SGP GP 73 Screen Protectors

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kchkwan, Nov 27, 2011.

1. kchkwan macrumors member

2. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Hmm tempted to try it.

Seems interesting to say the least.

3. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Hmm the advertisement picture doesn't look crystal clear too me =]

tried googling for GP73 material cant find anything but biology stuff o.o

4. charlesdayton, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Twice as thick as their previous film!

I don't get the obsession with making screen protectors thicker. That just makes them bubble with cases and potentially the thicker they are the more loss in sensitivity.

And $24.99 for just a front shield is way overpriced. Their regular crystal is a much better value:

Crystal:
    Hardness=4H
    Price=$13.99 (front and back)

GP73
    Hardness=4~5H
    Price=$24.99 (front only)

5. kchkwan thread starter macrumors member

but is it worth a try?

well... it is expensive, but sgp products have a tendency to work pretty darn well, i'm kinda interested in giving it a shot. however, looking at the friggin price... i'm really not influenced that its worth...

it would be nice if someone baller enuff to try it first n review =p

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

7. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

From their description and comparing to the crystal, the only differences are:

It is twice as thick (a negative as it makes it less compatible with cases).

The hardness has been increased from 4H to 4~5H

8. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

it seems the sgp ultra crystal is perfect already, i don't see what improvement this could have over it.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Seriously, worth is always highly subjective. No one can tell you if it's worth it to you or not. You'd have to try it out to see for yourself.

Subjective. Not everyone uses a case. My case doesn't even come close to touching any of the screen protectors I've tried so far.

Are you unable to click the link above and read up?

10. Chrispy650 macrumors newbie

hmm interested to see a review on this. I mean the ultra crystal is nice already I wonder if this "new innovative material" will be worth it.

11. Macguy76, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

I just got mine today. I too felt like the price would be a little high! But after Taking it out of the package that resembled a Windows 7 package, I noticed that it did feel very thick as compared to other SGP screen shields I had before.

The install was easy just like the other SGP screen shields I had before, and I have had all of them. Clean screen of iPhone 4S, remove dust particles, peel away screen shield and line up and apply. What was different was that the shield was so thick that I actually had to use the included squeegee to apply pressure to make it stay. Other SGP screen shields seemed to go on easier. This has got to be the most precise screen that I have ever had. When I got it aligned correctly, it is a perfect fit!

Unlike the ultra crystal, it does not seem to attract finger prints and seems to wipe away easier!

According to the SGP site...
    "The Ultimate Class product uses an innovative new material called, GP73, GP73 provides superior touch and offers enhanced protection. It is the premium LCD protection film. Researched and developed in Japan, GP73 provides great material for LCD protectors through excellent surface hardness and outstanding light transmittance."

After having this on my iPhone 4S, I would have to agree with the above!

Lastly, I ordered mine on Sunday afternoon and it was $24.99.

Today I go back to SGP's site and the price has increased to $27.99!!

It's expensive, it only comes with one screen, but it seems to be the best screen shield I have ever had!

12. Macguy76, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

I will try to get some shots of the screen shield up shortly.

13. kchkwan thread starter macrumors member

sounds good from ur review, but I'm really curious how the sensitive is like for a ticker screen protector...
    waiting for ur pics!

14. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Waiting as well... interested would be an understatement. :D

15. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

Here are a couple of pics...

One last thing. With the addition of this screen shield, the home button is recessed due to the thickness of the screen.

Attached Files:

16. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Nice pics. Wish they include home button protectors. The plastic home button is easy to scratch!

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I don't see a need for even thicker screen protectors,

And that price is ridiculous.

18. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Thanks for the shots Macguy :)

I'm really really really wanting to get it now just to give it a whirl, the thing I fear is... well, try to follow this train of thought.

All screen protectors get scratched over long periods of time. Maybe throw your keys in your pocket by accident for example. This protector would have essentially more "depth" to show said scratches, which might make then seem bigger.... which would kick in my OCD and make me rage hard.

Idk, might just buy it for a test run.... who knows.

I'm not crazy.

19. Chrispy650 macrumors newbie

Damn I can see the thickness in those pics. How is the sensitivity? Still there or did it drop a little from the thickness?

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

screen protector looks too thick. that home button situation would bother me.

21. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

It is very thick! Almost too thick. But...Screen sensitivity is surprisingly good! The surface feels smoother than glass! The home button does bother me a bit as I am unable to easily clean it as it is exposed and still gets fingerprints.

I showed it to my wife and she liked it so much that I ordered another one for her White iPhone 4S!

This new material is great, I just wish it was not twice as thick as some of the other screens.

I used it all today and I noticed that there were not many smudges on the screen as I used it normally throughout the day. Finger prints are possible, but not nearly as easily as without one.

22. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I still don't get why they made it so thick. There is no benefit.

23. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

I would totally agree with that, I don't understand why this thing had to be so thick either? I really wish that they could get the thickness down to around their normal screen thickness. Outside of that I still have to see it it's a great screen cover!

24. ShadowLinkx macrumors newbie

I am very tempted to purchase this screen protector because I just got an iPhone 4s and I want to keep the screen, free of anything but here's my question, does it keep the retina display? Because it's so thick is there lower screen quality or a rainbow effect?

25. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

If you want a really invisible screen protector go for the SGP Oleo or Crystal or the PS Crystal. Much better price and they are completely invincible. The only difference of this G73 seems to be the exaggerate thickness and a little increase in hardness.