Severe Slow Boot Times after Leopard Graphics Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skeen, Feb 11, 2008.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

After installing this, my Mac takes about 5 whole minutes to boot up, spending much of its time on the blue screen. The first couple of boot ups after I installed it, I did a hard-shutdown, just because I thought nothing was going to happen.

Additionally, boot up is very, very jerky. Is anyone else experiencing this? I almost don't want to turn my Mac off again!

2. dannyar macrumors 6502

i dont know if it was 10.5.2 or the gfx update but my imac is rebooted terribly slow as well. Pisses me off as it was under 30 seconds before today.

3. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

Try repairing permissions, then rebooting. After you've rebooted, check for runaway processes. Finally, check your system log for errors.

4. dannyar macrumors 6502

5. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i can't say that anything was really out of the ordinary, usually boot up takes a while after a big update, the next shutdown and bootup should be quick...

6. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeh it's not though. I'll try repairing permissions.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I had a couple slow boots, including the slow loading of Desktop and Dock, but it was gone on the very next boot.

Any time there are significant changes to system files, the hot file area will be out of sync for a while, and the system will load more slowly. Within 2.5 days of uptime and one boot, you should notice things improving. If not sooner.

8. derekaw macrumors newbie

The same issue

Hi, Im having the exact same issue as the OP. After about 5 mins I finally get the desktop, very frustrating.

9. cperez macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if its the graphics update or just 10.5.2 in general. It took me a good while just after 10.5.2 upgrade, still the same after the graphics update. Any help would be great - its pretty annoying!

10. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

11. lazydesi macrumors 6502

try MainMenu

clear all logs, do deep clean system and restart

u can notice the difference

12. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but that didn't help at all. My computer still takes 5 whole minutes to boot up, and this only happened after the graphics update. It's beyond ridiculous - I'm hoping never to turn my mac off ever again.

13. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Perhaps try booting in safe mode by holding Shift at the bong.

14. Sport77 macrumors newbie

Sometimes won't boot up at all!!

Hello Group-
    I'm new here and have this same problem. I have a 17" G4 1.33 Ghz Powerbook and updated to 10.5.2 with no ill effects.
    The day later I downloaded the Leopard Graphics update and all hell broke loose. Sometimes the screen won't even light up (waited 10 minutes once) after holding the power button down for restart (sometimes up to three times) it will boot up normally. It seems to be ok after getting the login window???
    Sport77

15. cperez macrumors newbie

Well - it seems like having a printer plugged in with a memory card reader may be the culprit.

I had run into this in Tiger days as well. In Tiger the long boot up time would happen before the little spinning wheel ever appeared - it was just the apple logo. It was so annoying that I was forced to open up my printer and disconnect the card reader from the printer's main board (not recommended! =)). That seemed to take care of the problem, but still my computer always booted slower than when the printer wasn't connected at all (or connected on Airport Extreme which seemed to solve the problem).

Anywho, the 10.5.2 update seemed to bring this back again... this time it went through the spinning wheel in an ok amount of time, but just got stuck on the blue screen - after minutes, it would let me log on. I thought the printer might be an issue, so I have unplugged it and voila. Boot up time is around 30-40 seconds again.

16. wexford macrumors member

i had slow bootup times after the 10.5.2 update, as well. including slow times for the dock to show, the menu bar to load, etc.

BUT, these issues have since gone away. i left the computer on for a few days straight and would reboot once a day, at least.

after a week, problem solved.

17. moreyc macrumors newbie

Slow Boot Up in Leopard 10.5.2

I have 2 Macs (IMAC and MacBook Pro) that I have updated with the .2 and the graphics update. The MacBook Pro is fine, the IMAC takes at least 5 minutes to boot now. The software is the same on both Macs. The only difference is that I have Time Machine running on the IMAC.

With all the people having problems, I hope the Mac folks come up with a quick fix.

18. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It does sound like there is a bug involved to cause a 5 minute boot. Are there any peripherals like memory card readers connected? Try unplugging everything except mouse & keyboard.

19. moreyc macrumors newbie

I have a Belkin powered USB hub with 4 USB devices. I unplugged the hub and rebooted. The IMAC started up quickly. Plugged the hub back in and had the original slow reboot. I will eventually check the individual devices (scanner, card reader Mac modem etc) and the powered hub itself.
    If I had to guess, there is more than one device out there that is causing this problem. Thanks for your help!
    Morey

20. MysterMac macrumors member

cant install Leopard Graphics Update

I cant even install this Leopard Graphics Update, in software update, its says it has downloaded, but when I try to install - it fails and says it cant verify it. After reading some of the problems listed here perhaps Im the lucky one ?
    Either way Im here looking for information about my problem, which I cant find. Anyone seen any references to the update failing verification ?

21. Sport77 macrumors newbie

Hopefully fixed

Hello all-
    I posted last week (see above post) and seem to have fixed at least my issue. I first, repaired permissions and optimized both files and ram with no effect. Still it took me three attempts each time I wanted to start the computer up (no screen at all). The first and second times I had to hard shutdown the powerbook to try again. Last night I downloaded and reinstalled the Leopard graphics update and am back to normal boot times, it even wakes up from sleep too.
    In my case, since I have a powerbook and being portable, many times external devices are never connected, so disconnecting devices wouldn't have solved my issues.
    Thanks for the help and Good Luck everybody.
    Sport 77

22. moreyc macrumors newbie

Fixed my Slow Boot on the IMac

In my case, the card reader connected through the powered USB hub caused the problem. I moved the connection to my one open USB port on the IMAC and the boot time went to less than 30 seconds.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Morey

23. mbelienkz macrumors newbie

Mine wont start at all, after updating to 10.5.2 and graphic update everything went well until I shutdown my machine. And now it just wont start, always stuck at the gray apple screen, I've been waiting for more than 30 minutes and nothing happens. Hard reset won't help either. I run 10.5.2 on 1.33 iBook and 512mb of RAM. Any clue?

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

25. mbelienkz macrumors newbie

Yes I have done the PRAM reset, up to 4 chimes, but still my iBook won't start. I tried to boot using verbose mode after resetting my PRAM and the last line said "mDNSResponder[16]: WARNING: sandbox_init error Cannot apply profile '(version 1)\n\n; WARNING: The sandbox rule...': Connection refused"

FYI, my iBook has no battery, I always run it with the power cord plugged in. Need help here guys. :confused: