Severe scratches on iPad 2 (Smart cover users) PICS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Coldsnow, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Coldsnow macrumors regular

So I've had my iPad 2 since December and use it almost everyday. I've been using the Smart cover from Apple in conjunction, and periodically I would see scratches in the back aluminum where it stands up (in typing position). I use it on my desk and move it around sometimes but the marks don't do justice to how I'm really treating my iPad. The marks started with scratches around the 4 corners and got to this. Anyone else's iPad look like this? :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

D= That looks bad!

I was afraid of something like this happening, so I ordered one of those clear back protectors before I even bought the iPad. So far nothing bad.
    I recently ordered a nice looking Gelaskins for the back only. Waiting for it to arrive.

3. Coldsnow, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

Coldsnow thread starter macrumors regular

I had on a Zagg invisible shield for the glass, I usually end up just taking screenshields off though. I like the look and feel of a naked iPad, extremely slim!

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

That sucks. But you can't expect anything less when you have friction between two metal surfaces. My brother is a long time smart cover user and his doesn't have that kind of wear.

You aren't lefty by chance?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This type of damage was reported withe the ipad two as well and many threads here relate to it. I have a brand new Smart Cover (ipad 2) can't even give it away. Never used it on my two, and my three has a padded targus vuscape case. No scratches...I'm OCD about keeping my Apple and other electronics products as new.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Interesting. I have a Logitech Ultrathin and it shows zero wear. Take it to Apple and see what they say.

7. Coldsnow, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

Nope, not a lefty. The marks aren't actually caused by the smart cover touching the aluminum back, but when I set it down on a surface. Here's what I mean:

[​IMG]

I might actually take it to the Apple store and see what they say. hmm..

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The magnets and hinges slide, that's always been the issue...Never heard of anybody getting a replacement but might be worth a shot...It's a no-brainer when you think about it, metal on metal = damage.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

When I still had my iPad 3rd gen, I put some tape near the hinges. That stuff got torn up pretty badly, and I was replacing it every week.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That was the only fix the threads here came up with. My advice? Don't use one. There are superior products around that won't damage your expensive devices.

11. Coldsnow thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to say but I have at least 5 other accessories but just don't find them as versatile as the smart cover, however, it is personal preference. I wish Apple had released the Smart case when I bought the iPad :( Goes to show how Apple is deaf not to have created the smart case when they should have!

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Maybe I am living on another planet, but according to the latest picture post from the OP, the Smart Cover isn't the problem! The problem is that the poster doesn't have a back skin or back case on... it's not Apple's problem, but user-caused. If you don't want abrasions on your iPad, get either of those or use the iPad on a soft surface- it's not rocket science unless I am missing something.

13. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Sorry OP, but I would have to agree with Myrtlebee. Of course it doesn't hurt to try asking Apple, but since the wear of the finish occurred on the opposite side of the hinges I would say it's operator error. It is frustrating I'm sure, especially since a piece of clear scotch tape along that edge would have prevented it.

14. wabbit42 macrumors regular

You may find these helpful. They will prevent the iPad from touching the table.

15. Coldsnow thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully I'm not the only one with a problem similar to mine. Anyone want to post pictures of their naked iPad 2? The reason I made this thread was to show off how much Apple's cheap aluminum marks with normal use.

16. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Nope, mine's clean. I've had it since december, and use a smart cover and a belkin snap back cover as well. And when I carry it around, it's in a "JUST air" bag, which is as padded as anything I've ever seen.

17. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Me too! But I had to cover it up to protect it's beauty, else it'd get scratched up in minutes =/

18. DKatri macrumors 6502

Sounds like you just need to be more careful with the surface that you are placing it down on. Taking it to Apple is kinda silly as its not their fault in any way. As someone else has already said, its user error. Sorry

19. Coldsnow, Jul 31, 2012

I already acknowledged that, I know it's my fault. Don't you agree that the Smart Case (released with the new iPad) is just Apple's safety net for iPad 2 owners who had these marks from their faulty smart covers? You would kinda think a multi-trillion dollar company can think of an accessory to protect the back as well as the front from initial release. Hmmm, now that pisses me off.

20. DKatri macrumors 6502

I agree that the smart case is kinda what the smart cover should have been. But; its not great. I don't have one but my friend ordered one with his new iPad, it feels like a low quality product, something that you'd expect to see from a knock off vendor on ebay. Thats why a lot of people are electing to use a smart cover with a 3rd party back cover.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

As most iPhone case users will tell you, cases aren't perfect either. In fact, you could get plenty of scratches from using a case, either from the material of the case itself, or from any dust or dirt at all that gets trapped between the device and case.

Just use the iPad. It's going to get nicks, dents and scratches with use.

22. Coldsnow, Jul 31, 2012

Agreed, it look's like a knockoff case. The smart cover is a smart idea but what about protecting the back? Apple should have followed magnet implementation to the iPad 2 case from the iPad 1 case. Goes to show how inconsistent they are.

Ugly! [​IMG]

23. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Because user abrasions will occur right underneath the Smart Cover hinge. I can totally see users regularly taking off their Smart Cover and rubbing that side of the iPad on the cement. Yep, that's what happened. :rolleyes:

And by buying a protective accessory, are you supposed to damage your iPad further? It's like using manufacturer-provided wax on your car, only to have it peel all the paint off. No, it was user error. You should have had screen protectors on your car.