Sharp President Confirms Shipments of Displays for New iPhone this Month

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that Sharp president Takashi Okuda today made a rare public reference to an unreleased Apple device, acknowledging that his company will begin shipping displays for the next-generation iPhone this month.
Japan's Sharp Corp. said it will start shipping screens destined for a new Apple iPhone that is widely expected to be released in October ahead of the pre-Christmas shopping season.

"Shipments will start in August," Sharp's new president, Takashi Okuda, said at a press briefing in Tokyo on Thursday after the company released its latest quarterly earnings.

He declined to give a more specific date for shipments beyond this month.
The report also reiterates circulating rumors that the next iPhone will carry a larger 4-inch display that makes use of in-cell touch technology to reduce thickness.

Sharp president Takashi Okuda
Numerous sources have all but confirmed that Apple's media event to introduce the next iPhone will take place on Wednesday, September 12, with several indicating that availability of the device will follow on Friday, September 21. Reuters' report mentions expectations for October availability, but that would mark an unusually long gap between introduction and availability given that Reuters was one of the sources to report the September 12 media event date earlier this week.

Article Link: Sharp President Confirms Shipments of Displays for New iPhone this Month

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
New controlled leaks allowed by Tim?

What better way to prevent sales of your competitors devices than to say "just wait a bit longer, our new devices are almost ready". Free marketing.

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
This is good news! Sharp's IGZO displays should be about 30-40% more energy efficient than existing iPhone retina displays.

IGZO TFTs are more transparent, so the backlight doesn't need to be as bright for the same effective brightness.

Along with a more efficient A5 CPU, this is all leading towards Apple make a thinner, lighter new iPhone which has the same or better battery life compared to the 4S.

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
I thought Apple partners are required (by contract) to keep their mouth shut?

I remember an interview with ARM where the guy wouldn't even confirm they work with Apple.

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Well that's the last Apple contract Sharp'll get.
Yes, because Apple manages to have one of the best supply lines in the industry by letting emotions and their own paranoia decide business relationships. :rolleyes:

sarsonj

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
the 4 weeks gap seems to be logical

If the screen resolution will be different (as the screen ratio seems to be changed), they want to give developers to prepare updated versions of apps - to be available on iPhone 5 start.

When iPad was introduced, it was 3 months before shippment, so that this is not exeption.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Glad screen is 4"
Was Tim cook kidding about security control?
Part of me hopes that all of this is smokescreen, I'd love for a true surprise from Apple, but reality dictates otherwise.

Afterall...with the monolith the company and supply chain have become, can we realistically expect any real secrecy once production starts ramping? My guess is no.

Although...no part leaks yet for the rumored Ipad Mini...so its either bunk or there is still hope for secrecy. Its half the fun with Apple, I dont' want to see it go away :cool:

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Didn't Tim Cook claim they are doubling down on secrecy.
Doubling 'down' to me means relaxing. Doubling 'up' means getting tough i.e. double up on someone and kick the living crap out of them for leaking stuff :p

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seems like a planned coordinated leak to me. I think Apple wants the world, not just those that follow Apple, to know a new iPhone is on the way. What Okuda said isn't as much news as it confirms other reports. It was already all but officially confirmed earlier this week that the new iPhone would be announced on Sept 12. It's no secret that Sharp makes panels for Apple. No particulars about the screen was given. That would be the real news.

Doubling 'down' to me means relaxing. Doubling 'up' means getting tough i.e. double up on someone and kick the living crap out of them for leaking stuff :p
"Doubling down" is a blackjack term. Player doubles his original bet and only gets one more card. The players hope is that one more card gets him 21 or at least 20.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
So they are leaving themselves a few weeks to have a sensible supply ready?

Guess they are thick.

After all all the die hard fans tell us that it can't be because Apple deliberately do this for the extra hype.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
That's a controlled leak to have all eyes turn towards iPhone "5" while Apple is happily building an Apple tv set or an iOven or whatever :D

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Oh dear, all these rumours are pointing to the next phone being the 4SL, a real shame, and a big mistake by Apple I think. A bigger deviation from the 4 and 4S would have been nice.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Since getting the S3 I can't imagine using a small screen again.

4 is an improvement. will have to see though.