Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I better be able to turn this off because if it's anything like another app it's gonna be annoying.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I keep it turned off, I think it's annoying. If I have my phone in my pocket and take a big step or walk fast (not even jog or run) it changes songs on me.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

fishkorp said:
I keep it turned off, I think it's annoying. If I have my phone in my pocket and take a big step or walk fast (not even jog or run) it changes songs on me.

I think your talking about shake to shuffle not shake to undo!!

kisbys

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009

Yes you are but i also agree couldn't work out what was going on thought it was a bug in the Beta software...

Things like this I think are worse than a gimick... at least a gimick keeps you amused (we may be a for a few minutes) this actively irritates especially if you are half way through a song!!!!!!!

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

I think your talking about shake to shuffle not shake to undo!!

Oops, yes :eek: That's what I get for responding to things when I first wake up and can't properly read, haha.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I use an App called Rowmote, it's a remote with a track pad and keyboard for the iPhone/iPod Touch. It has a "shake to toggle" keyboard feature. My review indicated that this was nice but I wish it could lock the keyboard, whether it was locked on or locked off because (I kid you not) I could sneeze with the phone resting beside me on the couch and it would toggle off or on. It was annoying.

I don't need to shake ****, I need copy and paste. Keep it up Apple .. Keep it up.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I use an App called Rowmote, it's a remote with a track pad and keyboard for the iPhone/iPod Touch. It has a "shake to toggle" keyboard feature. My review indicated that this was nice but I wish it could lock the keyboard, whether it was locked on or locked off because (I kid you not) I could sneeze with the phone resting beside me on the couch and it would toggle off or on. It was annoying.

I don't need to shake ****, I need copy and paste. Keep it up Apple .. Keep it up.

.... copy and paste is in the beta. Shake to undo is when you type a text and want to undo a change, you shake. So what are you complaining about?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
IMO, it's more of a gimmick than a useful function.
Sure, undo is worth having, but I'm not sure about having to shake the phone to activate it - what are the chances of you accidentally pressing another key whilst you're shaking the phone? Or, even worse, sending the phone flying across the room :D

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
the shake to undo typing...i just never use it...i can backspace before i remember that i have it

the ipod shake to shuffle is kinda cool, (and it doesn't shuffle if your phone is locked) so if your'e jogging don't worry about it, as long as your phone is locked

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
With the first 3.0 beta, you had to shake really hard to invoke the undo function. In subsequent beta releases, you don't need to shake nearly as hard.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Shaking to do anything gets pretty old quickly. Shaking to roll the dice in Motion-X Dice and Poker games was fun at the beginning, but people quickly started saying their wrists hurt from shaking, and asked for a button to roll the dice, which was added in an update. Once we got the button, I've never used the shake to roll function, tapping the button is so much quicker and easier. Then there was the time I sneezed when I didn't mean to roll the dice, and lost a very good dice combination. :( I'd hate to think what an inadvertent sneeze could do with the shake to undo function.

spikedfo

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
shake to UNDO? If it has another feature let you shake it again to REDO?
Then if I shake and shake..?
:D
Sorry I just feel that case would be very funny. lol

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
shake to UNDO? If it has another feature let you shake it again to REDO?
Then if I shake and shake..?
:D
Sorry I just feel that case would be very funny. lol

It's funny that you mention this because it does have shake to redo. If you type something you can keep shaking and unshaking to undo and redo it over again.

This feature is really kinda gimmicky though all in all.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
It's not so much a shake to undo as it is a flick to undo. Just one medium-force flick of the wrist does the job. I've found it to be very useful, once I started remembering it was there.

One day I was making fun of my girlfriend by dancing to one of her favorite songs - the song was playing on my iPhone which I was holding. Within seconds, shake to shuffle took over and changed the song - it ruined the whole impact of my ridicule. That's the only time I've used shake to shuffle. I didn't like it. :)

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Just a note to all you guys confusing this with shake to shuffle and commenting that it switched songs on you... it only switches songs if the phone is unlocked or the iPod controls are on the screen (like when you double click when the phone is locked to bring up the controls). I don't see how you could have it switching songs in your pocket unless you're double clicking the home button in your pocket?

sommls

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
Since installing 3.0 on Wednesday, I have used shake to undo once: accidental deletion of a whole note page that I selected and wanted to keep.

In that sense, it seems very useful. For most typing, though, I think backspace is fine and feels less disruptive.

Ochire

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
No one would deny Undo is a useful feature. Shake to undo however is irritating. I have checked and there is no way to turn it off, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.