SGP Carbon Backing

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bettz1, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Bettz1 macrumors regular

Attached Files:

2. SR Steve macrumors member

Looks just like my SGP Cube!

What does you camera cutout look like? Oval or teardrop shape?

3. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I have a Neo EX on mine so the space is not as pronounced. The SGP site does indeed say that they are cut smaller than the back of the iPhone.

[​IMG]

4. Bettz1 thread starter macrumors regular

Its a teardrop shape.The cutout for the camera doesn't seem to be big enough

5. SR Steve macrumors member

Same here... not only is the back too small but the camera hole obstructs the flash... :mad:

6. SR Steve macrumors member

From their website:

Q) Are the skin exactly fitted to the device?

A) No, we usually tailor our skins slightly smaller (about inch short all around), for easier application and better compatibility.

Q) Does the SGP Skin Guard Set have a flash issue?

A) No, we've lab tested all our different cut out types to come up with the best cut out that won't interfere with the flash.

The website pictures show a perfect fit and large cutout for the flash but they send you a shorty with a different-shaped cutout... :(

Attached Files:

7. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have had mine for over a month now, paired with a hybrid neo ex and it still looks perfect. No shrinking, no flash issues, no gaps. Mine is not a teardrop shaped cut out, it's oval. Love mine.

8. SR Steve macrumors member

Yeah, that's what I ordered.... but not what I received. I've sent SGP a request for a proper replacement. Let's see how they respond.

9. Bettz1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll see how you get on.I've already got a replacement sgp ultra crystal screen protector on the way as mine will not stay stuck down

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I got one by 3M off eBay for $5 and it's perfect, just like the SGP for what it's worth!

11. SR Steve macrumors member

Which vendor did you use?

12. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

I Would recommend against any of the SGP rear skins ( their shields are damn good though)

I've gotten two in the past and both are cut too damn small. even with a bumper there is still glass visible = tacky looking

google "carbon fiber bumper iphone 4" and just buy the rear 3m carbon fiber sheet, it fits perfectly ( no glass showing even without the bumper, and it doesnt lift when a bumper is applied)

13. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Well I am glad you said something, I have been wanting one of these back skins but maybe I will hold off for awhile.

14. glen e macrumors 68030

I have both the SGP leather and CF back and find them to work very well - they are cut a bit small but I like that, as they fit all the cases I have whereas others are too big. I can mix and match at will and change between the two weekly, for diff looks.

15. Bettz1 thread starter macrumors regular

Any luck from SGP??

16. SR Steve macrumors member

17. SR Steve macrumors member

How does your flash work with this?

18. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

no issues, but the cutout wasn't 100% centered so instead of two circles I connected them by cutting the material in the middle and making teardrop cutout that gave me a bit more wiggle room when applying the skin

19. Kid Red macrumors 65816

That's what I have. Tight fit. However, I have flash wash from photos. The fit is so tight and edge to edge that there isn't much I can do to move the circle around the flash area. I was going to take it off and use and x-acto knife to widen the cut out.

20. Kid Red macrumors 65816

That's why you have no issues. I do. But I will try your tear drop cut out idea tonight. Otherwise, I love the tight fit without a bumper used.

21. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

well I never had flash issues, it just didn't look pretty having the left side of the silver ring around the camera aperture being covered

by cutting the middle part out it allowed me to pull the skin more to the left so the entire ring is visible+ no flash issues

I don't own a camera but I'll get fancy with mirrors and see if I can show you my results

22. theiphone4, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

theiphone4 macrumors newbie

I did a "semi" review on a non sgp full body carbon wrap.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1059197

Cutouts were perfect, they say specifically that they don't do the two hole cutout for the camera and LED specifically to prevent the flash washout and bad fitting you guys are talking about. Great seller and service btw.

Some pics from my semi-review in the link above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] <----------single hole cutout for camera and led flash

23. SR Steve macrumors member

Cretouch agreed to send me a revised skin with the oval cutout but then sent the old style by mistake... :confused:

24. SR Steve macrumors member

LOL, now they want me to mail it back to them if I want them to send the correct one.