SGP Steinheil vs. PowerSupport . - HELP !

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ecksteinJ, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ecksteinJ macrumors newbie

If you know about SGP Steinheil & PowerSupport iPhone 4 screen protectors PLEASE help me out. I'm debating on getting the Anti - Glare screen shield which also "resists" fingerprints from PS, or the Ultra Fine Anti - Fingerprint from SGP. Everywhere I look, some people say PS is better, but but has a negative effect on the Retina Display. I know all the screen shields with the matte finish will take a little bit away from the screen, but I dunno how much. Heard the same about SGP too, pretty much eliminates fingerprints, but takes more from display. If anyone has had experience with one or both, that'd be helpful.

I know this is my first post, I've looked at threads on this site a few times for help & just now signed up. Thanks in advance.

2. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I dont have either but I have a different brand anti fingerprint matte screen, yea the screen quality suffers but its not as bad as it seems. Glare > screen quality. to me the screen quality probably went for a 10/10 to a 8/10 its not that bad

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I had PowerSupport with the 3GS, best protection screen ever. Very satisfied.

4. ecksteinJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it a matte finish, and like slick enough to slide. Do you know what I mean? I'm pretty sure it's a matte finish, but NOWHERE says it is.

5. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I use PS on my iPad and iPhone, best protectors I've ever had.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't quite remember. I did get the Anti-Glare with fingerprint resistant coating (oleo-phobic) one. I have to say the coating worked for 8 months before I started seeing any kind of degradation of the coating. I was *very* surprised and pleased.

As far as the anti-glare. It did it's job very well. I think, it created a matte feeling to the iPhone. I really enjoyed it.

BTW, I'm getting PowerSupport once again next week for my iPhone 4. The Incase Apple gave me has shattered on one corner. Bummer.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Power Support has the best quality screen protectors on the market. Everything else is sub-par.

8. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I have a SGP Ultra Oleophobic on my iPhone 4, crystal clear and not the anti-fingerprint one. Definitely like it for the hi-res display. I have a 3GS with the Powersupport Anti-glare protector on it and it works well for the normal res display but imo it would look horrible on the iPhone 4.

I can say the SGP shield is a little thinner than the power support but both resist scratches very well.

SGP Ultra Oleophobic:
    [​IMG]

Power Support Anti-glare:
    [​IMG]

9. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

How precise is PowerSupport's cut?

SGP for example is very, very accurate and they also make it a big narrower so when you put on any case it does not lift up and cause edge bubbles.

10. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

try the sgp ultra optics screen shield its new and seems pretty good other than that do the power support

11. Pared macrumors 65816

Not at all.

In fact, the SGP protectors for the 3G and 3GS were better.

The SGP Oleo is going to be "best of both worlds" offering better screen clarity than the PS Anti-Glare. The SGP Oleo does take on minor scratches however.

If you don't mind the quality loss - go with the PS Anti. If you DO mind and can live with MINOR finger print smudges, go with the SGP Oleo.

Both are solid options - it's just a matter of what you value more.

12. calvy macrumors 65816

All anti glares are crap to me. Why would i want to add a haze to the display?

13. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

stop spending so much on screen protectors guys and just get em from monoprice, I have tried all the ones and more that you guys have used. They are not worth the $15 more you pay for the $0.90 for the monoprice ones...

14. epphllps macrumors 6502

Just ordered a few to try from monoprice. Thanks for the tip.

15. k3roro macrumors 6502

I had the PowerSupport Anti-Glare HD on my iPhone 4 for a while, I could not get over how good it was at resisting fingerprints. I did not notice it's effect on the resolution of the screen until one day, I got a Speck screenshield put on in order to not have the bubble effect with Incase Slider. The screen looks a clearer but am now attracting fingerprints.

I think you'd actually have to try it out in order to see if you like the effect on your retina display.

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

As anti-fingerprint shields go...I have tried them all. Yes, ALL.

Right now, I think the ultra-fine is the best overall AF protection as it creates the least amount of AF distortion.

The only issue with this protector is the adhesive is a bit stronger making the application and air bubble removal more tedious.

BTW ... the ultra fine is available for ipad as well. I have it on both devices.

BTW2...the cheapos I have tried have turned out to be just that CHEAP. Easily scratched, or too distorted.

17. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I've tried cheapo ebay ones but Steinheil is better,

The cut is very precise, ebay ones are hit and miss.
    The cut is also a bit narrower to fit cases without bubbling up
    The adhesion is much stronger, I could distinctly feel it when applying it.

18. mike1111 macrumors member

So what didn't you like about the Ultra Opticals from SGP? So far I only heard good things about them.

19. PDE macrumors 68020

I just received my ultra optics a few hours ago and applied it immediately. I've tried many different kinds over the years, both anti-reflective ones and clear. The best has clear versions has been power support, but their matte one ruins the sharpness of the display and makes everything look blurry. I hated it.

My thoughts on this one:

- No fingerprints stay on this thing under normal use. A small miracle.

- the material is super smooth and easy to drag my fingers on.

- There is a funny squeak sound when you move your finger on it. I'd say that in a completely silent room it would be distracting, but with any ambient noise it's barely audible unless you put it close to your face/ears. I can see that some people might be bothered by this, but the fact that no fingerprints are visible more than makes up for it to me.

- Display quality is only slightly affected. If I look closely i can see a very light weave-like pattern of the material, but I need to put it close up to my face to see that and even then I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't notice it. Under any normal circumstances I would not notice it at all.

-I applied it without any hassle, but the area around the camera is not adhering to the glass properly. There is a slight lifting going on. It's very slight, but I would of course prefer if it didn't happen.

Hope this helps.

20. mike1111 macrumors member

So would you recommend it? Sounds like the best anti-fingerprint screen protector out there. Does it have any anti-glare properties? Better/worse than a Powersupport crystal clear protector in terms of glare?

21. Shareen macrumors newbie

I say go for the SGP. From my experience, SGP is better than PowerSupport.
    The installation is easier, the things it comes with like microfiber cloth etc etc.

22. PDE, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

PDE macrumors 68020

I would definitely recommend it as a very good compromise given other alternatives available today. If you want the best transparency and clarity, power support crystal is better, but if you want something that really resists fingerprints (it's great in this regard) with only very slight deterioration in image quality, I can't see how you wouldn't be satisfied with the sgp ultra optics.

It's probably slightly better than the powersupport in terms of glare, but it is definitely not a matte surface so there will be glare.

UPDATE: I've been using it today in the sun and wanted to update. Basically it does have some kind of anti glare property -- it makes the display a little 'milky' in bright light, i.e. reduces contrast and looks a little like it is covered with a thin and very transparent layer of whitish film. That might make it sound worse than it actually is, but there is definitely a different effect from PS crystal film and any other clear films. It's also different from matte films. I don't like it very much, but I prefer an even milky look than a screen covered in smudges and fingerprints. Still recommended, with the caveat that like all protective films there will be trade-offs. It's just a matter of choosing which ones you want to make.