Sharing photos on iCloud & syncing to iPhoto question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by hokiepokie07, Oct 24, 2014.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

With the new family share on iCloud, my wife and I have our own iCloud accounts now to allow for more storage. The biggest fall back is being able to share photos. We have the family folder, but is there a way to have it like it used to be so when I take a picture or she takes a picture on her phone, our photos sync up?

Also, on iPhoto on our laptop, it syncs my photos, but how can I set it up so it will also sync my wife's photos and all our photos will be in sync.

Basically, what I want is for all our photos to be synced on all devices while allowing us to have separate iCloud accounts.

Last question, with the new iCloud Photo Library, I'd rather only have to pay for 200GBs once and not for both my wife and I since we have the same pictures. Is that possible with us have separate iCloud accounts?

Thanks!

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can't share storage across two separate IDs. And I know of no way to sync two photo libraries with each other, either. May be possible to manipulate once the new Mac Photos app is available, next year, I think.

3. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I haven't seen any way to have photos automatically sync between devices without sharing the same icloud account. I was hoping the new Family Share feature would do this but all it does, photos-wise, is create a Family Shared Photo Stream, which can be done without Family Share turned on anyways.

Fair warning...I've been a part of a thread here where many people were taking "heat" over wanting this exact functionality. There are many people on this forum that can't fathom the thought of having their significant other's photos show up automatically on their device. Even with me stating that I have a newborn and photos are a huge thing for my wife and me... :confused:

4. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Yeah, that's basically why we want to share photos is because of our newborn. I also plan to use the iCloud photo library, but I find it crazy to pay two times when we use the same photos and videos.