Shattered iPhone 4 while wearing bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calvy, Jul 9, 2010.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

So I just did my own little unplanned drop test. I was getting into my car, and my iphone was in my right hand pocket of my shorts. I reached in to grab it out of my pocket as I opened the car door. The tackyness of the bumper the iphone was wearing caused it to sort of snag on my short pockets, and it came loose out of my hand and landed flat on it's back on the concrete garage floor. The fall was from roughly 3 ft up, not far, not violent, but it made a loud crack noise as it hit. My first thought was "please let it be the back side". I guess I was lucky in that respect, it's easy to replace.

I'm not sure what to do now. Normally I'd sign up for the next available appointment at the apple store and plead for mercy. But I've got a wedding to go to at 2pm tomorrow, and all of the appointments at both of my apple stores are booked until the afternoon. So if I book online, I won't be able to get in until Sunday...which sucks, because I've got pieces of glass coming off in my hand. Can I just walk in tomorrow morning with no appointment and hope they'll treat me ok?

Attached Files:

2. og1 macrumors regular

take off the bumper and cover the back of the phone with packing tape, then put the bumper back on.

3. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would try my luck as a walk in and see what happens. Make the Sunday appointment now though just in case and use your backup phone at the wedding should you not get a replacement right away.

5. og1 macrumors regular

Also, unless your prepared to throw down the $199 for replacement, you might want to save your time and just forget about going in. No way they are going to warranty it.

6. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

8. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Since there are pieces of glass actually coming off of the phone in your hand, they might be a little more apt to get you in as a walk-in before you cut yourself. Good luck!!

9. chromey macrumors member

Guess you haven't read the other 238497293742 "I broke my back glass" threads where 99% of them are getting replaced for free at Apple.

10. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

They will absolutely see you if you walk in. You may have to wait, but you will be seen. (just show them the phone)

11. army91c macrumors 6502a

Not trying to be an ass but why should apple replace your phone? Responsibility for one's own actions is cool, give it a shot.

12. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'd just attempt to walk-in. I'm sure that not everyone makes the appointments they set up.

Hope all goes well!

13. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

People have accidents. It happens. It's not like the OP is pissed at Apple, & acting entitled to a replacement. At least he didn't sound that way. :D

14. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly. I have no intention of getting something for nothing out of this. I'm just a little pissed about several things with the way this phone is designed. Truth b told, I was considering returning it for full refund and going back to my 3GS. Guess that's no longer an option.

I can order a knock off part for 15 bucks and probably replace it easily. I know the part is cheap and easy to replace. I'd be more than happy to pay 50 bucks and have a genius slap another plate on the back and send me on my way. But I know they won't do that. And I've seen the many other threads here where Apple had some mercy on others. So I'm going to try my luck, it does NO harm.

If they won't take pitty on me, I might consider the packing tape idea as suggested until I can easily get a replacement part. I could certainly handle the repair myself, it just seems like parts aren't readily available.

I guess I'll update you all tomorrow. I'm going to make an appointment for like 8pm and plan on leaving this wedding in time to make the apointment. If they won't help me in the a.m. I'll just leave the wedding.

Also, I can't really use my 3GS now because the stupid microsim in the iPhone 4 won't go into the 3GS, and I don't have an adapter. Didn't think I needed one.

15. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

fyi apple replaced it free. The guy first explained my option was to spend 199 bucks or basically tape it up. I just stated that I was a little disappointed that it happened with a bumper on and with a relatively minor fall. He said that it should withstand a fall without the bumper on for a couple of feet...so maybe there was something wrong with the glass in the first place. He "let me see what i can do" and went to the back. Came back and said he'd do a replacement this one time at no cost.

I'm as happy as a kid on christmas morning again. Now I need to find me a better case I guess. Bumper didn't help me at all.

16. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

How exactly did it fall?

If the bumper comes out across the edges of the phone, and it fell flat and onto a flat surface, then how did the back shatter?

17. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Thats awesome.

18. fru macrumors member

Consumer rights.

You shouldn't have to pay to replace an item that should easily sustain the type of impact that was mentioned, especially with a bumper. Apple should start to take some responsibility and the fanboys really need to make a better attempt at holding Apple to account in order to improve the company and it's products.

The level of fanboyism shown by some on this forum is both amusing and sad.

19. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

This further proves what i think. Bumpers don't matter at all. It's all in how the phone lands. Reason number 432,432,543 not to have an ugly case/bumper on your beautiful iPhone. :)

20. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

That's an excellent experience!

I'd have used one of these to hide it.

Attached Files:

21. xyz1534 macrumors regular

Sweet, Congratulations!! And yeah u need to buy a proper case

22. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Says the guy with a join date of June 2010. Creating an account just to troll is worse then people being fans of a product and posting in a forum dedicated to that product. Trust me, you look more pathetic then any "fanboy" does ;)

23. barachus macrumors regular

has anyone actually used those $20 replacement parts? how is easy is it

24. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Now im not really sure i want the iPod Touch 4G to have the same glass backing...

I guess ill have to get a really good case!

25. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I shattered my Beer bottle last night while it was in a koozie. Seriously, these posts are getting old basically saying "A phone made out of glass shattered when I dropped it."