SGP iPhone Accessories (Do Not Buy)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by KrazyKarlos, Aug 24, 2010.

1. KrazyKarlos macrumors newbie

Normally I do not post threads like this, especially shortly after joining a forum however I wanted to share my experience with SGPStore.

I regularly read and view on the forums and in the interim while waiting for PowerSupport to release their iPhone 4 screen protectors I saw people recommending the alternative of SGP, so I gave them a shot.

Well, I received the front and back covers for the SGP Skin Guard Carbon Black Set Package for Apple iPhone 4 (Included Steinheil Ultra Crystal Screen Protector). I thought it was odd that the front protector covered the front camera, and on the back it was a triangle shape, versus the oval, but I applied them anyways, as their YouTube video showed the same as what I received, but the graphics on the website were different.

Well obviously there are problems with the flash and the camera on the front as designed. I contacted SGP for a warranty replacement and provided them with all the information they requested, including pictures of the item which was sent.

The ultimate decision of their customer service was that I needed to return the item per their return policy (for a non-defective item) in original condition (this is impossible as the product was applied to the phone) and they would charge me a restocking fee, as well as I am responsible for paying for the shipping. Also they would make the decision upon receipt of the product whether to send me a warranty replacement or not.

They produced a defective product which does not function properly and refuse to honor their own return policy listed on the website. I would avoid this company unless you think you can avoid dealing with their customer service and are 100% sure you will be satisfied with the product you receive.

I will be purchasing only from PowerSupport from now on and I would suggest everyone else do the same. It may have been a longer wait for them to get a product to us, but at least they make sure they sell us quality, not crap (like SGP).

Regards,
    Karl

2. chanerz macrumors 6502a

3. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I love SGP and never had a problem with them. You should not of put it on if you knew it was not what you wanted.

4. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

The front-facing camera is fine with the screen protector covering it. That camera takes grainy photos to begin with and even when there is a screen protector over it, the photos aren't any more grainy than before (IMO).

5. KrazyKarlos thread starter macrumors newbie

The purchase was made before they updated the website with the new design to fix the inherent flaw in their design and manufacturing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtMBAMY6ClU&feature=player_embedded (July 2010)

Is different than

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_28_89/products_id/1472
    (Current)

So they fixed the problem, and are manufacturing the proper way now, but are not willing to correct the problem facing already produced products.

So based on your idiotic logic, what if Apple redesigned the antenna to fix the problem with the iPhone 4 next month, and refused to replace/repair/free bumper your existing iPhone 4. I'm pretty sure everyone would be pretty upset over that. This is basically what SGP has done to anyone who purchased early.

Regards,
    Karl

6. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I will say I do like SGP products. Mine is sportin the OLE and I really like it. I also received their ultra crystal and have a carbon and wood back coming soon.

Granted I never had to deal with CS so...that could change but the product itself has not given me any issues.

7. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I bought the same backing applied it. I knew what I was doing and liked the design better. Its not their fault. Sorry

8. falconeight Guest

falconeight

SGP is a good company just because you have a problem doesn't make them a bad company.

9. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

the SGP protectors suck imo.

All 4 i have used havent stuck down properly.

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Nah, thats just user error, dont blame them. You just dont know what you're doing.

11. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

I've had 2 problems in the past with SGP. They are slow to respond to emails but they have always resolved to my satisfaction.

JMTCW

12. meechy macrumors 6502

LOL, any company that COMPLETELY ignores customer emails after they have sent the item out, in my eyes and im sure a lot of others too, makes them a bad company.

Not to mention the policy they have, in which if the items get lost in post, they will not do anything about it and tell you to contact the police and deal with it yourself.

13. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

rubbish.

ive installed about 30-40 different protectors for my 3GS with no problems, albeit there have been a few that havent wanted to stick around the home/speaker.

Always made sure the 4 screen was clear of any dust/dirt, even using strong light.

They are just hit and miss. some may work, some dont.

14. JohnnyHorror macrumors newbie

and just because you had a good experience with them doesnt make them a good company

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

SGP refunded me for the same film issue without my returning/proving anything.

I don't get the customers service issues they create ... it's bad business.

16. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

That was a very rude and childish comment to make. The post was meant to be likened to the fact that companies have been known to use MacRumors to advertise their products.

17. KandyKane macrumors 6502

They are shocking for completely ignoring emails. I had an issue I was constantly emailing them about. Eventually got a refund. Then I stupidly ordered from them again, it never showed up, they kept ignoring my emails, so did a paypal claim, which was refunded in 48 hours.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have always bought SGP products and they have always been 100%

Currently I have the oleophobic front screen protector without the front camera cutout and have zero issue with the quality of the camera.

I have the ultra matte rear protector and it comes with a key hole cutout and it has zero issue with the flash.

Never had any issue on my 3G and iP4 when it comes to applying the protectors they stick well and I cant even tell there is something on the screen.

These are all my personal experiences, I have never had to deal with their customer service.

19. sportster macrumors 6502

I had an issue with SGP customer serves too. I ordered the black carbon skin and it came with the screen protector. Had an issue with the screen protector, contacted them and after all the run around it would have cost about the same as a whole new set with their return/exchange.... needless to say, I am not using a screen protector now. I guess business is so good for them that they feel that they do not need to take care of their customers. It's a shame, because I like their screen protector more than the ZAGG I had on my 3Gs.

20. Zildjian242 macrumors member

This was a pretty interesting read. Im currently using the Matte back with the old teardrop cut and have zero issues. On the front im using the crystal clear and thats fine for now

I would not hesitate to buy from SGP again

21. BadMoon macrumors 6502

I love mine. I currently on have the back protector on. I also installed a screen protector on a friends Droid and it it's perfect. I will certainly buy from them again. Although I haven't needed to contact their customer service. So I can't speak on that. However, most company's service sucks this day and age.

22. glen e macrumors 68030

Bought a ton of stuff from SGP, no problems whatsoever. Nice quality.

23. nelly41 macrumors regular

Scree the emails and talk to them directly. I find it always more easier when speaking to someone directly.

(213) 252-8132

24. nd4speed macrumors member

No issues here. 3 shipments so far with prompt tracking information and delivery. Happy with the products as well.