Share your Leopard/necessity type thoughts here

Discussion in 'macOS' started by disconap, Oct 21, 2007.

1. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Ok, so I played with Leopard at a friend of mine's (a developer) a couple nights ago, and I just watched the guided tour movie from the Apple site, and here are my opinions (let me preface this by saying that I'll likely end up with Leopard eventually, and that these are my opinions of the features themselves, NOT of how they look or work; if you like the features of the OS, I definitely recommend it from the time I've had with it, I just question how necessary it really is...):

The Finder really doesn't look that different, and I wouldn't even necessarily say better. The fourth view is just unnecessary, and the itunes-esque design isn't really that much of an improvement. And Stacking seemed cooler in theory; really, it's just a different looking version of a feature that Tiger has (drag a folder to your dock to try it). The download straight to stack is sorta cool, but ultimately not a huge selling point to me.

Spaces is a good idea, but not what I'd hoped it would be. I was hoping spaces would be similar to logging in/out users on the fly, so if you were running different apps that were RAM/resource hogs, everything would write to cache as you switched to the other user. That would have been grand for those of use who work 2-3 jobs on the same mac (music editing, video editing, and graphic design for me). Otherwise, it's very organized, but really it's sort of like a better featured Exposé (I did like that they worked drag and drop into the actual spaces menu, though).

Time Machine again seemed cooler in theory. It's a neat feature, but in my mind it just seems like you're trading system resources for a feature you're probably not going to get much use out of if you are a heavy computer user that has an archiving system. Being able to specifically go back to time and place is neat but not as necessary as it seems, and scheduled back-ups can already be done with loads of apps. Also, I worry about how it will handle available resources: will it slow other apps/firewire bandwith down (either splitting the total available resources or demanding control of them), or will it use only what is available? That would be a huge question mark for me. I will admit, however, that the time machine interface is impressive.

Mail notes is kinda cool. The rest not so much, but notes is a good idea (as I am one of those people who has 30 emails in my drafts folder with little notes to myself in them).

Most of the iChat features are stupid and pointless. And watching that bit on the video was painful; the guy was stiff enough, but that girl's faked smile through the whole thing made me cringe. The screen swapping is slightly cool, but also slightly creepy. I like the idea, but it does open up security questions (though, with Apple's track record, I wouldn't say concerns).

Wow. An hour or two to update?

So ultimately I feel like Leopard about the same as I did about Tiger: most of the big improvements are probably not going to see a lot of use, and some of them (like Spotlight in Tiger) are downright frustrating and annoying. However, also like Tiger, it is prettier than its predecessor and there are a few interesting new features. So for me, it is ultimately down to how big the performance improvements on PPC really are going to be (so any G5 users who are Leopard early adopters, please post what you find in that area). If I owned an Intel mac, I'd probably buy it early, as I've been told it's designed for the architecture, but I haven't heard from any PPC developers yet, so I'm curious to see how much of a boost it really is...

2. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

The Finder and Coverflow are one of the best features for me. I won't be able to go back to life without it. At work where I am browsing photos this will be a HUGE timesaver. I won't have to open Bridge up to get a decent view any more. (Does Coverflow work with RAW image formats that are compatible with iPhoto/Aperture/OS X? If so ..that's even better!!)

The screen sharing is a dream come true for us that have to help "less than adept" people figure out problems or show them how to do something.

Time machine is not only an awesome backup solution ..but it's meant for those people who don't either know how to set up a backup schedule or don't know how important it is. Do you know how many people out there are running without a backup? It may not be a feature you swoon over every day ..but if you ever really need it you will think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Obviously you've never lost anything of real importance yet ;)

Better security ..better multi-threading ..better optimization for Intel procs ...better spotlight ...better in so many ways I can't imagine anyone not wanting to upgrade.

3. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Quick question, does this new spotlight allow you to use "*.php" or something similar? I hate that I cannot do advanced searching via spotlight.

4. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I feel the same way about some of the features, but I'm confident that overall it'll be worth the upgrade.

5. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Point well received. Coverflow just strikes me as one of those things that I will never, ever use.

[​IMG] Very true. As I said, I like that feature, I just worry about how potentially "big brother"y it could become (which is ironic considering the 1984 Apple superbowl commercial)...

You're right! Because I am careful and have redundent back-ups (including weekly dvd backups that are moved off-site). But I have had to run data recovery for friends, and with OSX (as I'm sure you know) it's a pain...

I own a PPC, my machine is secure, I hate spotlight, and I am waiting to hear about optimization for G5s. ;) Plus I run CS2 and several other pro-apps that Ihave no desire to upgrade, which may have issues with Leopard. I will wait and see...

6. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Ok, I just read an article that suggested that Classic will be completely abandoned in Leopard. If that's true, then I definitely won't be upgrading for quite some time.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Classic was abandoned with the Intel switch, but yes, Leopard drops the final semblance of support for OS 9 (can you blame them, it's been 8 years already now, right?). I'm surprised you still need it though, what are you running in Classic?

jW

8. kakkoiimac macrumors regular

what do you think of the iChat theater? i think that it will be great for me in Hawaii to get input on my projects from my dad in Las Vegas...

I mean, my dad is not super computer literate, but has a great eye for presentations and photos. So this will make it way to edit and bounce ideas off of him. Also i can see his reactions to my ideas, so i will really know what he thinks, and not have him hold back for the sake of being too nice.

Anyway, I am way excited for Leopard and will be getting it the 26th

9. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

PIMS. And Cubase, actually, since my hardware (GadgetLabs 8/24) has no existent OSX drivers.

10. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

I personally hate video chat in all its forms. But that's just me; as a product, I think ichat theater is pretty interesting.

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Screen sharing will be a godsend for those of us who are the alpha-geek in the family. We bought my mother-in-law One-to-One training, and she's really getting a lot out of it. But if I can help her remotely, that will be great, as we live about 120 miles apart. Last time she visited, I setup ARD on her MacBook, then VNC on my MBP and I could help her without hanging over her shoulder (and I can relax in the recliner in between questions. Almost worth the price of admission for that.

I'll probably give her a portable Firewire drive so she can get TimeMachine running.

The only thing is she's taken since May to really get used to Tiger, and I don't want to scare her off with too many new things. Tiny steps, tiny steps......

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

cant you do this in tiger's spotlight already by just typing .php? .doc returns me word documents.