Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
My 15 Pro Max also starts to burn in around keyboard and status bar elements 😖

That’s disappointing…

Btw… Apple rep told me can’t see anything wrong in this photo 🤨

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 345

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
I can't see anything wrong in that photo.
You can see part of keyboard.
Especially the return button on the right side and the 123+emoji buttons on the left side.

Also status bar icons are noticeable like clock, signal, WiFi and battery.

It’s more obvious in person, took that photo with an old galaxy s9.

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
My 15 Pro Max also starts to burn in around keyboard and status bar elements 😖

That’s disappointing…

Btw… Apple rep told me can’t see anything wrong in this photo 🤨
Is that G9P? Panel uniformity looks a lot like P.

Dead0k

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2015
Poland
It's worth noting that there was an interesting video last year about transferring burn-in to a new display.

Is it possible that this false burn-in is due to the new AI algorithms for True Tone calibration?
Interesting video.

According to information there and comments on youtube, it is rather related to TrueTone, but also some comments stating that without TrueTone they had burn-in effect too.

When it is active, it tries to adjust an image based on a sensor readings of an iPhone.
So when burn-in (screen wear out) happens a darker pixels appear and TrueTone applies light to pixels so to compensate dark.
It is also shown, that screen has its own memory so TrueTone settings can be copied from one screen to another.

You can check your TrueTone settings and share with us.
There is a solution proposed by one user - to open white background/picture and hold it on for 24h on active screen. Maybe worth to try.

I wonder how so fast screen could die? Must be some really faulty units (batch).

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2013
I think this problem is affecting small percentage of people Apple replaced for free

Attachments

• IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_6781.jpeg
    IMG_6781.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: brgjoe and tom2517

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
There is a solution proposed by one user - to open white background/picture and hold it on for 24h on active screen. Maybe worth to try.

Did you see or know what holding a static white image that long does to the screen though? Maybe if used as a last ditch effort, but in the iPhone X test shown on ArsTechnica burn in occurs at the 17 hour mark. I'd wonder if holding anything on the screen that long would just cause further damage. They used an an actual image though and not a white screen, as shown in the photos.

lta_macuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2019
California
Also have the same issue (to be fair, only really noticeable in specific conditions), but just checked my 13 Pro Max and it doesn't have any issues in comparison - Samsung screen as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4991.jpeg
    IMG_4991.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 158

whizkid11

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
My iPhone 12PM had the horrible green tint which loads of people suffered from so it’s debatable whether that was the last good release either
Talking about form and function, not individual hiccups. Plus, color can be adjusted in settings.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
WEEEEeeeeeelp...

Went in today to get my new "replacement" phone. Took a look at it carefully before signing(which was pushed quickly), phone looked ok, no blemishes, in retrospect the back glass and titanium band maybe felt a bit off but on the parts I felt seemed marginal at the moment.

Started transferring my eSim over to the new phone and all that jazz and held the phone in my right hand and noticed it didn't feel so smooth. Put my pop-socket on the new phone and held it with the bottom right corner digging into my palm like I always do and it was like a little razor.

It was sooooo noticeable and then I went back and forth between the two phones and it was perfectly clear the difference and that there was a big enough edge to catch on fabric and skin between the glass an the titanium.

Called the guy back over and told him nope...

He was able to see and feel the difference too. soooo glad I noticed it in time. Gave him the phone back, told him I wanted a new in box retail phone, not a replacement but I knew that would take time since there are none available and that I would have to go outside the AppleStore route itself to do that.

He checked with his manager about that regardless, and said they obvs don't have the new phones in stock but that there is no option in the system to even do that. The system itself won't allow it. Told him fine and to order another replacement and I would work other avenues.

If I used the phone with a case, this would be AS big a deal but it would have driven me bonkers with the primary weight of the phone digit into and scratching the palm of my hand all the time. Maybe it would fill up with dirt and detritus over time and be less noticeable, but no thanks.

Back to the drawing board....

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
WEEEEeeeeeelp...

Went in today to get my new "replacement" phone. Took a look at it carefully before signing(which was pushed quickly), phone looked ok, no blemishes, in retrospect the back glass and titanium band maybe felt a bit off but on the parts I felt seemed marginal at the moment.

Started transferring my eSim over to the new phone and all that jazz and held the phone in my right hand and noticed it didn't feel so smooth. Put my pop-socket on the new phone and held it with the bottom right corner digging into my palm like I always do and it was like a little razor.

It was sooooo noticeable and then I went back and forth between the two phones and it was perfectly clear the difference and that there was a big enough edge to catch on fabric and skin between the glass an the titanium.

He was able to see and feel the difference too. soooo glad I noticed it in time. Gave him the phone back, told him I wanted a new in box retail phone, not a replacement but I knew that would take time since there are none available and that I would have to go outside the AppleStore route itself to do that.

He checked with his manager about that regardless, and said they obvs don't have the new phones in stock but that there is no option in the system to even do that. The system itself won't allow it. Told him fine and to order another replacement and I would work other avenues.

If I used the phone with a case, this would be AS big a deal but it would have driven me bonkers with the primary weight of the phone digit into and scratching the palm of my hand all the time. Maybe it would fill up with dirt and detritus over time and be less noticeable, but no thanks.

So you are stuck with your current phone or finding a replacement that suits your needs? When I had multiple issues with 13 Pro Max units in 2021, I was able to get my return period extended to 28 or 30 days (not sure which) & got my money back.

Dead0k

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2015
Poland
WEEEEeeeeeelp...

Sharp edges from one side. Known problem too. Can you get a full refund and order a new phone independently?

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
WEEEEeeeeeelp...

Do you have a spare phone that can tide you through between now and the earliest you could get another retail iPhone?

If you have the means to do so; I’ll suggest return and get a refund for your faulty iPhone now and then purchase a new one when it becomes available.

tsukeyomi

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Wow the amount of phones with this issue on here and Reddit is pretty wild
And people still say it's a very limited issue. A very limited issue is one or two people complaining of the same problem, not dozens of reports everywhere and only God knows how many others that don't even know how to check.

HuskyRob

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2023
I noticed it last night while watching a movie in bed. Some image retention in the top third of the screen. Not as bad as some of the pictures here but it’s there nonetheless. Will try and get a picture at some point ☹️

tom2517

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
And people still say it's a very limited issue. A very limited issue is one or two people complaining of the same problem, not dozens of reports everywhere and only God knows how many others that don't even know how to check.
How many iPhones sold per year? iphone 15 already sold millions of units, to qualify as limited issue only one or two people can have the same problem? You got some extreme standards.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
15 Pro here and I also have burn in. I’ve had a 13 since launch day where I used the GPS for 8-10 hours straight and it has minimal burn in at the home bar and time…

Since the issue seems to appear rather quickly, I’m wondering if there’s anyone who’s received a replacement that’s also burned in.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
How many iPhones sold per year? iphone 15 already sold millions of units, to qualify as limited issue only one or two people can have the same problem? You got some extreme standards.

How many people notice the issue, consider it a problem, visit MacRumors, much less bother to register and post about it?

So far, there are 9 burn-in cases with photos in this thread alone.

Most people will just head to the Apple Store directly rather than discuss the issue online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.