Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dag15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2024
I’m in a family of 4 (2 parents, 2 kids). My wife and I want to repurpose an old iPhone for the 2 kids to share for occasional use (Having a phone at practice, out with a friend, etc). For now this phone number/iPhone will be for either kid to use when needed. The iPhone will be limited to phone calls, texts, and some other basic apps (I realize I can use parental controls relatively easily from Apple ID/Family sharing). Our current Apple/iCloud family account has 3 members (1. Organizer, 2. Spouse/parent, 3. Kid A) The two kids share an iPad using Kid A Apple ID. Eventually both kids will have their own iPhones/iPads/Apple IDs. However, for the time being what would be the best way to manage the Apple ID situation for the shared/parental controlled iPhone? I see several options, but maybe I’m missing something.
  1. Use kid A Apple ID. I don’t like this option because as far as I can tell through iCloud Family I would have to manage the Apple ID, not the device. I want to manage the iPhone very differently than the iPad
  2. Create kid B Apple ID. I don’t like this option because kid A content (mostly iMessage) gets lost.
  3. Create kid C Apple ID that is more neutral and won’t be used for any iMessage outside of immediate family/close friends
  4. Go with some other third party/paid type of MDM. I really don’t want this option.
I realize the Apple preferred option is to buy/repurpose an iPhone for both kids. That will happen eventually, just not yet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.