SGP Oleophobic vs Anti Fingerprint

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MKang25, Jul 8, 2010.

1. MKang25 macrumors regular

What is the difference between the Oleophobic and the Anti Fingerprint? Are they both dry/static applications? Does the Oleophobic have the cut out for the front camera and which one has the better screen clarity?

Thanks in advance

2. California King macrumors 65816

I believe the biggest difference is that the anti-fingerprint is matte and the other one is glossy.

From this video, no, there is no cut-out for the front camera, but it doesn't seem to be an issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFCXxAFr8I

3. outphase macrumors 65816

That's the Ultra Crystal and not the Ultra Oleophobic one.

4. California King macrumors 65816

What's the difference between the two?

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The anti-fingerprint has a similar surface to a matte display and the oleophobic has a similar surface to a glossy display. The latter is more comfortable to use and looks better in my opinion.

6. outphase macrumors 65816

Sure, except for the fact that the crystal isn't oleophobic.

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

So is the oleophobic basically clear AND it resists fingerprints or does it still show fingerprints but they're just easier to wipe them of?

8. truciet macrumors 6502

Yup. Best choice right now IMO

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Wait. So which is it? Does it resist fingerprints or does it show them but they're easy to wipe off?

And it's clear?

10. truciet macrumors 6502

It's crystal clear and it has the coat to resist oil and fingerprints. Basically it will be the exact same as a naked iPhone 3GS/4 screen.

The matte finish will always be "best" but it will ruin the display due to the fuzzyness of the display due to the matte finish.

11. eyespii macrumors 6502

so what's the draw of the ultra clear, if the oleophobic is also clear but has added oleophobic coating? is the "ultra clear" somehow clearer than the oleophobic?

sorry if taht question makes no sense.

12. robotphood macrumors 6502a

That's what I was thinking. The oleophobic one must not have the exact same clarity otherwise they wouldn't bother offering an ultra clear. Hopefully someone or a site reviews both at the same time. I would do it if I didn't already spend so much on skins and cases the last 2 weeks. My ultra clear is coming in with the leather skin guard. Will just have to live with wiping smudges for now :p

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

It sounds to me like the oleophobic might be the perfect balance between the ultra clear and an anti-fingerprint/anti-glare. I would assume that while it's not as clear as the ultra, it's probably more clear than the AF/AG yet probably doesn't quite repel fingerprints as well as the AF/AG either. Oleophobic to me has always meant that it's just easier to clean the oil/fingerprints off (at least that's how it appears to be based on the iphone's glass) while an anti-fingerprint doesn't need to be wiped nearly as often. What sucks is that the best way to know for sure is to try it for yourself, and that gets expensive. Hopefully everyone can post reviews as they receive their shields so others can make better decisions about what to buy.

14. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, they don't offer a full-body Anti-Fingerprint, so for me the choice was easy - Ultra Clear.

15. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Does anyone know if the oleophobic has a cutout for the front camera? If not, that's a dealbreaker for me anyway.

16. kicks macrumors newbie

According to iLounge, the Ultra Clear is slightly thicker than the Oleophobic. I'm guessing to provide a little more protection while still being extremely clear. The Oleophobic is supposedly clearer (though I can't tell comparing them side-by-side) while offering the oil resistance of a naked screen.

Personally, I purchased the matte Invisible Shield which came with the Ultra Clear, and I'm extremely happy with the clarity and feel. It also has no effect on the front camera despite not having a cutout.

After seeing the Oleophobic in person I'm definitely going to purchase it because it looked and felt just as good.

17. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Meh, if they'd offered the Oleophobic in a full-body (front and back) version I'd probably have bought that instead. I don't think it's a big deal either way. The clear films are still easy to wipe away fingerprints, which is what the coating on the iPhone's glass does. Do the Oleophobic ones actually repel fingerprints?

18. cmascatello macrumors member

I have found that the Ultra Crystal version of the SGP films has the most glass-like feel of any protector I have tried over the past 4 years. I would assume that the thickness of the film plus the "4H" hardness that they are touting keeps it from feeling like plastic overlay. I actually find the material to be better than even the Power Support clear. The design and execution, that is another story...

19. kicks macrumors newbie

Not as much as the AF screen... They just wipe off pretty easy.

20. Evolesque macrumors member

Just wanted to chime in. I have the oleophobic sgp and I do notice it is easier to wipe off. Like the other forum posters have said, the oleophobic just makes the grease stick less to the screen. The clarity is good and in my opinion the same as the power support one on my 3GS. I wasn't that picky with that issue to begin with though. I think the best part about these was the ones I got had a very good fit on my screen. The cut outs for the home button and the speaker are almost perfect. Also like the power support ones, they are very thick. There is less problems with cases causing the edges of the protector from bubbling up. I had this problem with some other protectors I had. I'm using a griffin reveal and a belkin grip vue FYI.

P.S. I don't see any adverse optical effects on the front camera even though there is no cut out for it. I also did run into a issue where the protector bubbled up a bit by the speaker. This went away on it's own oddly enough.

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I thought there was a cutout for the front camera. Don't the new ones have a cutout?

22. eyespii macrumors 6502

Do you happen to have a Close-up or macro shot of the iPhone screen on with the protector on?

23. a0911091837 macrumors member

Totally agree with you. Might be the best screen protector available in the market until the PowerSupport become available. :apple:

Bought 2 more set for my friends from this eBay seller, Might be useful for people in UK, hope this help :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SGP-STEINHEIL-ULTRA-OLEOPHOBIC-Anti-oil-film-iPhone-4-/180528769162?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item2a085a688a