Settle An Argument With My Dad!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ComicStix, May 3, 2010.

1. ComicStix macrumors member

Original:
    My dad wants to buy an iPad, but I say a laptop will be more functional for the family. My mom being the reasonable one in the house disagrees with both :D. Anyways, we already have a 10.6 imac and i guess we would just use it in the living room to plug all our schedules in so everyone knows where everyone is. But I think we would get more use out of a family laptop. Who do you agree with?
    Revised (F.Y.I):
    Maybe I didn't word it correctly but we're not "arguing" per say. He's just asking me for opinions on what we should get. He's leaning toward iPad but he's open for suggestions. I don't want an iPad for myself. Way to throw it out of proportion guys! :D

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree with your dad. When you go out and support a family, you get to make that decision.

3. supercaliber macrumors regular

have laptops and desktops and an iPad.

If I didn't own a laptop or an ipad, I wouldn't choose the iPad first. The iPad is not a full computer replacement. No mouse, frustrating for power typers, et cetera.

I think the iPad is best suited for reading books and for casual browsing. If you have young kids in the family then its great for games.

4. Queso macrumors G4

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It's stupid to just say "Agree with the Dad". If he really just wants an iPad, then so be it. He can buy one. If he's conferring at all with the family then I'm guessing he'd consider something else, or this is entirely pointless...

My advice... I think the iPad would be more suited to what you want if the software is there for you.

To make it feasible to have everyone's schedule on it you would need to have some sort of Over the Air syncing. If everyone in your family uses Gmail and Google Calendar you can set up a GMail account for your "Family Gmail" and have everyone share their calendar to the Family account. You can chose to show just busy or free or the actual events.

Then on the iPad set up Google Sync (It's Exchange syncing) to sync the iPad with the Family account.

Now when you go to the iPad it will always have the latest of everyone's calendars for all to see.

The same and more can be done with a laptop, but those are more expensive. :)

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

Sorry, an iPad with GCal or Mobile Me would be perfect for what you guys want to do.

It sounds like you're looking for an excuse to get a laptop. ;)

7. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If your dad wants an iPad then let him get an iPad. Why do you believe whatever he buys is for the family (aka your use) anyway?

If he is using his account he gets to decide. If he's using your account to pay then you get to decide. Seems like there should never be an argument over what a father buys for himself when speaking to a dependent child.

9. supercaliber macrumors regular

Seriously??!!

When it comes to tech most fathers would do well deferring most decisions to their children. I am a techie and a father. I have learned the hard way, Dads make bad technology decisions by not consulting their children, period.

One thing every Dad wants to avoid, buying a cool gadget that a year from now is covered in dust and sitting under the couch because nobody used it.

We all have boxes of that crap sitting in our garages. What isn't sitting out there? The stuff my kids use.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe he's one of these kids Jordan was ranting about. Shrug.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There should never be an argument between a father and a dependent child over what they're buying. Good work missing the keyword there, I've bolded it for you this time around.

Consulting your child is one thing, arguing over it is another thing. I don't agree that every father should be consulting their children on major purchases. Sure, they can ask, but I'd like to think that the adult can make adult decisions by going out and checking out whatever they want to buy. Whatever happened to researching a purchase?

12. supercaliber macrumors regular

Gee thanks. But you are playing with semantics now as we could easily hijack this entire thread discussing the usage of "argument." Are we having one yet????

As for research, there is no better, faster, more reliable research on technology than to ask your teenager.

I think the OP is saying, "Dad, we need a laptop before we get an iPad"

And if they don't have a laptop yet, I would agree with him.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can attach a keyboard, maybe a mouse too... not sure, haven't seen that yet.

Dad wins. Kid is coming here to ask for ammo. You need your own, kiddo.

Next episode of The Mac Ref... MS Word vs. Pages pits man against dog. Don't miss it!

14. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Well said. When you make your own money, you buy what you want. Until then, I wouldn't be arguing with anyone about how they spend their money.

15. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

iPads are very convenient to pick up and go, but if you need a more powerful device for secondary computing, get a laptop.

16. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

Laptop > iPad (when you have to choose between one OR the other).

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Simple solution

OP, you want a laptop right? Get a job and buy it yourself

Your dad has a job and also pays for your home and food so he can buy what he wants with or without your support

18. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

iPad, no question. I have an iMac, a MBP and an iPad. I'm also a father. So I have all the bases covered. The iPad does all the things you need to do. You won't get more use out of a laptop.

19. supercaliber macrumors regular

You can't attach a mouse, one of my major issues. The iPad is a woeful replacement computer. You can't even print. Using touch to highlight text or do real editing has an impossible learning curve and will never be as fast as a mouse.

If you want to do any real typing on it you have to have a keyboard and good luck using that on your lap while you chill in front of the tube, it won't work.

I hear these unabated ipad lovers and I just cringe. I seriously have no idea what these people are thinking.

I use my iPad every day so far, but it is nowhere near as productive as using a laptop.

It is good for reading, casual browsing and playing games. That is all.

I am firmly of the belief that it would come after a laptop, hands down.

20. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I have absolutely no desire for an iPad, but I don't think the term "family laptop" works at all. I can't comment on the iPad, but laptops are really designed to follow one person around.

I sure wouldn't share my MacBook Pro with anyone. ;)

21. ComicStix thread starter macrumors member

C'mon guys you make it seem like I'm arguing with my dad. He asked me what we should get so I decided to ask you guys about it. No need to be all rude and attack me :(

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Whatever the responses above, I’d get the MBP. Tell him about getting a refurb and get the 13 inch. It’s only around a $1,000-$1,100, which is not too much more than an iPad and you can do so much more. One of the big things that sucks about the iPad is that you’re stuck with an OS that has been modified and where Apple has all the control.

Edit: Oh, and it seems like some of the responders made a lot of assumptions about the family dynamics here. I think you guys were discussing this. Some think you were arguing. Perhaps your title sucked.

23. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

definitely the laptop with the condition that mom and dad are first in line, so you will be more than likely using the iMac still.

24. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

With a Jailbreak you can attach a mouse.

25. Superguard703 macrumors newbie

Unless there is going to be anything more than light/casual use then the iPad is the way to go in my opinion.