Yahoo, when I enter the usual POP3 server info, it just rejects it.

Will it make any difference that we are using a.uk Yahoo address instead of a .com one?

Or is it impossible to set up a Yahoo email account in Mail on a Mac?

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Free version of Yahoo mail will not work with the mail app. You have 2 choices.

1. Get the Yahoo Plus account which costs money.

2. (This is what I do) Log into mail.yahoo.com. Click on My Account. On the Yahoo Account Info page go to the bottom. Click on Set Language, Site, and Time Zone. On Regional Site and Language choose Yahoo Asia. It is still in English, but Yahoo Asia does Pop3.

If you choose number 2, when you set up the Mail app it will say it can't authenticate when you set it up. Just click continue and when it shows the info change "plus.pop.Whatever" to just "pop.whatever". Same goes for "plus.smtp.whatever" to "smtp.whatever"

3. Kyffin macrumors 6502

You can do it without the plus account (and avoid paying money for your email account:eek:), you do need to remove the 'plus' for the chain- will post back shortly with more details

4. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Hmm, thanks, I tried this but didn't get to see the "plus.... etc." parts at all.

I changed the location to Asia, but kept the language as London/UK. Something I'm doing wrong?

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

After you change it to yahoo asia, go back to the Mail app. Make new account, put in your email/password.

It will say "Logging in to plus.pop.whatever failed" at the bottom. Click Continue and it will go to the next page. There, the second line needs the "plus." removed from the server name. Same with later for the smtp server.

http://www.khimhoe.net/2009/06/20/how-to-enable-pop3-in-yahoo-mail/

6. Kyffin macrumors 6502

7. misterpasta macrumors member

8. Kyffin macrumors 6502

I think committing $20 every year for life is the madness- once its done you can forget about it, and its not that hard to do.

You don't really get anything more for your money either!

9. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

It's not the end of the world - I like using Mail, but SWMBO won't know the difference or what she's missing.

10. Kyffin macrumors 6502

11. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

No, afraid not. I don't see the word, "plus", anywhere.

12. Kyffin macrumors 6502

It looks like your question seems to have been split over two threads now- here's a link to the thread where Dalton63841 has kindly posted some pictures where you take the 'plus' out. The thread's in the 'mac basics and help' section, and if you've not seen it its the way to go- any difficulties post back and I'll have a look but doing this should fix it for you. Regards, K
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1055538

13. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hey, I've just had an idea- given there have been a few posts about setting up pop3 with mac mail (gmail and yahoo!) in the last few days how about starting a thread that goes into detail on how to do this?

It could be a useful reference to direct people to and I don't mind doing the yahoo! bit in the next couple of days or so (could do the gmail bit too but haven't really had the time to play about with this account yet). Just a thought

14. oneasail macrumors newbie

I can send yahoo but cannot receive mail

I set up my yahoo mail...sort of....by deleting the plus...I can send mail but cannot receive.....also, does not have my contact list. HOWEVER, I also downloaded a yahoo widget for dashboard and can send and receive yahoo, but no address/contacts auto fill....
    Since I already have this yahoo account can I now change it, without having to add another email address, to the asia?
    Thanks and HNY

15. soromak macrumors newbie

I am afraid all other people commenting before me are wrong!

It is possible to set up pop3/smtp for yahoo.co.uk/ymail.com domains for free.
    You just need to login to your webmail, enable it in Options (pop3/forwarding) and then use any of the settings:
    pop3: pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk (use SSL)
    smtp: smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk (use SSL and port 465)
    It will also work with standard pop.mail.yahoo.com/smtp.mail.yahoo.com but since you are UK based I suggest to use those .co.uk as it will be faster.

Moreover you can easily setup IMAP account with your yahoo.co.uk domain.
    Just use imap.mail.yahoo.com and SSL.
    Works like a charm for me.
    Let me know if you need any further help.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Sending and receiving are two different animals. You may send messages through any outgoing mail server to which you have access. In the original MacOS X 10, the Mac acted as its own outgoing mail server. To receive messages, you must have credentials on the incoming mail server.

17. soromak macrumors newbie

I did explain in the previous message that he needed to enable pop3 access in the Options menu.
    Without that even correct credentials will be rejected by Yahoo servers.

18. Kyffin macrumors 6502

My Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) is set to "Yahoo! mail" (the default setting). It works like a charm for me, no problems at all with sending messages- maybe it might be worth your having a look at the options settings in your Yahoo! account to enable this?

19. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Or avoid that madness and get a gmail account, forward all yahoo mail for a period of time, and set up gmail with pop access or, better, imap access.

20. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

Note: You **can** configure gmail to pull your (free account) yahoo mail on the continuum, **and** choose whether to send as if coming from that yahoo account. You can make that selection per email (drop down menu in From field), or always-- it's all in the gmail settings pages.
    http://trai.name/technology/get-and-send-your-yahoo-mail-with-gmail/

If that's too dated, just run a search for send yahoo mail from gmail.

21. anneyl35 macrumors newbie

Using Asia Account Works!!

Thank you so much. I joined just to post this thank you for the work around. I wanted to give one more piece of info that was not obvious to me and at first prevented me from accessing my yahoo account via mac mail. That is - after changing to Yahoo Asia, I had to go to the settings in my Yahoo email account and select the box to allow POP access. Then I went to mail and followed the directions to delete "plus" in the POP and SMTP boxes.

I switched away from Yahoo because of the requirement to pay for Yahoo Plus to get forwarding. I don't agree with the poster who says we should just pay the annual fee. There's no reason to pay for Yahoo service when it's provided free from competitors.

I'm also annoyed that I can access Yahoo on my iphone, but not via Mail on my computer. I only discovered an important email on Yahoo because it appeared on my phone. Mail lets me access all my emails in on my computer, and I shouldn't have to separately log on to Yahoo just to check that one old email.

Thanks again to those who supplied this much needed work around.

22. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

Thank you so much this works and is free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also note if you use yahoo browser for searching, set it as your main page when you open internt and then login to mail and your good to go, dont need to worry about yahoo asia poping up it you do it like that

thanks agian