Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
so it's a software issue? will be interested to see if this fixes the "Burn in".

i found it odd that a screen can burn in so badly that quickly so maybe it's a visual glitch due to software.

so it's a software issue? will be interested to see if this fixes the "Burn in".

i found it odd that a screen can burn in so badly that quickly so maybe it's a visual glitch due to software.
They may have identified a software issue with how iOS mitigates burn in, but I don’t see how an update will fix any existing damage.

I am updating now and will report back after.

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
did you post any pictures of your screen? i want to see a before / after (if it fixes or improves it)
I did not and the main reason why is because I don't have another camera or phone to take pictures with lol. But I can definitely let you know and maybe can borrow a friends phone and take pictures later if it doesn't fix the issue.

Reactions: krspkbl

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
They may have identified a software issue with how iOS mitigates burn in, but I don’t see how an update will fix any existing damage.

if it's really burn in then yeah it's not going to do anything but it might not be burn in. like i said in my other post even crappy screens shouldn't get burn in within 1 week - 1 month unless you really tried hard to make it happen.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I did not and the main reason why is because I don't have another camera or phone to take pictures with lol. But I can definitely let you know and maybe can borrow a friends phone and take pictures later if it doesn't fix the issue.
it's cool. hopefully it improves/fixes it for you.

Reactions: Tokenfreak

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
So glad it was damage to the OLED screen and wast just some sort of software display glitch.
umm do you mean

"So glad it wasn't damage to the OLED screen and was just some sort of software display glitch."

:p you're all back to front (i hope)

Reactions: Tokenfreak

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I checked my iPhone 15 Pro Max and there is no issue on my display.

What exactly was done to cause this burn-in?

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I checked my iPhone 15 Pro Max and there is no issue on my display.

What exactly was done to cause this burn-in?
It wasn't burn-in. OLED displays had the tendency of accumulating small electrical charges in the transistors that turn ON and OFF the pixels. You need to "discharge" those in order to remove any image retention from the display. It's done in software, and probably a bug prevented it to run in some devices.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Im glad that this is fixed via a software update. What's always puzzled me is for software glitches, you would think everyone would have this bc we all have the same software, etc.

I wonder why its only a few select phones?

Reactions: adam1080

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Great question @AndrewR23. You would think it would be more widespread.

Sooo.... My burn-in(obviously image retention with a slice of something extra) changed drastically from my first pictures till the last few days. The images in the middle were gone and it was more a solid box of muck with a weird line on the lefthand side except for the home row which did show individual apps.

The evolution of it was strange.

Upgraded to 17.1 and images are all but gone. There does seem to be a vague bright spot on that middle, lefthand side but it is only visible so far in the most extreme viewing circumstances. So, my screen uniformity is not perfect for what the most demanding would call perfect, but compared to the original problem... wow. Definitely going to be keeping my original phone and glad I did not accept their replacement with the stupid sharp edges that scraped across my palm and fabric.

What a ride. Sorry I used the word "burn-in" in my thread title y'all...

Jay3197

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
This is dumb. It should not happen on a new, expensive, phone like this. Get outta here with that just deal with it.
🤣 I knew logic was dead but this just takes the cake !

Correct it shouldn’t happen no one on this forum ever said it should. However it has so now what? Simply go get your screen replaced if you are the victim of this OR as some have mentioned, seems as though some have successfully gotten their return periods extended and gotten full refunds.

Hopefully Apple makes massive strides to ensure the 16 Pros and Pro launches go a lot smoother than the 15 has.

Last edited:
Reactions: golfnut1982

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Great question @AndrewR23. You would think it would be more widespread.

Sooo.... My burn-in(obviously image retention with a slice of something extra) changed drastically from my first pictures till the last few days. The images in the middle were gone and it was more a solid box of muck with a weird line on the lefthand side except for the home row which did show individual apps.

The evolution of it was strange.

Upgraded to 17.1 and images are all but gone. There does seem to be a vague bright spot on that middle, lefthand side but it is only visible so far in the most extreme viewing circumstances. So, my screen uniformity is not perfect for what the most demanding would call perfect, but compared to the original problem... wow. Definitely going to be keeping my original phone and glad I did not accept their replacement with the stupid sharp edges that scraped across my palm and fabric.

What a ride. Sorry I used the word "burn-in" in my thread title y'all...
Great news! Gotta wonder what caused the issue in the first place. Impressive fix. Too bad for the rocky start though. Just bought more stock!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: adam1080

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
The issue could also have something to do with the “always on” display software logic.
Nah, bc every single issue showed the home screen or an app/game. Never saw the lock screen + many had AOD turned off since day 1. Its such a random issue and im curious why only select phones got it.

My Pro has AOD turned on since day 1, had overheating but no image retention.

Lex404

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US)

Saw on a romanian forum, someone updated and the burn in disappeared.

So it's probably not physical burn in, more of a glitch.

And I thought that too, because most people had burn in of the home screen... who stays to look at the home screen? As I said before, I'd expect burn in from static logos in apps, maybe keyboard, battery icon and so on, but most had home screen icons...

Anorax1

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
Sydney
Wife and I have had our 15 Pro Max's for 19 days so far and the phones aren't showing any burn-in using the grey image test. We're both heavy phone users so I assume something would have shown up by now if our phones were affected. I assume it was a bad batch that has caused this latest issue as the problem does not seem to be universal. We don't use Always On Display and have the brightness set to auto adjust.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
The issue could also have something to do with the “always on” display software logic.
Weirdly, my problems arose or were noticed after turning OFF the AOD setting. It was always on for my 14 PRO for a year. Thought I might try and save some battery and turned it off. The next day or 2 I noticed the problem. Could be a major coincidence... might not. who knows.

Jkeith85

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2015
🤣 I knew logic was dead but this just takes the cake !

Correct it shouldn’t happen no one on this forum ever said it should. However it has so now what? Simply go get your screen replaced if you are the victim of this OR as some have mentioned, seems as though some have successfully gotten their return periods extended and gotten full refunds.

Hopefully Apple makes massive strides to ensure the 16 Pros and Pro launches go a lot smoother than the 15 has.

Your post didn’t say long that.

tom2517

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
How many iPhone 14 Pros did Apple sell in the past year and how many screens had this kind of burn in or image retention like this? It’s the same screen between the 14 Pro and 15 Pro. And it’s not one or two people; between here and Reddit there are maybe 20 examples within the past week or two, and that’s just the people who took the time to post on a public forum.

Some examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/179tfrb
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/1791mkn
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/178gmxs
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/17898qc
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/177pz8k
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/177o8ec
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/177mnwq
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/177jsqv
All of these are within the past three days only.
Yeah and I don’t see Apple doing a recall on their phones, Apple sold over 200 million units of iPhones last year. Sounds like limited issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.