Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boldman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
I see where SGP Stores has finally offered a glimpse of the new SGP Stehen leather case for the iPad 2. It can be found on their website under the coming soon category. There doesn't seem to be a price at this time and the lack of more photos makes it difficult to decide on how it compares th the Vaja. I guess we will have to wait a bit longer.

swishbrade

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
My guess is $65 to $75. The sued is being $75.

I think I've found my case. SGP says will be available beginning of June.

Same here. I think it's quite suitable for me too and will place an order right after yours!!:p

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
Oooh, that looks fantastic! Just got the STM Skinny and like it a lot, but will definitely think about adding this one to my wish list!

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Looks like what I need...but it doesn't seem to lay nice'n'flat when folded back as it has some overhang :( Add that to the fact that they admit up front that it can't be folded back perfectly without tripping the sleep/wake :(:(

vintagebrown-10.jpg

pbrogrom

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
Can't decide between vintage and black.....

I've had their vintage case for my iphone and I could say the more I use it the leather case made it look more "vintage" due to the rub and wear from usage. :) It seems like it has a price diff of $3 but I think it will be a good investment for your ipad. I'm considering to buy one for my dad for father's day.

http://cretouch.com/stehen-series-c-221_222_230.html

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
Yeah, I ordered the vintage. I got it for $84 after cashback and Ebay bucks. Little savings but savings is savings :) I cannot believe I spent this much for a case :)

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Has anyone received their SGP iPad 2 Leather Stehen case yet? I am really interested in seeing reviews.

I have the vintage. On the 2nd day of using it I fine the cover to be kind of flimsy and it doesn't really want to stay in a stand position all the time.
The material is fantastic and the case is very snug. Holding it with one hand isn't a problem at all and it's still low profile. My only complaint is the cover. Not what I really wanted. I have a vintage iPhone case from Sgp and the way it got worn in is amazing.
I'm coming from a treegloo which is heavier, thicker and has an issue with the magnetic lock to lock the iPad. And most recent, the iPad doesn't seem as snug in that case any more.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I also got the SGP Stehen in Dante Red this week.

The case is a joke!

Cover is extremely flimsy and also badly attached to the back which means it can sway to the top and bottom of the iPad exposing the screen when closed, and triggering the magnets randomly.

While the case is generally thin, the area where the cover fastens to the back case gets pretty thick, even though the rest of the case is thin.

The case also has a ridge around the screen which makes it less comfortable to hold.

The magnets don't work at all well because they switch off the screen when folded back, and randomly trigger the screen when the cover is closed because the cover is so loosely attached.

Quality generally feels cheap to me. You would be better off with the Chinao Vaja clone than this junk.

I am trying the Melkco next which appears to be better constructed.

As context - I have been using the $100 premium leather version of the Maroo Kumara II case. This is a high quality product but is a bit thick.

I am trying to find a thinner case, and have gone through the following:

1) Vaja Libretto (sent back because cover doesn't cover screen, case is also a bit thick - in fact thicker than Maroo at the point the cover attaches to the back cover, the magnets don't hold the cover shut at all, the ridge around the screen is uncomfortable, and the cover is also able to move in 4 directions instead of just 2 (i.e. it is badly attached to the case).

2) SGP Stehen (See above)

3) Chinao Vaja Clone (better than Vaja and SGP imo, but sent back because I didn't like the finish, and I wanted something with a flap that holds shut).

Of all the ones tested so far, the Maroo Fine Leather case is still my favorite by a very large margin.

Last edited:

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Have you thought about removing the cover? I have at a few times. Or of some how strengthening the flimsy part of it.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Have you thought about removing the cover? I have at a few times. Or of some how strengthening the flimsy part of it.

Why would I remove the cover? if I wAnted a back cover I would have bought a back cover.

And I don't see why i should modify a case with so many flaws when I can just buy a better one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.