Sharing Purchased Music With Authorized PC's

Discussion in 'iPod' started by redonkified, Jul 27, 2007.

1. redonkified macrumors newbie

My home network has 4 PC's/Macs. If I download an album from iTunes on one of the machines how can I allows another machine to download that file.

I downloaded an album on my Dell PC which I want to be have on my Apple Powerbook. What's the most intuitive way to combine libraries or recently downloaded files?

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Sharing (in iTunes preferences) is the easiest option; though you would only be streaming the music from your PC rather than copying the file across.

If that doesn't suit, your only options are to authorise the PowerBook and copy the files across, or burn them to CD and rip them on the PowerBook.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Syncing documents across the network is a weakness of OS X/Windows, clearly they think we all have servers :p. File Sharing (System Preferences==>Sharing) will allow you to copy the files across, see Networking Windows with OS X

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You want a backup of your purchased music anyway. In iTunes: Choose "Backup to disk" in the "File" menu, then backup all your purchased music onto a DVD. You can insert that DVD into each of the other machines and then "Add to Library" in the File menu (Note: In Preferences/Advanced/General turn on "Copy Files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" before you add the music, or do Advanced/Consolidate Library immediately afterwards while the dVD is still in the drive).