Shady ATT Store Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RJS108, Sep 19, 2014.

1. RJS108 macrumors newbie

So I got in line at the AT&T store around 11:50 last night, and was 4th in line. I wanted a 64gb plus, but planned on getting a 128gb plus if the 64 wasn't available.

A little before 7am, ATT employees started arriving at work. We asked them about the availability, and they all indicated that they had plenty of all models available, including the plus.

The process was very unorganized. They never came out to ask which models each person in line wanted. No tickets were handed out. At 8am, they just let the first 15 people into the store at once, and it was a mad dash to each of the 15 ATT associates scattered throughout the store. (The 15th person in line probably got in line about 5 hours after me).

From what I heard, everyone was told there were no 64 plus phones available. Most were told that the only plus iPhones they had were 16 and 128, but I heard one rep tell someone they only got the plus in 16gb.

I told my associate I wanted a 128gb plus, since the 64 wasn't available. He has the runner go to the back to get it, but he comes back out and said that they only have 16gb left in the plus. The guy next to me, who was behind me in line, was in the process of buying a 128gb plus.

I went to the manager and explained that I'm being told that only the 16gb version is available, yet people that were in line after me are buying the version that I wanted. I made it clear that he needed to come up with a 64gb or 128gb plus for me. He said, "let me see what I can find", and went to the back. He came back out with two phones, and pulled me to the side. He said, I have the 64gb plus in silver or space gray, which do you want".

When the associate was checking me out, the manager came back over to me and told me to put my box away, so no one else saw that I was buying a 64 plus. The 3 people that were ahead of me in line all wanted the 64 plus, and had to buy different versions instead.

Obviously, it worked out for me since I got the exact phone I wanted, but it was a very shady experience. Not sure why ATT would intentionally hold back the 64gb plus, and make everyone buy the other models instead.

2. akhilleus macrumors member

Definitely a shady experience but it's got to be coming down from higher up as a directive action to take. Not sure why they would want you to hide your purchase or lie to you from the get-go, but there's something behind it for sure. That said, you lucked out so congrats on getting the model you wanted. Sounds like that ATT store didn't have their staff on the same page of telling lies in unison.

3. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

And this is why you preorder. So you don't have to deal with this crap. Ill have my plus a few hours after you and guess what? All I did was sit at my computer to get it.

God some people just never learn.

4. reverberlayed macrumors regular

Maybe they were hoping to set them aside for employee purchases/friends. Shady indeed. Glad it worked out for you.

5. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Probably the AT&T store employees buying for themselves!

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sounds like some of the employees might have been reserving the plus for friends:mad:

7. Tekzilla macrumors regular

Tekzilla

Yea, they were definitely being held for a friend or family of people who worked there.

8. cornerexit macrumors regular

LMFAO!

Dude, they want to go through this. They want to stress themselves out. They have no life so sitting in some outdoor chair all night is an experience to them. Battling for line space is fun to them. So I can sit at home, in my thunderwear, click and buy, in comfort, peace, and tranquility.....or.......I can camp out, battle a line, the mad dash for the cash, etc. Gee, which way should I pick?

9. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular

The day I wait in line all night for a phone and the sprint towards an employee the second the doors open is the day I up ya bullet in my head

10. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Right before exiting the place, you should have shouted that they had the 64 GB models. Then just run.

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

12. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

same thing, not cool.

13. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Better yet, shout that they have chocolate croissants.

People love those.

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Employees usually can't buy them for months after.

15. RJS108 thread starter macrumors newbie

I submitted my preorder at 3:04am EST last Friday, and it's not shipping til October. I didn't want to wait, so I got in line.

16. dkh587 macrumors regular

If I were you, I would call AT&T corporate and report them.

17. skyking517 macrumors regular

First I can tell you that this is NOT true at all. I worked at At&T for 5 years and left in MAY for better schedule. However I can tell you the employees are getting first dibs, there is NO doubt this goes on. ALSO I can tell you that the Managers set aside a certain amount for OBF's that may occur. They need to have those sitting aside for escalations.

18. erzhik macrumors 6502

Easy. They are keeping them for their friends.

19. Oktobermagic macrumors member

20. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

The manager hooked him up and he left with the phone he wanted. why would he report them. that would be a jerk move if you report them and get them in trouble after they looked out for you.

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, this happens every year. They hold back some phones on launch day so they have a few to sell over the weekend. It's not just AT&T, most retailers do it.

22. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Has it occurred to anyone that if they say they don't have 64gb, most customers will pay $100 more for 128gb instead of downgrading? Then their commission is instantly higher. :confused:

23. Lylyluvda916 macrumors regular

Well my local Att had only one plus. Plenty of 6. Ducks but I'm not mad because your luck was just worse.

24. dkh587 macrumors regular

He should call because what the store is doing is not right. Sure, he got what he wanted, but it seems others were getting shafted in the process. Bad business is bad business whether or not you get what you want.

25. toekneeg macrumors member

This exact thing happened at my store. AT&T company store in Altamonte Springs. I was second in line and somehow ended up with a spread of 16GB models. I grabbed a manager angrily and demanded he find me my phone.

Luckily the guy who was fourth in line, which we're now great friends, ended up with my phone. iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray 64GB. He swapped me out of pure respect that I was ahead of him in line and the process was jacked up. So stupid how they did that, knowing they were scarce on Plus models.