SGP sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hNicolas, Jul 26, 2009.

1. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

I bought the SGP ultrathin plus black iPhone case, within two months of very light use it started to crack at the edges. Eventually, chunks of the stuff fell off. I have sent many emails to the company and have never received a reply.

I love the sleek look and it is very comfortable to handle. I am now using the Reveal case and although it is pretty good, the SGP was a lot more comfortable to use. But I don't want to spend another penny at SGP, if they at least acknowledged my emails, I may have considered dealing with them again.

Does anyone know of a comparable case to the SGP Ultrathin?

Has anyone had luck with SGP's customer service?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

strange

I wanna like SGP but it's getting harder and harder I tried to contact them a couple times with problems but possible sales nothing not a word. if you want to just use a email contact that's fine but at least respond to a damn email. I thought I be smart and pull up a whois on there website and maybe get info that way. the phone number listed is the host site.

Domain Name: SGPSTORE.COM

Created on..............: 2008-02-13 03:32:32 GMT
    Expires on..............: 2010-03-03 05:16:50 GMT
    Last modified on........: 2009-03-04 13:04:12 GMT

Registrant Info: (FAST-12785295)
    Attn: sgpstore.com
    HostMonster.com INC
    1958 South 950 East
    HOST UNLIMITED DOMAINS *FREE*
    Hosting Accounts starting at ONLY $6.95 per month -
    Provo, Utah 84606
    United States
    Phone: +1.8017659400
    Fax..: +1.8017651992
    Email: support@hostmonster.com
    Last modified: 2009-04-10 18:20:59 GMT

Administrative Info: (FAST-12785295)
    Attn: sgpstore.com
    HostMonster.com INC
    1958 South 950 East
    HOST UNLIMITED DOMAINS *FREE*
    Hosting Accounts starting at ONLY $6.95 per month -
    Provo, Utah 84606
    United States
    Phone: +1.8017659400
    Fax..: +1.8017651992
    Email: support@hostmonster.com
    Last modified: 2009-04-10 18:20:59 GMT

3. thelarster macrumors newbie

I've had the exact same issue - 3 weeks old and the corners fell off. I've emailed them twice - nothing.

4. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I bought the SGP crystal clear screen protector and now its all scratched up. Im going back to a BSE.

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had a bad customer service experience with SGP. I hope you guys get your issues worked out though.

6. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

SGP will not get anymore $$ from me or anyone I know either... Mistakes I can live with, but TOTAL unresponsiveness is a cardinal sin in my book

7. alau0115 macrumors regular

Hi, I am new owner of 3GS and a new victim of the SGP Store customer service.

Did anyone sucessfully contact them for return of goods? Does the telephone number work?

I tried sending them two emails but no response at all. Just sent a third email today.

Really regret buying stuff from them as their customer service is nonexistent. I am just trying to return two of their leather cases.

A little review on their SGP Shield crystal clear screen protector for 3GS. Though it lives up to the promise of no rainbow effect (there is actually a rainbow effect but it is very little)and a pretty good top coat, I find the film does not stick around the home screen button regardless of how many time I re-position the film. When the film is laid in perfect position, the film around the home screen buttom simply does not stick .

8. lpnjake macrumors member

my SGP order will be in monday, i ordered 2 screen protectors from wirelessrage.. (btw WORST company to deal with if you want your items in under a week..)

i gave up a powersupport to go to sgp hope i dont regret it!

9. alau0115 macrumors regular

hi ipnjake,

I am on the reverse situation. I want to see if the Power Support clear screen protector is better than the SGP Shield.

Anyone use the Power Support clear screen protector? How do you like the quality and durability of the film?

Thanks

10. OhioLefty macrumors regular

My wife and I both use Power Support screen protectors. I have the Anti-Glare on my 3GS and she has the Crystal on her 3GS. We really like both for different reasons, she likes the clarity of the Crystal while I dislike it because it shows smudges and fingerprints. I like the Anti-Glare obviously because it hides smudges and fingerprints better and reduces glare when I'm outside or under office lighting. Both go on really easy with no bubbles and really fit the screen area nice. With the Crystal it's hard to even tell there is a screen protector on the iPhone. Both of ours have been on for over a month with no signs of any wear or scratches and we use them everyday.

Later...

11. lpnjake macrumors member

power support was nice, but when i went to apply the second one (2 months after i bought the 2pk) the addhesivie seemed to be lacking.. like it wouldnt even stick to the phone and it was kept in the original packing. SGP will be here today so time will tell.

12. MrBob910 macrumors newbie

+1

Same problem here. I gave up after sending the 3rd email asking a simple question before my purchase and never got one single reply from SGP.

