Shattered iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nicroma, Jul 25, 2010.

1. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

My wife slipped and fell last night and shattered her new iPhone 4. The front and back glass shattered. It was in her purse and flew out on the way down. We drove 2 hours to the nearest Apple store this morning after making an appointment and Apple was more concerned that my wife was OK. We were planning on paying the $199 fee to get it repaired and they did it for free without us asking.

So I guess I'm just making this thread because I'm glad that Apple really does care about their customers. Every time I have had an issue, Apple has gone above and beyond. :D

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Really nice of them. A happy customer is absolutely priceless, companies need to understand this.

Oh, and good for you :D. Hope your wife is okay!

3. dKran macrumors member

Great to hear :)

I've been hearing a lot of this actually, which is great considering they're totally not expected to do so!

4. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

With all the negative posts here lately, I'm happy to read something like this. first and foremost, it's god your wife is OK! It's quite nice of them to do that for you guys too. It pays to tell the truth, and not make up some story about how it broke. I finds more people have luck being honest with them.

5. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

Just proves the mark up on these phones, they wouldn't be doing it if it lost them money. They could probably make 5 for the price that they charge of 1

6. SmackP macrumors member

I know what an iPhone is but what is a 'wife'?

7. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I was not expecting this, I thought it was gonna be another run for the waaaaaambulance. I'm glad everything worked out.

9. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Something makes me think you have an attractive wife and you had a male genius. If you went by yourself things may have been different lol. On the other hand, maybe you just have great geniuses there who felt your pain. Either way, glad to hear it was fixed.

10. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Wow, that's good to hear.

Why do you think they did it free of charge? Is your wife a super fox or somethin'? :D Doubt many will get that deal.

11. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Haha. great minds...

12. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

It's really good to see posts like this. Lately the forums have been filled up with whiney bitches that make this place seem like DayCare. I'm glad to hear your wife is ok, and that Apple took care of everything. :apple:

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

How true...

Hope your wifes OK.

I dont know which side im on for whether or not Apple should have repaired it; i mean it was accidental damage, but then again that glass shouldnt be that easy to break... :confused:

14. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Interesting. So if I broke my phone, and I make up some story on how it got broken ... like I was saving a bus full of nuns from being eaten by predators ... they will fix it for free?

15. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

Didnt you see the thread earlier...some drunken kid broke it on a night out and they replaced it for free :confused:

16. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

I was waiting for someone to say this. So much for the glass is half full.

17. chembox macrumors 6502a

I heard that Apple Stores would replace the first x amount of cracked iPhones free of charge for further testing on the glass...

18. nicroma thread starter macrumors 6502a

nicroma

First of all, we didn't make anything up. My wife didn't cry fake tears. Although she did start crying out of happiness when he walked out with a new phone to hand her for free. Second, we had full intention of paying.

19. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Yeah? And where did you hear this from? I'm pretty sure not everyone going back right now with shattered glass is getting a free repair...

Also, further testing how? You mean, they're continuing testing the glass currently in production, and if they are to improve it then no more free repairs? Is this anything like the "silent" recall due to flawed antennas that Apple claims won't happen?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I'd love to think apple is continuing to test and improve the hardware currently in production. But they have admitted there won't be a hardware change or a software fix for for the signal issues. So I'm doubtful they would do any different regarding the glass. I think they just don't want to upset all the early adopters in announcing this, and would rather "replace" phones at the genius bar for those that bother to come in than for everyone from launch to expect "new" boxed phones.

20. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

FWIW, I don't think he was questioning the legitimacy of your story, just the usual trolling of a positive thread.

21. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Glad to hear everything worked out well & that your wife is OK! It gives me some hope that, being a chick and a clumsy one at that, I have a hope in hell of Apple being nice to me when (not if) I fall and smash my iPhone. :)

22. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Ha. Yeah, I told my girlfriend this story as she's pretty clumsy too. But she would get a good case regardless. It would be nice of Apple to even lower the price of repair, seeing how fragile this glass back seems to be.

23. nicroma thread starter macrumors 6502a

nicroma

I just noticed something interesting with her new phone antenna. Her old iPhone 4, as well as my current iPhone 4, easily drop bars by touching the bottom left. I cannot recreate this with her new phone. I know Apple said there are no hardware changes but it definitely does not have the antenna problem. Her new phone did not come with 4.0.1 FWIW.

Oh well, thanks for reading and the kind comments about the safety of my wife.

24. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have a feeling they're taking as many iPhones back as they can so they can fix the antenna issue.

25. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Steve said it was the laws of physics, I doubt they have conquered those laws since last Friday afternoon.