Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer the Touch Bar over the old F-Keys?

• Yes!

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • Yes, but it needs more development

Votes: 53 38.7%
  • No, bring the F-keys back!

Votes: 63 46.0%

• Total voters

pallymore

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Boston, MA
It's useless to me.
After 4 months I still hesitate and have to look down when I need to hit ESC.
And I need to use ESC key a lot in my day job.

I don't really care too much about the F-keys - I personally don't use them. But I can't see why looking down on a separate screen and pick something is better than using hotkeys. Unfortunately most of the functionalities that the touch-bar provides is useless to pro users.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
The solution is to bring back the function keys, and put the touch bar above them (closer to the screen where you're already looking). This way it gives you the best of both worlds.

Maybe they need to increase the usefulness of the touch bar by having it relay information, like a marquee of stocks, news, incoming texts or emails, the time, weather etc.

Reactions: Ener Ji

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
The solution is to bring back the function keys, and put the touch bar above them (closer to the screen where you're already looking). This way it gives you the best of both worlds.

Maybe they need to increase the usefulness of the touch bar by having it relay information, like a marquee of stocks, news, incoming texts or emails, the time, weather etc.

Its not useful if you have to look down to see it. This is the problem with the touchbar. To anyone who can touch type it can only get in the way.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
will apple ever give 10 hours pro level battery life

Silly man - don't you know the new MBPs give you 10 hours of battery life? ;)

As long as you're not doing anything, at least . . . I get 4-5 hours of normal use on a full charge.

Reactions: Ener Ji

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
If Apple gets an opportunity, they'll make the laptop thinner rather than put in a bigger battery.

Imagine if Apple kept the 2015 chassis and crammed in a large battery that gave you a 2 day charge? That would be a game changer.

will apple ever give 10 hours pro level battery life

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
If Apple gets an opportunity, they'll make the laptop thinner rather than put in a bigger battery.

Imagine if Apple kept the 2015 chassis and crammed in a large battery that gave you a 2 day charge? That would be a game changer.

iirc there's a legal limit to how large a battery can be before you can't legally take it on a flight, and the 2012-2015 15" Retina Pros were pretty much right at that limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.