13. alau0115 macrumors regular

Haha, ours are the other way round. :)

I like the screen to be as clear as possible and so I have the SGP Steinheil crystal while my gf hates to wipe the fingerprints often and so she has the Steinheil anti-fingerprint on hers.

The Steinheil crystal film on my 3GS has the problem that I described before.

Since day one, out of the same 2 pcs pack, the first one has the film lifting around the home screen button while the second one has the lifting on both the home screen and the earpiece. It has nothing to do with misalignment or mis-position as I center and lay the film perfectly and with many trials.

My ongoing concern is specks of dust would get inside the earpiece over time.

On the other hand, the situation with the Steinheil fingerprint is better. The lifting around the home screen is not serious. Probably it is in a different batch or the anti-fingerprint version simply is thicker which helps the film to stay on the cutouts.

I like the gaps and fit of the Steinheil design but maybe they are too close to the button which makes the cling style adhesive hard to stick.

14. lpnjake macrumors member

sigh LET down my sgp.. i miss my power support. i cant get it to stick around the home button and around the ear peice button.

15. alau0115 macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that but you have the same issue after the installation?

16. lpnjake macrumors member

yep. below the home button and ear piece u can see that it wont stick to the screen, debating on which case to order and as i order that case ill be ordering a powersupport cystal set.

SGP = cheap crap

17. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I'm really shocked to read some of these responses. Side by side and having used both the SGP and the PS anti-fingerprint shields, the SGP is superior in every way. It's more clear, better fit, less "texture"... I've never needed to contact their customer service, but as far as product goes, SGP wins, hands down.

18. alau0115 macrumors regular

Daremo, it is a different situation as we are comparing the Crystal clear versions and not the anti-fingerprint ones. :)

I've also installed the SGP Anti-fingerprint on my girlfriend's 3GS and it is okay without film lifting. The SGP anti-fingerprint is a good product.

I can't comment on how good the PS anti-fingerprint as I don't have one.

However, I can compare their crystal clear versions as I've replaced the SGP crystal clear with the PS clear version tonight.

The PS clear version does not exhibit any film lifting surrounding the buttons. The SGP crystal clear one does.

I have to admit it is a pity to see the film lifting on the SGP clear one as I like the smaller gap surrounding the home screen button in the SGP clear. Their problem is just the adhesive a bit weak to stick in those areas.

The Power Support crystal clear film, on the other hand, has a slightly bigger gap surrounding the home button but it is close enough.

19. larapumkin macrumors regular

i've used both the crystal and anti-fingerprint from both company's
    and +1 for SGP was def. better in my experience

20. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Oops! I didn't realize this was for the crystal. Sorry about that. I only even owned the PS crystal one, so I have never compared the two, but I did like the PS when I used it.

21. ihonda macrumors 68000

just had a SGP months back, and just switched to a power support yesterday, wow powersupport crystal not only feels better but it looks better.

22. alau0115 macrumors regular

I find the Power Support Crystal Clear has a similar texture, appearance, screen area as the SGP Steinheil. But the difference is the Steinheil clear one has the adhesive too weak to stay on the area near the home screen and sometimes the ear piece.

On the other hand, the Power Support crystal clear has strong enough adhesive to just stay on the screen without film lifting.

So I like the PS better. (Can't comment on the PS anti-fingerprint ones as I only have the Steinheil one which is okay)

I also tried Martin Fields screen protector on previous devices. The scratch resistance on all there (Martin Fields, Steinheil and PS) appears to be similar. However, the Martin Fields adhesive is much stronger.. it requires more effort to lift up the film by using a piece of Scotch tape to clean up specks of dusts.

23. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to wonder if something happened to my package from SGP. I ordered the Anti-Fingerprint film set Sunday night. It shipped out Monday the 14th and still isn't here and the tracking number hasn't updated since Tuesday the 15th. Meanwhile I placed an order at MyGearStore.com Thursday morning, it shipped that day and is coming today after only 2 days. Both companies shipped from California and both were USPS first class. So I wonder whats up with my SGP order as the package should have been here on Thursday the earliest though I guess I have to give it at least 7 business days.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

Just got the flip over case. Shipped Immediately, and I have within 2 days.

I have never had a sales issue with them and I have ordered other cases.

None of the cases has ever needed me to contact them for support.

I do agree with others that their Steinhiel protectors are not as good as the Power Support sold at the apple store.

So far, nothing has beat the apple protectors.

Not even the Clearprotectors on ebay which are not smooth and really no meant for touch screen displays

25. jgu macrumors newbie

SGP products are good, their Quality Control is bad, and their Customer support is awful.

They don't respond to emails unless you go on their facebook page to complain.