Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
acearchie said:
What program did you use for the text as I really like the affect!

May I also say on a side note that you have a pretty mean set up!

thanks :) it's all iMovie. if you're referring to the fading at the end, i just photoshopped both slides and faded them together ;)

Divyesh

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
Well i have not made any films but here i have seen some really great film in this threadso thanks everyone for sharing if in future i make i will sure that i will try to share with you.:)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Well i have not made any films but here i have seen some really great film in this threadso thanks everyone for sharing if in future i make i will sure that i will try to share with you.:)

Good Im glad you enjoyed it as really just showcasing our films was the intention of this thread whilst also picking up tips from other users!

And again the list is all updated!

mrmiagi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
An Afternoon With Roxy

I put together (in about 1 hour) a cute film that people seem to like. I shot it all on my iPhone 3Gs including two still shots.

The film was originally supposed to be titled "...we took the dog". But I changed the title at the last second because I wasn't sure anyone would get the point of the movie. Well, I was wrong because the response so far has shown that the message was clearly received. It's a light hearted movie but with a very emotional meaning to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZJ3-YjUOI4

brmaki

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
RVA
I wish I could round up a copy of the East of Eden modern rendition ala COPS that some friends and I did for our english class senior year. It was pretty poorly edited, but it was a blast to make. We did a zombie flick for films that year too, pretty much the same...not a great short, but was probably one of the best times of my life.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I wish I could round up a copy of the East of Eden modern rendition ala COPS that some friends and I did for our english class senior year. It was pretty poorly edited, but it was a blast to make. We did a zombie flick for films that year too, pretty much the same...not a great short, but was probably one of the best times of my life.

Get them up here! The whole point is that we are all sharing our films, we can bounce our ideas of each other! You've said that the editing was poor but maybe there is someone here who can edit really well but coming up with story ideas seems impossible which may be your forte!

As long as you had fun making it then we will probably have fun watching it!

I will add the other films to the first post when I get the chance to see them when I get off this hotel dial up on friday!

mrmiagi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
Jnfh

Here is another film that I made as a public service. My girlfriend and I volunteered at the Jackson National Fish Hatchery two summers ago. We took care of the fish and also gave tours of the facility. Because much of the action was not visible by the public, I made this film to let them see the behind the scenes action. We showed the film before every tour and the people loved it. Kids especially liked the fish pumping scenes.

Here is JNFH.

http://vimeo.com/4139954

brmaki

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
RVA
Get them up here! The whole point is that we are all sharing our films, we can bounce our ideas of each other! You've said that the editing was poor but maybe there is someone here who can edit really well but coming up with story ideas seems impossible which may be your forte!

As long as you had fun making it then we will probably have fun watching it!

I will add the other films to the first post when I get the chance to see them when I get off this hotel dial up on friday!

Haha, believe me, if anyone still has copies of them I will get them on youtube.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I thought I had posted this here already... but after a quick read through this thread, it looks like I was mistaken...

Up here in northern Michigan, there's a tree filled with shoes -- nobody really knows how it got started, but there are dozens of theories as to the tree's origin. A while back, we put together a short film centered around one of those theories:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=129080955283

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006

Nice video.

Whats the track that you used? I would like to use it in some films too!

@Yoyo5208 for a video with straight music with no particular storage you may want to sync the footage more to the music more like a music video so it all fits together nicely. Some of the footage is really good though!

@Dangeresque I really like your simply video and it is an interesting idea for a project to do!

Again the list is all updated and waiting for some more Macrumors talent!

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
@Yoyo5208 for a video with straight music with no particular storage you may want to sync the footage more to the music more like a music video so it all fits together nicely. Some of the footage is really good though!

Thankyou! That is one of the things that has irked me so much about that project.

I think other ones I have done like that work better, but I am unsure wether to post them because it has footage of school and friends and i'm not sure wether or not to post that here. But I would love to hear your thoughts...

hmm....

