Sharp's Production of New iPhone Displays Reportedly Behind Schedule

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that Sharp's production of screens for the new iPhone is behind schedule. Sharp Corporation is one of three suppliers of the new displays.
Production of Sharp Corp's screens for Apple Inc's latest iPhone is behind schedule as the Japanese display maker struggles with low production yields, a source close to the matter told Reuters on Friday.
Reuters offers no indication how severe the supply limitations are and if they will have an appreciable effect on the launch. As noted, Apple is also being supplied by Japan Display and LG Display Co for the new iPhone screens.

Apple is expected to announced the new iPhone on September 12th.

Article Link: Sharp's Production of New iPhone Displays Reportedly Behind Schedule

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Portland, Or
When a company wants to drive up demand towards supply what you say makes sense. Apple on the other hand will not be able to supply enough of these to meet demand so what you say is crap.
I know what you are saying and long time believed that, but I believe there's more to it than that, it's a sustained demand, which can produce more sales over a longer term than having supply to meet demand at day one. for every day your demand surpasses supply you can build on the mob mentality that it's a must have, so you keep building demand even as your supply is replenished.

it's a fun marketing strategy

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
When have they ever kept up with demand of the latest iphone at launch? Its only in a handful of countries at launch anyway. As long as they have mineready I dont mind, its been a long wait for me, my 3g is pretty much dead!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Oh, come on Sharp. :( You can pull this together!

We're in for troubles ahead, but we are approaching them together!

typ356

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
Give me a break. Rumors always reports production delays before every new iPhone and Apple always delivers.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Hopefully they don't rush the workers and we get some BS screens.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
I know what you are saying and long time believed that, but I believe there's more to it than that, it's a sustained demand, which can produce more sales over a longer term than having supply to meet demand at day one. for every day your demand surpasses supply you can build on the mob mentality that it's a must have, so you keep building demand even as your supply is replenished.

it's a fun marketing strategy
In short, it's just what you imagined and has no proof to back it up so in essence it's crap. ;)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Sharp has always been tardy. They didn't start shipping iPad 3 screens until later on.

henry72

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Rumors about Sharp again! I think there were some rumors about the Retina Mac will be using Sharp as well, no luck :(

I love Sharp, I think their TV is the best on the market! Anyway, come on Sharp, you can do it!

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i love how everyone in the news treats sept 12 as a confirmed date. id laugh if its not gonna happen or delayed because of that among other issues they might have