Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
I am very tempted to purchase this screen protector because I just got an iPhone 4s and I want to keep the screen, free of anything but here's my question, does it keep the retina display? Because it's so thick is there lower screen quality or a rainbow effect?

The retina display is indeed intact as there is no rainbow effect whatsoever. I can notice the thickness on my black 4S, but it seems to not be as noticeable on my wife's white 4S. I would assume that due to the white optical edges, it makes the screen disappear. Also the material that it is made of seems to resist scratches and fingerprint s more than the SGP Ultra Optics, and much better than the Ultra Crystal.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Would you say then you prefer this to the Ultra Optics?

benjones

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Macguy76 could you possibly post some pictures face on with your screen switched on?

Also has it got any visible texture like the anti-glare protectors and does it still resist finger prints now that you've been using it for a while?

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Would you say then you prefer this to the Ultra Optics?

I would definitely take it over the ultra optics!

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
Macguy76 could you possibly post some pictures face on with your screen switched on?

Also has it got any visible texture like the anti-glare protectors and does it still resist finger prints now that you've been using it for a while?

I'll post some more pics a little later.

The screen does not have any visible texture. It is completely smooth and does great with normal fingerprints. I really like it!

Now the problem is that SGP does not seem to have them back in stock as of last night. I need to order another one as my iPhone got switched out at the genius bar this weekend for another.

I am using an SGP Oleophobic till the Ultimate gets back in stock.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010

Macguy76
"Now the problem is that SGP does not seem to have them back in stock as of last night. I need to order another one as my iPhone got switched out at the genius bar this weekend for another."

You may want to check eBay.
I purchased one from Korea and its on the way to me.

benjones

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
So would you say it has some sort of coating on like the oleophobic to help reduce fingerprints or is it the actual material?

Also does it reduce glare or is it a mirror finish like other crystal protectors?

Sorry for all the questions but there's hardly any info about this protector and I'm very close to ordering it!

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
I'll post some more pics a little later.

The screen does not have any visible texture. It is completely smooth and does great with normal fingerprints. I really like it!

Now the problem is that SGP does not seem to have them back in stock as of last night. I need to order another one as my iPhone got switched out at the genius bar this weekend for another.

I am using an SGP Oleophobic till the Ultimate gets back in stock.

What's bad about the SGP Oleophobic?

benjones

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
The oleophobic loses its coating within a few weeks.

EDIT: I found a review here: http://melapolis.com/pellicola-sgp-ultimate-class-gp73-per-iphone-4s-10355

With this interesting observation:

Perfect viewing experience thanks to the high transparency of the film that allows you to enjoy the features of the Retinal Display, while the phenomenon is the accumulation of very low footprints and fingerprints, as if it were a real oleophobic

Think I'm sold.

Last edited:

benjones

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Yeah I have it on my 4 right now. I've had it for about a year. Was great at first and then went through a stage of being a pain in the bum where fingerprints were a nightmare to wipe off.

Then after a few more weeks once the oleophobic coating had completely worn off it was fine, just like any other crystal protector. I just have a few small hairline scratches on it though hence looking into this new protector.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Yeah I have it on my 4 right now. I've had it for about a year. Was great at first and then went through a stage of being a pain in the bum where fingerprints were a nightmare to wipe off.

Then after a few more weeks once the oleophobic coating had completely worn off it was fine, just like any other crystal protector. I just have a few small hairline scratches on it though hence looking into this new protector.

Fair enough. Was it hard to clean even with a cleaning solution like iKlear?

espiritujo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
columbia, sc
SGP Ultra Optics or Ultra Crystal all the way! I will never change screen protectors unless I have to replace them with a new one but I will probably just buy Ultra Optics and Crystal's every time;)

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Just bought one from Amazon. This is hands down the best screen I've ever used, and I've tried BSE, Zagg, powersupport. It is a little thicker, but barely noticeable. My Apple bumper fits just fine. The screen resists fingerprints better than all the other shields and it is crystal clear. It feels like a brand new phone to me. Haven't used this long enough to determine whether it will scratch. But overall it is definitely worth the price.

BBConvert

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Review

I am new to iPhone as my name suggests. After lurking the past few weeks I decided to bite the bullet and pony up for the Ultimate Class protector for fear of not being able to apply Glass.t perfectly. The good news is that I was successful putting it on the first try last night and it is very clear - almost imperceptible from a clarity standpoint. Now for the downside...although it is pretty smooth and not very grabby, it definitely feels like plastic. Not terrible, just know it's going to feel different from the glass screen. Also, I have an Impact Band bumper case and the Ultimate Class is pushing up on all 4 sides with this. Lastly, because it is plastic and presumably has a static charge, it collects dust like nobody's business. I carry it in my pocket and it is like a dust magnet. With a case that extends beyond the face, it makes it very hard to wipe off. Rather, I just seem to shove it into the crack. Not sure if this is unique to this screen protector or if it is universal. Overall, I would not spend the money again. I think I would take my chances with Glass.t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.