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Thankyou! That is one of the things that has irked me so much about that project.

I think other ones I have done like that work better, but I am unsure wether to post them because it has footage of school and friends and i'm not sure wether or not to post that here. But I would love to hear your thoughts...

hmm....

What software are you using for the editing.

In Final Cut Pro/Express its really easy to create markers in the song and allow the clips to snap to these markers.

If you are using iMovie 09 then I take my hat off to you. It's almost impossible to do anything outside of a generic visual to music creation in the new iMovie package!

Nice vids you all.
Im just a beginner but here is a vid i made the other day. Its my first short film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzgPzbalgc

Agreed with other people in the other thread about lighting and camera shake, a mac will certainly help you with the titles and overall look of the film.

You may want to have some other music in the track as the titles are a little boring with no sound.

However I realise that it is your first attempt and it is a good start. Just take in all the comments that people have made and use them to improve for your next film!

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
What software are you using for the editing.

In Final Cut Pro/Express its really easy to create markers in the song and allow the clips to snap to these markers.

If you are using iMovie 09 then I take my hat off to you. It's almost impossible to do anything outside of a generic visual to music creation in the new iMovie package!

I have Final Cut Express but haven't had time to sit down and learn it. :(
I use iMovie 09 for all of my stuff...

Does the music match more in this one? http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1175642628560

(I suppose you know which school I used to go to now)

@cpnotebook80 may I recommend putting the footage in slow motion and using the stabilizer of imovie 09 to make it match the music? And also make the transitions much longer? Great looking cam I thinks

Thanks so smuch
-omi

tsuru

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2008
Here's three films that I made:

Morning

A little project I did around last Christmas. I was trying to think of some kind of short that I could make and decided on just making a movie of my morning routine (well not exactly routine but I digress). I'm sure it's been done before but as my first "big" project I was curious as to what others might think of it so any criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Everything was shot with a Canon PowerShot S3 IS and edited in iMovie.

2815 A.D.

After buying the (excellent) WALL-E soundtrack, one track in particular, "2815 A.D." really stood out as a wonderfully haunting piece of music. Inspired by it, I went to make this video in which I tried emulate the same atmosphere present in the particular scene in WALL-E where this piece of music is played. The setting in this video is a small resort community in Japan that come winter, is pretty much barren of anybody. So I tried to show it as a land empty of people and life. As a place of nostalgia for me, perhaps I find it sadder than others when I see it so barren but in any case, any helpful criticism will be appreciated and, of course, I hope you enjoy it.

Everything was taken with a Canon PowerShot S3 IS and edited in iMovie.

Music is from the WALL-E soundtrack by Thomas Newman.

Nojiri Gestapo

*Content in the description below may spoil some surprises in the video so you may want to read it after viewing the video*

A little project I did this summer ('09), some of the humor may be lost for those unfamiliar with the setting that this short film is based in, but to give an idea, it is set and was shot in a small summer resort community in the mountainous countryside of Japan. Confusion over sorting and recycling garbage there has always been a source of many jokes and as such I thought I would contribute my own source of entertainment on that before mentioned subject.

Everything was shot with a Canon PowerShot S3 IS utilizing a Hague Mini Motion Cam and a simple tripod. Everything was then edited in iMovie.

Music: Where Eagles Dare Theme by Ron Goodwin and I'm Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) by C&c Music Factory

Hope you enjoy!

mrmiagi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
Civil D - a film by Jerry Kessler

Hello all,

I just finished my latest short film, "Civil D". It is about an adult kickball team (Civil Disobedients, spelling intended) I joined this past summer. Yes, kickball is for adults too. We came in 3rd place in the regular season out of about 14 teams. Being the oldest team by far, it was alot of fun kicking butt on teams half our age. Hopefully, the film will demonstrate the intensity, fun, and camaraderie that our team exhibited during our season.

"Civil D" - http://vimeo.com/6463173

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.