Sharpie the Red Dot

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by co1f, Sep 25, 2017.

1. co1f macrumors regular

Curious if anyone has (black) sharpied their Red Dot yet. How does it look?

I’m waiting till my 14 day return period is over, although at this point I’ll likely keep it.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

3. co1f thread starter macrumors regular

For a watch that can and will get wet a lot, I wouldn’t think watchdots would hold up well.

4. mk313 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend buying a bottle of nail polish and putting a dot of it on the watch dot. Should last a lot longer than a sharpie marker coloring.

5. co1f thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds like a worthy idea. Except wife will look at me funny when I ask her to help me shop for a matte nail polish finish that will match my space gray aluminum :)

6. jpy1980 macrumors member

7. wesselya macrumors member

I'm with this guy. It's a red dot. Apple made a fashion statement live with it ;). Feel good about the fact that you can distinguish between the watches so quickly.

It's the same with de badging a vehicle. Most people don't mind those ugly nameplates and some do

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Someone else made a really good point. When you wear the Apple Watch, you can't even see that side of the digital crown where the red dot would be. I don't find it to be a dealbreaker where I would not purchase the Apple Watch because of it, but if I had a choice, I would also prefer the digital crown to be all one color.

9. jpy1980 macrumors member

Haha I like it! It makes me feel special ;)

10. co1f thread starter macrumors regular

Great analogy. I’ve debadged my last two cars :)

11. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Guilty of this. I guess I am out.. :eek:

12. co1f thread starter macrumors regular

+1
    Agreed. I can’t see it, but it detracts from the look. And to tell the truth, I don’t and never have liked the form factor of the AW. I wear one because it’s practical and useful. Mostly for the silent notifications.

13. MjWoNeR macrumors 6502

MjWoNeR

I have your solution right here! Adhesive diamonds!

[​IMG]

14. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68020

KarimLeVallois

True, you can't even see it! lol
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    BLING it back baby!!

15. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

For people who hate the red dot (personally I do like it a lot, by the way), I cannot but strongly recommend this wise limerick:

As a beauty, I am not a star;
    There are others more handsome by far.
    But my face I don't mind it
    Because I'm behind it.
    It's the people in front get the jar.

So be happy with your red dot as I am with mine :)

16. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

I think the red dot looks better on some models than others. I currently have the gold with pink sport loop strap and it doesn't look that nice against the pale pink and pinky gold but on the stainless steel with white strap (which I am ordering to replace the pink gold horror) it adds a pop of colour.

17. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Actually, I wear the crown in--because it works better that way--so I would see the red dot constantly. The upside is that it would not be readily visible to anyone else.

(With the crown in, you can use your thumb to turn the crown while your index finger touches the screen. It's awkward the other way.)

I'm happy with my aluminum gold AW S2, so I'm probably going to skip S3 and wait for S4.

18. wesselya macrumors member

Anyone think this is odd ? How do you use your thumb with the crown in?! Do you do a reach around ?! Your thumb would be on the other side unless you go from the top.

19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Your watch your money. Do what you want and never listen to what other people say especially if it’s about a product you own.

I wouldn’t use a sharpie, try the nail polish I’ve seen better results with that online.

20. coolbreeze2 macrumors 6502a

coolbreeze2

If you sharpie the red dot or cover is with nail polish, Apple could say the fluid from the sharpie or nail polish somehow damaged the watch. They then would not honor the warranty if something malfunctioned.

21. co1f thread starter macrumors regular

I would rather doubt that. There would have to be some indication that nail polish somehow seeped in and did damage. Same w/ car warranties... manufacturer would have to show that what you did (or didn't do) materially affected the issue in question.

[edit] unless of course you're referring to the finish, then yes :)

22. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I think it looks cool on the sport aluminum models... Not so much on the stainless steel... Apple should have really considered keeping the stainless steel black as its a dressier watch. After all the stainless steel is only available in cellular so there was no need to make a distinctive mark on it.

23. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

24. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68020

KarimLeVallois

But then it'll look like just a series 2 or even a series 0...

25. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't have an issue with the red dot if the watch has a black, red or white band on it, but if you put on some bands it will look ridiculous

Have a look here and try some different coloured bands (it's surely no coincidence that some of the bands show the watch without a dot for the product photo!)