Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
So my SGP Oleophobic arrived today. After spending a while with it and trying to keep my area as dust free as possible, I just can't seem to do it right. Either I mess the home button lining up or the top lining. So I've decided to give a wet install a whirl. Only problem is, I have NO clue how to do it.

Ive searched googled for wet installs of this protector, so far no results. Anyone have a simple step by step they could give me? Like what mixture of solution to use, how much to put on, and if I should re-clean the protector by hand since there's some dust up under there now.

Or a video link would be good too. :) Thanks in advance!

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
So my SGP Oleophobic arrived today. After spending a while with it and trying to keep my area as dust free as possible, I just can't seem to do it right. Either I mess the home button lining up or the top lining. So I've decided to give a wet install a whirl. Only problem is, I have NO clue how to do it.

Ive searched googled for wet installs of this protector, so far no results. Anyone have a simple step by step they could give me? Like what mixture of solution to use, how much to put on, and if I should re-clean the protector by hand since there's some dust up under there now.

Or a video link would be good too. :) Thanks in advance!

Get a bowl and fill it with water, then put 2-4 drops of dish soap in there and stir the water till it's mixed, then thoroughly wash your hands good. Clean off the iPhone with a microfiber cloth also. If you want, you can steam up your bathroom via a shower and that will help keep the dust away from touching or landing on your iPhone. Finally, take the SGP and immerse it in the soapy water solution quickly and then apply it to phone (make sure that water isn't dripping off because you don't need a whole lot of water) Hope this helps you! :)

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Get a bowl and fill it with water, then put 2-4 drops of dish soap in there and stir the water till it's mixed, then thoroughly wash your hands good. Clean off the iPhone with a microfiber cloth also. If you want, you can steam up your bathroom via a shower and that will help keep the dust away from touching or landing on your iPhone. Hope this helps you! :)

So I dip the screen protector in this water solution then apply it? And will just plain old softsoft antibacterial soap do? My dish soap has bleaches in it, don't want that.

Got the hot shower running as we speak.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
So I dip the screen protector in this water solution then apply it? And will just plain old softsoft antibacterial soap do? My dish soap has bleaches in it, don't want that.

Got the hot shower running as we speak.

Yes, if it's the pump kind of antibacterial you don't want to go overboard, maybe not even 1 squirt?

RichBrewski

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Not too steamy with the bathroom, either. Just enough to absorb the particulate in the air.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Yes, if it's the pump kind of antibacterial you don't want to go overboard, maybe not even 1 squirt?

Yeah it is, so I'll only do a little pump of it.

So after it's on I squeege the solution away towards the edges and wipe up excess with the paper towel? And I'm assuming I let this sit over night to dry.

Not too steamy with the bathroom, either. Just enough to absorb the particulate in the air.

Gotcha.

RichBrewski

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Yeah it is, so I'll only do a little pump of it.

So after it's on I squeege the solution away towards the edges and wipe up excess with the paper towel? And I'm assuming I let this sit over night to dry.

Gotcha.

Put the paper towel up against the edge while you are squeegeeing (weird word). And let it sit for app. 12 hours, although, I would prefer a day or two just because I'm paranoid like that.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Post back on how it went!

Well everything is lined up perfectly. It looks fantastic in that aspect. The only thing is that no matter how much I squeege there's still slight spotting under the film and there seems to be a rainbow effect on the protector (which Im assuming is just from the moisture under the surface)

Should I be getting these bubbles/spots out before it drys? Or is it one of those things that will look 10x's better when I wake up in the morning? :)

Thanks again!

RichBrewski

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Well everything is lined up perfectly. It looks fantastic in that aspect. The only thing is that no matter how much I squeege there's still slight spotting under the film and there seems to be a rainbow effect on the protector (which Im assuming is just from the moisture under the surface)

Should I be getting these bubbles/spots out before it drys? Or is it one of those things that will look 10x's better when I wake up in the morning? :)

Thanks again!

Is the spotting a bubble? If so, it might be dust... You'll have to lift up the protector slightly and use some scotch tape to get it off.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks again!

Get as many out as you can, concentrating on the bigger obtrusive ones. Typically the really tiny ones dry, but sometimes if I keep workin on it I can get them all out!

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Got all the bubbles out and it looks FANTASTIC! The only thing is the rainbowing under the surface but like I said I'm thinking it's the moisture and it'll dry up in a couple days.

ichiban06

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I spent 10 mins trying to do a dry install but gave up in the end. then I sprayed it a few times, placed it on the phone and slid it to align it properly which only took 1 min then began to squeegee the water out. Job done :D

I just hope the random marks will disappear after a day or two.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
I just did a dry install and it took all but 1min to install and another 1min to get the bubbles out. Looks great! Easy install, just patience and confidence :p Although the actual protector feels a bit "tacky" at this time. Its 100% better than my IS I've had on there since day 1. So much clearer and brilliant the screen is. Its like I put on a new Rx pair of glasses.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 172

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I hate to say it but I've had my Ultra Oleophobic on for maybe 3 weeks or now and it's really becoming more of a fingerprint magnet every day. To make matters even worse, it's getting harder and harder to clean them off too (they just kind of smear around). I don't want to do it but I think I'm going to have to try one of my PS Anti-Glares. I know it's going to kill the retina display but these fingerprints are doing a pretty good job of that already. If I hate it I can always take it off but these fingerprints and smudges are driving me crazy:mad:.

musicismycallin

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
I hate to say it but I've had my Ultra Oleophobic on for maybe 3 weeks or now and it's really becoming more of a fingerprint magnet every day. To make matters even worse, it's getting harder and harder to clean them off too (they just kind of smear around). I don't want to do it but I think I'm going to have to try one of my PS Anti-Glares. I know it's going to kill the retina display but these fingerprints are doing a pretty good job of that already. If I hate it I can always take it off but these fingerprints and smudges are driving me crazy:mad:.

I have a PS Anti-glare on mine, and honestly, the loss of clarity was hardly an issue, and now I'm just used to it. It didn't really take away from the retina at all for me. I even took it off and put a Invisible Shield on it. I went back to the PS because I just couldn't take the finger prints anymore...

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010

use meguiars nxt 2.0 wax

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/985995/

its the best of both worlds

i couldn't stand the loss of clarity + sparkles with the anti glare shields

give it a shot you'll love it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.